I am new to the world of Blackberry, having just got my Pearl 8110, on AT&T. My question is how to enable or turn on the GPS. It says that the Data Source is "Device GPS", and the Service is "Location ON", and that Location Aiding is "Enable", but it does not find any satellites, or give me my Latitude and Longitude. What do I need to do to get GPS working? Thanks.
    08-18-08 10:33 AM
    I just got an 8110 for one of our guys here. We were able to download the Att Telenav no problem. The directions on the ATT site were actually great, however it doesn't find any satellites either. When I go into advanced options, and GPS, I show exactly what cbDennis is showing. I took the phone in a field here with wide open skys, powered off, and back on, but still no satellites. It just says satellites 0, and it doesn't appear to even be searching. What are we doing wrong?
    08-18-08 11:55 AM
    you guys do have data packages with your carrier right? cbdennis are you outside?
    08-18-08 12:02 PM
    go to options>advanced>gps...hit menu refresh gps
    08-18-08 12:06 PM
    go to options>advanced>gps...hit menu refresh gps
    If you don't pay for the Telenav service, but do have data service, can you still utilize third party GPS apps like Blackberry Tracker? I downloaded the tracker, but it doesn't seem to allow GPS tracking.
    08-18-08 12:15 PM
    Hi pltalyor. Yes, I do have the data plan. I just tried doing the Refresh GPS, outside, and it failed. I do not have the AT&T Navigator plan. I want to use some other map programs instead.
    08-18-08 01:38 PM
    I don't think you have to have att's navigator but I can't swear to that, not my carrier, you'll have to ask them that. Verizon disables the gps forcing you to pay extra for there navigation program. make sure you have given full permissions to the gps options>advanced>applications>find the program your using google maps or whatever hit menu> edit permissions> set all to allow and SAVE try again
    08-18-08 01:46 PM
    Hi pltaylor. I have not installed any map apps yet. I was trying to get the GPS working first. I thought that it should at least give my the lat/long. I have a 4 GB card installed, so maybe I should try installing one of the map apps. I have seen reference to mobile gmaps, and google maps, and bbmaps. I have also seen Garmin mobile maps, but that one I would have to buy, and I don't want to buy until the GPS is working.
    08-18-08 02:04 PM
    Hi pltaylor. I have not installed any map apps yet. I was trying to get the GPS working first. I thought that it should at least give my the lat/long. I have a 4 GB card installed, so maybe I should try installing one of the map apps. I have seen reference to mobile gmaps, and google maps, and bbmaps. I have also seen Garmin mobile maps, but that one I would have to buy, and I don't want to buy until the GPS is working.
    I agree it should register lat/long. Garmin has a free 30 day trialBlackBerry - PDA GPS Software - Navigation & PDA Map Software at BlackBerry.com
    08-18-08 02:31 PM
    Success! I tried the Refresh GPS thing again, except this time I went out to the middle of the parking lot, and I picked up 4 sats. Before, I was just outside the building, and I remembered reading that sometimes being close to building sometimes causes problems, depending on where the sats are.

Thanks pltaylor for the direct to the Refresh GPS menu option. Now to decide which map app to use. I also came across e-Mobile GPS Companion, and they say that it works online or offline. It would be nice to have maps that work, even if I am someplace where I don't get cell service.
    08-18-08 02:57 PM
    good job! google maps will work off line as well let me know if you need anything else.
    08-18-08 03:24 PM
    Success! I tried the Refresh GPS thing again, except this time I went out to the middle of the parking lot, and I picked up 4 sats. Before, I was just outside the building, and I remembered reading that sometimes being close to building sometimes causes problems, depending on where the sats are.

Thanks pltaylor for the direct to the Refresh GPS menu option. Now to decide which map app to use. I also came across e-Mobile GPS Companion, and they say that it works online or offline. It would be nice to have maps that work, even if I am someplace where I don't get cell service.
    Had the same issue but worked great once actually on the road. ATT Nav is great and they update it frequently.
    08-18-08 10:01 PM
    I don't seem to have a "refresh GPS" in my Advanced Options/GPS...
    Any clues for me?
    11-29-08 10:21 AM
    Now I've found it.
    I'm planning on getting an Sd card tomorrow - I want to try it with static maps and no network connection - maybe MGMaps? Anyone done this yet?
    11-30-08 09:52 PM
    I'm new to the GPS feature on the 8110. I've not able to get the 'Refresh GPS' option when I'm in Advanced Options-GPS-Menu. All I got was 'Close' option when I hit menu. Please advice.
    12-16-08 06:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD