I bought my husband and I identical Blackberry Curve 8520 from T-Mobile.

I got mine set up first. Downloaded Poynt and Google maps and was happy with the applications. I then installed the desktop tools CD and allowed it to run about 400 "upgrades",
    The GPS in Poynt and Google maps no longer work. It says my GPS chip has been deactivated and to go to Advanced Options and GPS Services Location ON.

I do not have this option any longer. It now gives me 3 options:
    GPS Data Source "None" (Can't change)
    GPS Services "Location OFF (Can't change)
    Location Data "Enabled" (Can toggle)

I have not run the "upgrade" disc on my husbands BB and POYNT does work on his system.
    Under Advanced Options ot says:
    Data source "None"
    GPS Services "Location ON"

Is there a fix or patch to turn my Location ON so I can use Poynt /Google Maps again?
    zzaid likes this.
    09-20-10 07:20 PM
    When you installed the desktop tools CD, did you see any messages about overwriting newer files with older ones? A new BlackBerry should have the latest officially released software installed. The CD that comes in the package, on the other hand, may be months out of date.
    09-20-10 07:38 PM
    The 8520 does not have internal GPS

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-10 08:24 PM
    8520 -> no GPS

You can use google maps, but it will just give you cell tower location, which is only accurate to like 2000metres.

the 8530 was the same but had GPS.
    09-20-10 11:07 PM
    GSM=No GPS.

If your using WiFi or UMA, your position will be very accurate. Google Maps usually has me within 1000 meters, which for directions and map locations is acceptable.
    09-21-10 08:52 AM
    I think you are on track Jeff. The disc was a mistake. How can I get the latest verions of files to overright the old ones now? Should I delete Poynt and reinstall or is it in operating system. Any suggestions to get LOCATION ON back?
    09-21-10 11:35 AM
    I think you are on track Jeff. The disc was a mistake. How can I get the latest verions of files to overright the old ones now? Should I delete Poynt and reinstall or is it in operating system. Any suggestions to get LOCATION ON back?
    You are missing the point. You cant turn GPS location on because the 8520 does not have GPS.
    09-21-10 12:04 PM
    I was right about the disk, but unfortunately the more important issue is that your 8520 does not have an internal GPS. There's nothing you can do to enable what does not exist. Your best option is to buy an external Bluetooth GPS. Several models are available from the CrackBerry store.
    09-21-10 12:16 PM
    I want to use the cell tower location and it is turned off on mine (with no option to turn on) but works fine on my husbands "identical" phone.

Would it be the phones operating system that would need to be udated so that Advance Options would say GPS Services "Location ON"?
    09-22-10 09:45 AM
    I really dont mean to be a ****, but there is no way physically possible for you to have a 8520 and enable the GPS because IT DOES NOT EXIST. GPS is only on the 8530.

Just because there is a option on Poynt to turn on GPS does not mean you have GPS. It is impossible to have GPS in your husbands phone.

Any triangulation of your position is done by cell tower, not by global positioning.
    09-22-10 10:00 AM
    I want to use the cell tower location and it is turned off on mine (with no option to turn on) but works fine on my husbands "identical" phone.

Would it be the phones operating system that would need to be udated so that Advance Options would say GPS Services "Location ON"?
    There is no software option that can enable hardware that does not exist in your phone. RWW and I have explained it as simply as possible. I don't know what else to say.
    09-22-10 10:08 AM
    I

No it would need to be the device, service plan and carrier that need to be updated.

Last edited by RWWackoStu; 09-22-10 at 10:18 AM.
    09-22-10 10:12 AM
    I finally called T-mobile and they got all excited because they had an "unknown issue" and put me through to the top at Blackberry. I had the latest version of the OS but the new disk for desktop manager is flawed and disabling some of my features (cell tower location). 21/2 hrs later I had downloaed a fresh Desktop Manager from their website, backed up my blackberry and then downloaded and reinstalled the OS again. This was successfull.

Moral to the story: Don't use the disc that comes with the phone. Download Desktop Manager from the Blackberry website.
    09-23-10 05:19 PM
    Second moral of the story is that you still dont have a GPS in your phone!
    09-24-10 09:10 AM
    I know what you are referring to kejones.

I have the same issue. My Advanced Options, GPS menu is showing differently then the past 2 8520's that I've had. RWW & Jeff, you are correct that there is no GPS but we are trying to use the tower sites for locations instead of the actual location.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-10 12:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD