I haven't yet purchased a BB9700 and had a simple question about its GPS function. I sometimes go hiking in the mountains where there tends to be no cell reception but I'd still like to use the GPS to mark where the car is for when I'm returning to it. How well would this work?

Could someone please:
    1) Turn off all wireless communications
    2) Save a marker (without a pre-loaded map)
    3) Walk 100ft or so away from that spot
    4) Set marked spot as destination
    5) See how BB responds (blank map with current position and destination marked? Compass towards destionation?)
    6) Report results back to me

Thank you in advance!

7) PS don't forget to turn back on your wireless communications
    04-08-10 02:31 PM
    I tried to take out my SIM card and get a GPS signal and couldn't get a GPS signal... dunno why.... but we [pete6 and i] talked about it on a different thread.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 02:32 PM
    I tried to take out my SIM card and get a GPS signal and couldn't get a GPS signal... dunno why.... but we [pete6 and i] talked about it on a different thread.

Yes, I remember the conversation. I am not sure if the OP is going to remove his SIM card. It is also not clear why GPS will fail when the phone has a valid (worked a few miles back, before I walked out of cell mast range) SIM card installed.

Look at BlackStar, a free GPS app with waypoints http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/bla...ng-app-183917/. If the GPS works and it probably will, then this bit of mapless (you need a cell data connection for map updates) software should do what you want.
    04-08-10 02:55 PM
    Without a sim card the device is in SOS only mode.

I will try something later. A program like Compass should still work since it is mainly a compass but any program that downloads a map real time will not work since that is done over the air. You could most likely us a "garmin" type app that is pulling maps off your uSD card.

04-08-10 02:55 PM
    Without a sim card the device is in SOS only mode.

I will try something later. A program like Compass should still work since it is mainly a compass but any program that downloads a map real time will not work since that is done over the air. You could most likely us a "garmin" type app that is pulling maps off your uSD card.

Those programs to do NOT pull maps off of the Micro SD card. They load the information to pull the map information via BIS/BES and make your screen look like a Automotive GPS....

Last edited by mjneid; 04-08-10 at 03:06 PM.
    04-08-10 02:59 PM
    hello
    is there any program with gps that has navigation that works on bb 9700 bold (like destinator , garmin)
    04-08-10 03:04 PM
    hello
    is there any program with gps that has navigation that works on bb 9700 bold (like destinator , garmin)
    There are dozens of GPS applications, Garmin, TeleNav, both have them along with quite a few private ones.

04-08-10 03:07 PM
    There is a big difference between having no SIM card and a vlid SIM card inserted and recdently working but is currently out of cell tower range.

The SIM card enabled losts of things, some carrier specific. There is noit reason howver why the GPS receiver could not (note the words, carrier specific again) work and provide Latitude and Longditue data to an app.

BlackStar uses no maps and so could be one choice for a working phone, using GPS with no cell or data plan coverage.
    04-08-10 03:41 PM
    I appreciate all of the help. I would keep the sim card in the whole time, just not get a signal. It looks like blackstar may be just what I need. Thanks

As a side note, I posted this same comment at pretty much the same time on supportforrums.blackberry.com and blackberryforrums.com and so far I haven't received any feedback from supportforrums.blackberry.com and I've only received "you can't do that" and "it's useless" on blackberryforrums.com. So kudos to forums.crackberry.com for being a superior site!
    04-08-10 04:02 PM
    My 9000 works great with GPS without SIM card in it..
    04-08-10 04:29 PM
    I just shut down wifi and the mobile network then launched Compass. It was able to lock on just fine. If you can find a GPS program that can be loaded in that pulls manually loaded maps from a uSD card, it should work just fine.

04-08-10 04:57 PM
    Interesting thread!
    04-08-10 05:17 PM
    There are dozens of GPS applications, Garmin, TeleNav, both have them along with quite a few private ones.

thks . can u tell me where to download garmin or (telenav i think doesnt have greek maps).is there any hint for install any of them on bb?
    04-10-10 02:41 PM
    my basic understanding is to use gps without a data connection/cell tower signal is if all the maps are loaded on your phone.

a-gps will locate faster than regular gps due to a-gps triangulating an approx location for the satellites. Programs like google maps and amaze though will need a signal to load maps for you.

its kinda interesting i hadn't thought about using my phone when we go hiking and/or bike riding just because i already have a hand held gps. here's a brief read on gps vs a-gps (http://tiny.cc/agps) if you're interested.
    04-10-10 03:02 PM
    oh and here is Garmin for Blackberry

but it won't work either without a data connection

Question: Are there any special services that I need to have on my phone in order for Garmin Mobile for Blackberry to work?
    Answer:

Yes, the phone must be in an area where it can browse the internet via either the provider's data service plan or a digital roaming area with data service availability
    Last edited by Spoon3081; 04-10-10 at 03:19 PM. Reason: found out it will not work for what he wants.
    04-10-10 03:04 PM
    ok on further searching found out that Mobile Gmaps or TrekBuddy may work the way you're wanting.
    04-10-10 03:42 PM
    oh and here is Garmin for Blackberry

but it won't work either without a data connection
    hi
    i am ok to work with data connection ....where i can download garmin for free (cracked)?
    04-11-10 07:35 AM
    hi
    i am ok to work with data connection ....where i can download garmin for free (cracked)?
    Do not ask for cracked or pirated software in this forum. It is illegal and you know it. It's a fast way to get banned.
    04-11-10 07:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD