Does anyone know how to access the actual GPS coordinates? The HELP is of no help, since it incorrectly lists a menu item that does not exist.
    04-01-10 10:11 AM
    The only way I know to access the GPS coordinates on a CDMA phone without using 3rd party software is to perform the GPS portion of the self-test. Go to Options / Status, type test and select the GPS test. The output is your latitude and longitude. Many of the free GPS apps also report your location.

In Google Maps, press 0 to set the map center to your location, then go to Help / About. The screen will display the coordinates of the map center.

In BBMaps, you can send your location to yourself via SMS. The sent info includes your lat / lon.

What Help menu are you looking at?
    Last edited by JeffH; 04-01-10 at 10:36 AM. Reason: more info
    04-01-10 10:33 AM
    The only way I know to access the GPS coordinates on a CDMA phone without using 3rd party software is to perform the GPS portion of the self-test. Go to Options / Status, type test and select the GPS test. The output is your latitude and longitude. Many of the free GPS apps also report your location.

In Google Maps, press 0 to set the map center to your location, then go to Help / About. The screen will display the coordinates of the map center.

In BBMaps, you can send your location to yourself via SMS. The sent info includes your lat / lon.

What Help menu are you looking at?
    Hi Jeff,

Help/GPS technology/Get your GPS location

1. On the home screen or in a folder, click the Options icon.
    2. Click Advanced Options.
    3. Click GPS.
    4. Press the Menu key.
    5. Click Refresh GPS. <<<< menu item doesn't exist
    04-01-10 08:25 PM
    My Help / GPS Technology only has four lines:
    Find more help online
    About GPS technology
    Prevent others from tracking your location
    GPS Technology Troubleshooting.

The Refresh GPS function isn't available on any CDMA phones to my knowledge. That's why I specified CDMA in my answer. I'm not that familiar with the 8530, so I can't definitely say what it does or doesn't do. However, it seems you are confirming my assumption that it works like any other CDMA phone.
    04-01-10 08:43 PM
    [QUOTE=JeffH;4925415]The only way I know to access the GPS coordinates on a CDMA phone without using 3rd party software is to perform the GPS portion of the self-test. Go to Options / Status, type test and select the GPS test. The output is your latitude and longitude. Many of the free GPS apps also report your location.

Works on my 8530
    04-01-10 10:13 PM
    My Help / GPS Technology only has four lines:
    Find more help online
    About GPS technology
    Prevent others from tracking your location
    GPS Technology Troubleshooting.

The Refresh GPS function isn't available on any CDMA phones to my knowledge. That's why I specified CDMA in my answer. I'm not that familiar with the 8530, so I can't definitely say what it does or doesn't do. However, it seems you are confirming my assumption that it works like any other CDMA phone.
    Its kinda shortsighted not to have the GPS coordinates available without alot of effort...maybe the Help reflects a new upcoming software revision.
    04-01-10 10:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD