Or do you have to pay to use it on the tour?
    08-21-09 12:52 PM
    you only have to pay to use the Verizon Navigator service.

google maps is free
    08-21-09 12:53 PM
    you only have to pay to use the Verizon Navigator service.

google maps is free
    where do i get that
    08-21-09 01:00 PM
    m.google.com/maps
    08-21-09 01:01 PM
    Also BlackBerry Maps has GPS functionality.
    08-21-09 01:28 PM
    where do i get that
    If you're refering to vznav you have to call CS and have them add that to your plan
    08-21-09 01:30 PM
    do any of these program have voice turn by turn directions?
    08-21-09 04:09 PM
    Google Maps does not.
    BlackBerry Maps does not.

VZ Navigator DOES have turn by turn audible directions.

It's $9.99/month. Well worth it, in my opinion!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 04:16 PM
    Google Maps does not.
    BlackBerry Maps does not.

VZ Navigator DOES have turn by turn audible directions.

It's $9.99/month. Well worth it, in my opinion!

hmm wouldnt really use it enough to justify the extra $10 a month. I had a hacked version of vz nav on my omnia which was sweet. wish there was a way to do that on my tour
    08-21-09 05:08 PM
    I'll agree that it's convenient to have a light GPS program on a phone, which IMO Google Maps does a great job of.

However, for turn by turn directions, I'd rather have a standalone unit in my car. A bigger screen, touch sensitive, and all the mounting equipment is included.

In fact, if you keep an eye on deals (which I do), you can find a very good dedicated GPS system for very cheap (mine was $45 after rebates - it's also open ended, so I can load whatever software/maps I want!)

For me, $9.99 a month is not justified for VZ navigator. If you're going to use it that much, just drop $100 for a TomTom.
    08-21-09 05:22 PM
    I think if you need to use GPS that much for travel, just buy a freakin Garmin or TomTom. It'll pay for itself in about a year. I have a Garmin and love it!
    08-21-09 05:30 PM
    do any of these program have voice turn by turn directions?
    LifeInPocket has voice turn by turn....I love that app, especially since its free

08-21-09 05:40 PM
    LifeInPocket has voice turn by turn....I love that app, especially since its free

i searched for that app and iy said no apps found
    08-21-09 07:26 PM
    You can get it from LifeinPocket.com

kiddoc
    08-21-09 08:07 PM
    If you're going to use it that much, just drop $100 for a TomTom.
    Agreed, or even a small Garmin...
    08-21-09 08:12 PM
    You can get it from LifeinPocket.com

kiddoc
    thanks man
    08-21-09 08:32 PM
    GPS satellite data is free (thanks USA) but almost all use LOTS of data to load and display maps. Make sure you have a good data plan.

08-21-09 09:17 PM
    dagda1 has the best point here... if you don't have a good data plan you could end up with a hefty bill
    08-21-09 09:37 PM
    Never heard of lifeinpocket... Is it good?

08-21-09 10:59 PM
    Never heard of lifeinpocket... Is it good?

i downloaded it yesterday and was playing around with it today. has alot of nice features. its pretty impressive for being free
    08-22-09 01:56 PM
    Is the Tour GPS unlocked for all applications that use it? I really like 411 Connect on my 8330, but I have to manually enter the current address. There is an option to use "gps address", but doesn't work on the 8330. Will it work if I get a Tour?
    08-23-09 08:14 PM
    Is the Tour GPS unlocked for all applications that use it? I really like 411 Connect on my 8330, but I have to manually enter the current address. There is an option to use "gps address", but doesn't work on the 8330. Will it work if I get a Tour?
    GPS is unlocked on the Tour. It can be used with 3rd party apps.

08-24-09 04:42 AM
    Sprint's GPS is included with the plan. I use it quite frequently but I must admit, a standalone GPS unit is a lot better and practical.
    08-24-09 04:58 AM
    i can't see getting a stand alone GPS. For one, afaik you have to hook it up to a PC for updates. That seems like a pain, especially since i don't have a PC! i get updates OTA, can send directions and place messages to other phones and they can map on their phones' GPS (or email addresses). Not sure if a stand alone can do all that.

Secondly, i like having everything on one device. That's why i'm attracted to smart phones in the first place. Otherwise, i'd be carrying an MP3 player, GPS system, address book, PC for online shopping/internet, camera, etc.

Having the GPS included in my BlackBerry let's me easily carry on planes, in rental cars, inside hotel rooms (to do local searches) and when i'm walking. i'm on my VZ Nav and Poynt all the time before, during trips to look for restaurants and locations, events, movies. It would be a hassle to have to carry a big stand alone around!

Not to mention that the navigator on my phones works so well with the BlackBerry! So that every contact in my address book, i can just hit menu, nav to and i'm on my way.

Well worth the $9.99 a month to me!

08-24-09 07:14 AM
    I'll agree that it's convenient to have a light GPS program on a phone, which IMO Google Maps does a great job of.

However, for turn by turn directions, I'd rather have a standalone unit in my car. A bigger screen, touch sensitive, and all the mounting equipment is included.

In fact, if you keep an eye on deals (which I do), you can find a very good dedicated GPS system for very cheap (mine was $45 after rebates - it's also open ended, so I can load whatever software/maps I want!)

For me, $9.99 a month is not justified for VZ navigator. If you're going to use it that much, just drop $100 for a TomTom.
    Do TomTom or other good standalone units now allow free map updates forever? If not, you will experience what I have with my 2-year-old TomTom and have obsolete maps.

Also, the VZ navigator has the most comprehensive POI's I have seen on a GPS.
    08-24-09 08:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD