I have tried Telenav wth my 8830 (Carrier is Alltel) and have been very disappointed. As soon as I leave an area with high speed data service (EVDO) I lose Telenav tracking ability. And I am not talking about walking around deep in the woods in remote areas with my BB. I am on major highways simply driving out of the EVDO coverage area (between Cleveland and Toledo Ohio). Anyone out there using a different GPS navigation tool with their 8830 that is not dependent on maintaining a high speed data connection??

Thanks!
    02-10-08 07:40 AM
    Yep, I had the same problem with TeleNav.

I now use Sprint Navigation powered by TeleNav but I live in a major city and haven't seen the problem yet. I will be traveling for a week next week. I will test that out for you.
    02-10-08 08:17 AM
    I too went from Telenav to Sprint Navigation powered by Telenav (free with Sprint BIS service). I had zero problems with Telenav though must say that the Sprint Navigation service is much slower to acquire satellites and such. Otherwise no issues with either
    02-10-08 09:15 AM
    Thanks for the reply. Any Alltel customers out there with Telenav problems??
    02-10-08 09:48 AM
    Telenav is highly dependent on a fast data connection to update the maps in the background...and anywhere you fall back to 1x coverage, it's going to be an issue no matter who your carrier is.

Best thing you can do is update your PRL. Alltel recently updated PRLs, and has another update due out around 2/19...what these PRLs do is tell your device who's towers to use when roaming - and last one was supposed to allow smart devices to allow roaming on another provider's EVDO first before falling back to 1x on Alltel's network.

And Garmin offers a product that does the same as Telenav for the same price - you can get that via the Handmark Pocket Express portal, and hit the 'extras' page, and then select #3 - 'More' - the Garmin Mobile link under the 'Travel' menu.

I'm partial to my Garmin Nuvi 750 for navigation, and have not bothered to really do a lot of tinkering with Telenav, BBmaps, or Google Maps on my 8830.
    02-10-08 10:18 AM
    Thanks very much. I will update the PRL and check out how Telenav works!
    02-10-08 11:18 AM
    I am in my free 30-day trial of Telenav with AT&T. I am extremely disappointed in the performance of the system. I've tested it a few times in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC and have yet to see it give me good directions to anywhere. It sends me blocks out of my way, mis-calls the names of roads and so on.

Do I need to tweak my settings or something? If I had to depend on Telenav to get me where I was going twice this past week, I would never have gotten there.

(Just noticed that I'm in an 8830 forum. My BB is an 8310 Curve. But I assume Telenav is pretty much Telenav on any of these devices, right?)
    02-17-08 04:09 PM
    (Just noticed that I'm in an 8830 forum. My BB is an 8310 Curve. But I assume Telenav is pretty much Telenav on any of these devices, right?)
    Wrong. CDMA Backberries are aGPS while the GSM ones are just plain GPS. There is a difference.... technically speaking of course.
    02-17-08 07:51 PM
    Wrong. CDMA Backberries are aGPS while the GSM ones are just plain GPS. There is a difference.... technically speaking of course.
    which is better? so far i've found GSM to be a bit nicer in some aspects than CDMA.

i'm kinda regretting reseting my contract with sprint for another two years. i wanted to go AT&T, but the wife doesnt like them. so we stayed with sprint.
    02-17-08 08:12 PM
    I don't think you want to confuse cellular technologies with GPS technologies when you're talking about "reliability". The reason I say this is because with GSM Blackberries the devices have a full GPS chipset in them, but due to chipset and design approaches on the CDMA handsets, Qualcomm decided to do aGPS (Assisted GPS) in order to "hopefully" give better results in terms of location services. In the end this is bull(you know what) because the only thing that aGPS does is just put more money in the pockets of the carriers that use this technology. Personally I like full autonomous GPS because it's free and it's pretty darn accurate unless you're underground. As for cellular technology, I'd have to say that CDMA is pretty damn good, but a lot of that has to do with what carrier you're with. Honestly, if your carrier has a reliable network then reception should be good, but we all know who drops calls and who doesn't.
    02-17-08 10:42 PM
    Telenav is highly dependent on a fast data connection to update the maps in the background...and anywhere you fall back to 1x coverage, it's going to be an issue no matter who your carrier is.

Best thing you can do is update your PRL. Alltel recently updated PRLs, and has another update due out around 2/19...what these PRLs do is tell your device who's towers to use when roaming - and last one was supposed to allow smart devices to allow roaming on another provider's EVDO first before falling back to 1x on Alltel's network.

I know this thread is over a year old but can you explan the PRL's and how do I know what I have and how do I update mine?
    06-13-09 10:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD