When I go into the engineering screen, then to OS Engineering Screens it says "GPS Unavailable". When I go to the Radio Engineering screens, and then GPS, I am unable to change any of those options (if I do it reverts back on battery pull). I am thinking that some of these settings are set by service books. I am trying to figure out why my GPS will not work in GOogle Maps (my carrier is MTS), and I'm thinking it has to do with the "GPS Unavailable" in the OS Engineering Screen.

Has anyone had this issue and found a fix for it? I've been searching around and only found one fix on the forums so far, but I couldn't find if it had been tested with OS 5.0. Anyone have any help?
    11-11-09 11:09 PM
    GPS is not configured by your carrier. Nor is it blockable, chargeable, or changeable. They can just charge you for DL'ing the actual maps, if you're not on an unlimited data plan. Try to open up BB Maps and getting your location from there. I'm not sure what you mean by 'OS Engineering Screen'.
    11-11-09 11:52 PM
    I know GPS doesn't work on the Storm with Bell Mobility.. might be a similar issue with MTS.
    11-12-09 05:53 AM
    Does MTS have a GPS/Mapping program they package with the phone? Verizon does the same thing with their phones. Some (I might say most) 3rd party GPS/Mapping programs will not work with the VZW storm because they (VZW) somehow program the phone to only work with their GPS/Mapping program (VZW Navigator).

It's possible MTS does the same thing.
    11-12-09 06:08 AM
    Does MTS have a GPS/Mapping program they package with the phone? Verizon does the same thing with their phones. Some (I might say most) 3rd party GPS/Mapping programs will not work with the VZW storm because they (VZW) somehow program the phone to only work with their GPS/Mapping program (VZW Navigator).

It's possible MTS does the same thing.
    Since when? BBMaps, Google Maps, Garmin, all work with the Storm. There are absolutely no proprietary GPS issues with VZW on the Storm. Hasn't been since day 1.
    11-12-09 06:17 AM
    Older BB's on Verizon I know had the GPS blocked on programs other than BB Maps and VZ Nav, the Storm was one of the first to have unlocked GPS.

GPS can be limited by your carriers. I think it has to do with the assissted portion of the GPS, if the carrier doesn't allow the call for assissted GPS go out for programs other than BB Maps, then other programs won't be able to use the GPS.

MTS doesn't have their own mapping software, but they did used to piggyback off of Bell quite a bit. This sharing with Bell is also what caused some websites like Youtube not to work. Now MTS finally has YouTube working on their BB's, but they may be sharing some GPS stuff with Bell still, and thats why its not working.

Its weird though I tried GPS Logger on my way to work this morning and it worked fine, it logged where I was the whole way. I wonder if its a Google Maps issue then...
    11-12-09 08:50 AM
    How do you get to the OS Engineering Screen?
    11-12-09 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD