I am on Verizon and so I am looking into getting a gps puck. CB has 4 or 5 different brands. Any suggestions or recommendations on which model is best?

If you have one of these models are you happy with it? Any help would be appreciated.
    08-27-08 05:50 PM
    08-27-08 05:54 PM
    I love my freedom 2000 keychain gps. It is the only one I have any experience with.
    08-27-08 06:31 PM
    Another Freedom. I find it works really well. It finds satellites pretty quickly and shows very accurate location data. It also seems to track very well in tree cover.
    08-27-08 07:10 PM
    I use the Garmin 10x and it works awesome.
    08-27-08 07:23 PM
    Thanks for the info everyone. Has anyone used the Globalsat BT-338? How does it compare with the Freedom?
    08-27-08 09:29 PM
    I have the Freedom Keychain 2000 as well. One small nit you should know about: Google Maps cannot keep the Freedom Keychain 2000 locked. The puck requires a regular acknowledgement from the device, or it goes into battery-saver mode and drops the bluetooth connection. Google Maps is unable to provide this acknowledgement. Blackberry Maps can. So if you want to run Google Maps, it will be necessary to start Blackberry Maps first, let it sync with the GPS, then exit it without closing it and start Google Maps. If you do this, Google Maps will run with no problem.

This issue is not a reason not to buy the Freedom, but it is a reason to at least consider an alternative. The Freedom is the only puck that's been identified so far that has this issue. I like mine, and am not interested in trading, but you need to know about this before it surprises you.
    08-27-08 10:50 PM
    Thanks for the information Jeff.

Has anyone used the Globalsat BT-338? How does it compare with the Freedom?

Any other pros or cons?
    08-28-08 12:16 PM
    I don't recall seeing that unit discussed previously. It might be worth your time to do a forum search for the model number. If it's ever been discussed, you'll find it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-08 12:48 PM
    I have the globalSAT and have been very happy with it and my 8830. It takes abt 30 sec to lock on; once the green light is flashing, then I start my app.

I prefer the amAzeGPS 4.2 (don't care about the sound, though it is clipped - I understand there is a fix but I haven't installed it). Once it locks on, it stays on. I took a trip that was about 4 hours of driving. I logged in the destination address when I started, and the tracking seemed very accurate throughout the trip.

The puck never turned off while I was in transit, and, since I already knew where I was going, it gave me the opportunity to veriofy the accuracy of the puck and amAze.

I have also used the puck w/ bb maps and google maps, and again, locking on 4 or more satellites and holding them has not been a problem.

I've never tried the Freedom puck, but I'm happy with the GlobalSAT BT-338. Now. if someone wants to donate a Freedom puck, I'll be happy to try it out!!!
    08-30-08 08:59 AM
    Thanks for posting that review. Are you familiar with the power-saver issue with the Freedom Keychain 2000? I discussed it in my 8/28 post. Have you used the GlobalSAT with Google Maps? I'd be interested to know if you had the same or similar problem with Google Maps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-08 10:01 AM
    GlobalSAT BT-338 looks pretty huge... Like the size of a clamshell cellphone. And like 90-100 bucks.

How big is the Freedom, it doesnt look large.
    08-31-08 10:04 PM
    The Freedom is about 1.75" L x 1.25" W x 0.5" H, exclusive of its snap clip. It's very lightweight. I typically wear mine on a belt loop. It's matte black and hardly ever noticed.
    08-31-08 10:43 PM
    Seems considerably smaller than the GlobalSat.
    08-31-08 10:47 PM
    The key word in the Freedom Keychain 2000 is "Keychain." It's intended to be carried on a keychain, and is smaller than many car door key fobs.
    08-31-08 11:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD