I bought a new Pearl Flip 8230 at Virgin Mobile Canada. The GPS location is on but BB Maps can't find it and said that GPS lock is impossible. I also try with Google Maps and GPSed.

Anyone got GPS problem with Virgin Mobile ?

PS : I have data plan.
    07-09-09 05:43 AM
    I have the same problem with US Cellular and my pearl flip. My buddy who just got a pearl flip on US Cellular doesn't have a problem. I'm going to go back and exchange mine, but I haven't had time yet.
    07-09-09 05:47 AM
    This might sound silly but...are you trying to use it inside? For GPS to work you basically need line of sight with the satellite. My friend's Garmin stops working when he pulls into his garage. Just an idea...not trying to insult anyone.
    07-12-09 08:46 PM
    This might sound silly but...are you trying to use it inside? For GPS to work you basically need line of sight with the satellite. My friend's Garmin stops working when he pulls into his garage. Just an idea...not trying to insult anyone.
    Yes, I've been outside.

I just got off the phone with US Cellular and RIM tech support. RIM told me it was because I didn't have enough cell phone signal for the GPS to work. ( 2 bars )

Umm...ok, I didn't realize that GPS satellites relied on cell signal.
    07-14-09 06:04 PM
    It does rely on cell signal, its a protocol called A-GPS and it zeros in on the signal the same way google maps uses the tower signal. That way the GPS transmitter gets a faster satellite lock, since its looking right where the cell signal is coming from. Not sure if you can force off A-GPS with a pearl flip and have it just use the the satellite lock tho.
    07-15-09 02:09 AM
    Has anyone tried Google maps yet? And does it (the GPS) really work or does it just triangulate the signal based on cell tower positions?
    07-15-09 11:04 PM
    Google maps is far superior to blackberry's default GPS app.
    07-16-09 01:35 PM
    I am a uscc pearl flip user.
    i talked to uscc dts, and bb tech. they had me reload software which had no effect. I was told after i did that by bb tech support that the bb maps issue is cdma wide because of the qualcom chip set, and uscc does not possess pde technology which enables the gps function...
    This was a huge load of ####!!!!!
    my wife has a curve, i had a curve, they both worked!!!!
    Dont waste your time with dts or bb support!!!
    here is the fix...........
    Find and download garmin gps free trial 5.0.4. use desk top manager to install.
    If you cant find it pm me or email me, i have it at 4shared.com.
    Once installed, garmin fixes your gps.
    You can then start bb maps and get a lock in seconds< inside, outside, in a car going 70 mph!!!!!
    Since the fix, i have gotten the cant acquire gps lock error, but i have amaze gps on my flip, I fire that up, and all is well.....
    I hope this helps alot of people!!!!!
    07-16-09 07:16 PM
    Is it too late to try this fix? (garmin 5.0.4 free trial)
    Looks like your post is dated last year...
    Are you still around and can you help me get garmin 5.0.4 free trial?
    I've done some searching but can't find it.

Thanks!

ps - I've got the Pearl Flip 8220
    Last edited by m00ndogg; 07-19-09 at 05:37 AM. Reason: model of phone didn't show up
    07-19-09 05:36 AM
    Is it too late to try this fix? (garmin 5.0.4 free trial)
    Looks like your post is dated last year...
    Are you still around and can you help me get garmin 5.0.4 free trial?
    I've done some searching but can't find it.

Thanks!

ps - I've got the Pearl Flip 8220
    No this post is from a few days ago. And I believe you need the 8130 version to download. But I may be wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by strunke; 07-19-09 at 11:17 PM.
    07-19-09 11:13 PM
    AllTel ts just told me that for anything GPA u have to have the telenav app is this true?

07-23-09 10:24 AM
    Hit the following link with your BB to get your free trial:
    hxxp://getmobile.garmin.com/trial (change the x's to t's)

Unfortunately this link reports that my Pearl Flip 8230 does not qualify for the free trial (don't know about the 8220).
    Last edited by peterfrostad; 07-25-09 at 01:29 PM.
    07-25-09 01:26 PM
    I try Garmin trial and it's not working for my Pearl Flip. The app work great on it but the GPS still not working.

Maybe it work for other - just have to download the Garmin trial for 8130 to your desktop and install with the desktop manager.
    07-26-09 05:49 PM
    Does anyone know what kind of gps chip is in the flip 8230? Is it a standalone, agps, or hybrid?

07-28-09 07:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD