I know the Bold has GPS built-in. I have read several posts about GPS but can't seem to find an answer to my question.

Is the GPS active as soon as I turn the phone on? Basically I'm trying to figure out if I can I use the GPS with one of the free apps, like Amaze, without paying AT&T.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't figure it out.
    shorrar
    05-31-09 09:43 PM
    Yes you can use Amaze or Nav4all or any of the other free gps apps.
    05-31-09 09:52 PM
    Go to Options / Advanced Options / GPS and turn Location Based Services (the name may be slightly different) On if it is not On already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 10:53 PM
    yup, what the previous posters said is all correct. check out gps forums for more info on gps apps suggestions

http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/
    06-01-09 12:29 AM
    Ok, I installed amAze and made sure the GPS was turned on as JeffH stated above but I am getting "Communication Problem" message.
    I made sure I was outside and even checked it at a couple of different locations.
    Any suggestions?
    06-01-09 09:48 PM
    You do need a data plan for any of the map programs.
    06-01-09 10:06 PM
    i'm having the same connection error problem with amaze gps. why would we need a data plan if we had a wifi connection to actively download the mapping for a gps program like amazegps or googlemaps?
    06-04-09 01:49 AM
    oh yea, and the GPS settings are: GPS: Device GPS, Location ON.

...yet it is not pinging in on my location; its not showing long and lat coordinates
    06-04-09 01:54 AM
    nm. i got gps to zero in on me by gps refresh, however, amazegps still doesn't work.
    06-04-09 02:03 AM
    i'm having the same connection error problem with amaze gps. why would we need a data plan if we had a wifi connection to actively download the mapping for a gps program like amazegps or googlemaps?
    Wifi is relatively new to BlackBerry devices and is only available on a couple of devices at this writing. And wifi is of no use while driving. So developers simply haven't written their programs to use it. They support the more general solution of acquiring maps thru your data connection, because that's always available. That's not to say wifi will never be supported, but it's probably why it hasn't been to date.
    06-04-09 05:23 AM
    Wifi is relatively new to BlackBerry devices and is only available on a couple of devices at this writing. And wifi is of no use while driving. So developers simply haven't written their programs to use it. They support the more general solution of acquiring maps thru your data connection, because that's always available. That's not to say wifi will never be supported, but it's probably why it hasn't been to date.
    So JeffH, are there maps out there that I can put on my SD card and use (like the TomTom or Garmin) while driving.
    Thanks,
    shorrar
    06-04-09 09:11 PM
    So JeffH, are there maps out there that I can put on my SD card and use (like the TomTom or Garmin) while driving.
    Thanks,
    shorrar
    I am aware of two programs that allow you to download maps in advance to a media card: TrekBuddy and Mobile GMaps. I haven't used either. You can find more about them in the GPS and Tracking Forum, or by googling their names.
    06-04-09 09:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD