I'm wondering how I use my GPS. I have a data plan so I know I can access it.

but when i go to Options<Advanced Options< GPS I have GPS Data Source: none.. GPS Services: Location ON. I tried to change the GPS Data Source and there's no other option.

so how do i use this?

thanks!
    12-03-08 09:47 AM
    You have to have some application on your device that can access it. I don't use it, but someone will come along with suggestions.
    12-03-08 09:49 AM
    There are plenty of apps out there..I have 4 total gps's now. 3 Garmin and my 8310. One of the more popular gps apps is Google Maps..but there are plenty others..look in http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/
    there plenty of other apps just depends on what you want to use it for.

jim
    12-03-08 09:54 AM
    ok thanks!!
    im not sure if tmobile has the gps navigation program if thats what you referring to,
    sprint has sprint navigation, and that does require data plan and a gps reciver,
    i read somewhere that people were able to install tomtom on their bb?? but i wouldnt know how
    good luck
    google maps is not a gps, it only triangulates your position by cell tower signal, its close but its no gps,
    12-03-08 09:57 AM
    google maps is not a gps, it only triangulates your position by cell tower signal, its close but its no gps,
    Bart is correct. I use Google Maps because it's free and good enough for me, but it only finds you by the closest tower. GPS can generally find you within 3 meters, Google will be anywhere from 500-2500 meters in most cases.
    12-03-08 10:01 AM
    Google Maps, from what I've read can use either GPS and cell towers to find your location.
    12-03-08 10:13 AM
    Bart, Not true. If you have a GPS radio in your Curve, it will first use the cell towers until it picks up the GPS signal. I'm on it right now. Free, and works great.
    12-03-08 10:13 AM
    Yep..it can use either..watch this video..

which came from this link:
    Google Mobile - Maps

jim
    12-03-08 10:16 AM
    Your 8320 (your profile says this) does not have GPS incorporated. The 8310 and the 8330 have GPS but the 8320 has WiFi instead of GPS.

If you did have GPS the Google Maps will work just fine down to 3 metres when GPS is available (outside) - I use it all the time on my 8310 - otherwise it just does what has already been mentioned and triangiulates off the GSM towers. You can still use Google Maps Google Maps but you will only get positiional accuracy of about 2000 metres.
    12-03-08 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD