I backpack a lot, I have a GPS enabled phone. The question is will I be able to receive GPS signals even when I don't have phone service?
    10-30-09 09:02 AM
    You can receive the signals, but you'll need an application that doesn't depend on "the network."
    10-30-09 09:07 AM
    You can receive the signals, but you'll need an application that doesn't depend on "the network."
    I got ya, what, if any applications would that be? anybody have a suggestion?
    I am currently using GPS Logger.
    what I am trying to achieve is not actually using the GPS for navigation but for logging the route I am taking so I can download it at a later date to a mapping system for reference. I have a Garmin for navigation, but it does not download to a laptop. Its an older version of Garmin, it works great but lacks a lot of features.
    10-30-09 09:27 AM
    GPS Logger will do that, doesn't it? You can sent the logged file via email to yourself, then import into Google Maps. Not exactly sure if it will sync with other programs. At least it worked like that the few times I played with it to see if it worked.
    10-30-09 10:00 AM
    GPS Logger will do that, doesn't it? You can sent the logged file via email to yourself, then import into Google Maps. Not exactly sure if it will sync with other programs. At least it worked like that the few times I played with it to see if it worked.
    Yes GPS logger does exactly that, I have used it around town and downloaded to Google earth and it works really well. I have not had a chance to use it in the woods yet. What I was wondering that I cant find the answer to is does it work even if you don't have a phone or tower signals. I guess I need to head out and see if it does work.
    I usually hike the Great Smoky Mountains and in some areas on top of the mountains cell coverage is good, but down in the valleys not so good.
    10-30-09 10:28 AM
    Oh... gotcha. Try a test by shutting off the radio part of your phone. Just have the GPS part running- no data or phone. That should give you the answer you want.
    10-30-09 11:00 AM
    Oh... gotcha. Try a test by shutting off the radio part of your phone. Just have the GPS part running- no data or phone. That should give you the answer you want.
    GPSlogger works fine without CELL signals. It does not need either phone or data while logging.

Here's one from the far North Cascades - no phone or data.
    10-30-09 02:02 PM
    GPSlogger works fine without CELL signals. It does not need either phone or data while logging.

Here's one from the far North Cascades - no phone or data.
    Sweet! Exactly what I was hoping for. Now I don't need to go buy a new Garmin. I was unfortunate enough to get one with out upgrade options.
    Thanks all
    10-30-09 02:17 PM
    Oh, you might want to check out the threads in the gps subforum - particularly, using the gps without data (you can pre-download maps on place them on the BB). Not hard but not easy, either.

Also, I keep my Tour in an Otterbox case - not entirely waterproof but better protection from the elements including rain and rocks!!! Also, the battery might not be as long-lived as other gps units. If really remote - turn off the radio/data communications.
    10-30-09 08:49 PM
    It also depends on the gps chip in your phone. Many are AGPS only which requires a cell tower to assist in acquiring a GPS location.

If you have a Storm or Tour, I believe they are dual mode which are both GPS and AGPS. So they will work without a cell tower.
    11-01-09 10:22 AM
    F5fstop

I used gpslogger to get me back to a snowy trail in early June. I just traipsed cross country across the snow till I converged back to my departure point from an hour earlier.

Is your avatar Lion's head or back outside of Moab or just some other slickrock locale?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-09 12:42 PM
    Good warning. The fact that BB's are less water-resistant then outdoor-oriented gps units is also a concern. Was down in the Escalante a year ago Sept. Used my Garmin 76cs and MAPS.

As for Lion's Back - friend and I stayed at their rather seedy camping area a number of years ago. We were pretty blown away when these vehicles emerged from the other side and rolled on down. Then we saw folks driving up. We walked it the next morning, and frankly, I could barely get traction on foot!!! (g) You live in a wonderfully scenic area. I first did Island in the Sky in the early 70's and Moab has changed - some for the better and some, not so!
    11-03-09 08:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD