My wife uses the Bold 9700 but the GPS does not seem to work...when I use Bell's GPS (navteq) always get a msg saying weak gps signal and it cannot start the session. Any tips on troubleshooting? can the gps antenna be replaced? phone does not have warranty.
    12-12-10 03:08 PM
    Are you outside with a clear view of the sky? If so, try Options>Advanced Options>GPS>Refresh Satellites. It might take a long time initially.
    12-12-10 03:13 PM
    There is no GPS antenna the receiver itself is built onto the main board. Try another GPS software like Waze or Wisepilot. I find both of these to be better than Bell's GPS software.
    12-12-10 03:13 PM
    Thanks, I'll try both suggestions!
    12-12-10 03:15 PM
    Look in App World for a free app called "GPS Tool" by Tworoads Software.

This will help you determine if it's the software app having issues, or the GPS chip itself.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-12-10 03:20 PM
    What I get with GPS Tool is 0 for everything but Mode...which says Autonomous, Partial Fix
    12-12-10 03:30 PM
    Sounds like the GPS chip isn't firing up.

The obvious thing is do a battery pull and try again.
    If no-change, then it's probably a defective GPS chip and the phone should be returned for replacement.
    12-12-10 04:07 PM
    Yeah looks to be the case. Unfortunately I don't have a warranty on it so I'm out of luck.
    12-12-10 06:18 PM
    Sounds like the GPS chip isn't firing up.

The obvious thing is do a battery pull and try again.
    If no-change, then it's probably a defective GPS chip and the phone should be returned for replacement.
    What about reloading the software? doubt it, but just suggesting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-10 08:58 PM
    yeah I already tried that...actually went from OS 5 to leaked 6..back to 5 and now at 6 again same thing each time.
    12-12-10 10:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD