Hi all,

I've heard that there is a way to use GPS on BB 8900 without data plan when connected to bluetooth receiver is that true? If so what sort of receiver would you recommend and free software which will support it.

Regards
    05-25-09 11:25 AM
    correct me if i'm wrong - but i think you need a data plan to have the maps (they update via a data connection) the gps receiver wouldn't make a difference...
    05-25-09 11:36 AM
    correct me if i'm wrong - but i think you need a data plan to have the maps (they update via a data connection) the gps receiver wouldn't make a difference...
    That is correct... no data plan, no maps... I believe there are some GPS devices on CB, but that will only give you GPS coordinates which are a little hard to use unless you have a GPS maps.
    05-25-09 11:44 AM
    TrekBuddy will work with either the internal GPS receiver or an external bluetooth GPS puck. It's designed for use in areas without a cell signal, so it allows you to preload maps on your media card. Google Maps, Nav4All, amAze, BBMaps, Garmin Mobile and GPSed all require you to have a data plan to download the maps in real time, whether you use a puck or the internal GPS.
    05-25-09 02:57 PM
    Thanks JefH I will check that info.

Regards
    05-26-09 03:39 AM
    Actually, you can have GPS without a data plan: Crackberry: GPS Without Data Plan. Instructions are at the bottom of page 1. You have to do a bit of work to set up the maps (that's what I'm up doing tonight - downloading and installing custom maps of Italy), but then you don't have to use data to have GPS functionality.
    05-26-09 04:11 AM
    Actually, you can have GPS without a data plan: Crackberry: GPS Without Data Plan. Instructions are at the bottom of page 1. You have to do a bit of work to set up the maps (that's what I'm up doing tonight - downloading and installing custom maps of Italy), but then you don't have to use data to have GPS functionality.
    The program in the link you reference appears to work the same way as TrekBuddy, in that you download your maps in advance. I did not mean to imply that you can't use a GPS without a data plan. You certainly can. You just can't get maps downloaded in real time to your BlackBerry. If you don't need real time maps, and especially if you are going to be using maps in the same location a lot (like in a city), this could be a good solution. Thanks for posting it. I had overlooked the thread before now.
    05-26-09 05:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD