Hello, I have spent several hours cruising the threads in the GPS forum and haven't found the answer to my question yet. Perhaps someone can save me some time. I recently became slave to a Blackberry Curve 8330. She runs on the Sprint Network, has 4.3 OS, and is v2.1 of Telenav. Here�s my situation, I ride a motorcycle and want to mount the phone on the bike and use the navigation features while riding. My understanding is that the phone�s GPS application uses a satellite signal in conjunction with a cellular signal to operate. The thing is, I usually ride where a cellular signal may not always be present. Is there a way (3rd party app or additional hardware) to utilize the GPS part without being dependant on the cellular part? Or, am I SOL and needing to buy a "real" GPS device?
    01-22-09 12:49 AM
    You can get bluetooth GPS devices for as little as $30, these don't require the phone to be in network coverage at all. Although if you are only talking about mapping, try TrekBuddy, you have to make your own maps, but doesn't need data connectivity to stream them at all.
    01-22-09 01:29 AM
    I would agree with delta foxtrot2... You can play with TrekBuddy if you can figure out how to create your own maps and all but a "real" GPS would be my choice on a bike. You will probably find the mount more secure and the screen much easier to read without having to keep your eyes on it for too long... not good on a scooter.

Happy Trails
    01-22-09 07:16 AM
    You can play with TrekBuddy if you can figure out how to create your own maps and all
    Googleak does a fair job of this, it seems to be getting easier to use as time goes by too...

You will probably find the mount more secure and the screen much easier to read without having to keep your eyes on it for too long... not good on a scooter.
    That depends if turn by turn nav is what's required or just a quick glance at a map every now and then kind of thing, AmazeGPS.com in non-map mode which as long as you follow its directions and as long as it holds GPS lock shows fairly big arrows on the 9500 screen
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 01-22-09 at 07:55 AM.
    01-22-09 07:52 AM
    I would agree with delta foxtrot2... You can play with TrekBuddy if you can figure out how to create your own maps and all but a "real" GPS would be my choice on a bike. You will probably find the mount more secure and the screen much easier to read without having to keep your eyes on it for too long... not good on a scooter.

Happy Trails
    +1 Look at the Garmin Zumo series. I have the 550. I was considering ditching it and just using the Storm, but I like the Zumo for the pre-planning/route making capabilities.
    01-22-09 07:50 PM
    I have the Garmin Nuvi 360 on my bike with a RAM mount and works great. I hear the Zumo works great as well since its made specifically for the bike
    01-23-09 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD