Well I've got an 8330, and I know RIM pushed verizon to at least unlock the GPS to use RIMs blackberry maps app.

Friend of mine has had a Storm for a little over 6 months now, but then he brought up that I use my BB Maps all the time, and how he could enable his.

After looking on his phone, and seeing that his BB Maps wont receive the GPS at all, I went to options and looked at the GPS area, set the GPS and everything to how I have it on mine(GPS on, not just emergency)

But still nothing. I thought the Storm was the first one to get unlocked to allow use of the OEM BB Maps software?

Any solution besides getting a separate bluetooth GPS puck? Was it unlocked in a firmware update or something?
    08-28-09 01:55 AM
    08-28-09 01:56 AM
    For Storm on Verizon. GPS unlocked, totally, out of the box.

Options>AdvancedOptions>GPS

GPS Data Source = Device GPS
    GPS Services = Location ON
    Location Aiding = Enabled

BB maps, Google Maps, Poynt, Where, BlackStar, etc apps all should work.

Any GPS app will sit there and seemingly do nothing if you don't go outside and pick up some satellite signals. If you are lucky, after a long wait, the device may eventually give you a relatively inaccurate location fix based on cellular tower info if you can't get a line-of-site triangulation outside.

Also go to Setup>ManageConnections>Mobile Network Options then press the BB Button and run the Diagnostics Test from that menu.

He may have a hardware problem.
    08-28-09 02:46 AM
    Yea, already changed all those settings before, exactly same as my Curve. As for the going outside for the satellite signal, my Curve grabs the signal no matter what, is it different with Storms?

And thanks about the diagnostics test idea, I hadn't thought about that, it seems like the only thing it could be.
    08-28-09 02:50 AM
    No, not different with the Storm. Just the difference between GPS where the device has clear access to at least 3 satellites in the sky versus AGPS which is the cell tower approximating your location. If you are outside you get a "lock" very fast and your location is accurate to within a few feet normally. The AGPS will usually take longer to get a lock on you and sometimes the accuracy can be off by up to 1/4 mile or more. If you are within range of more than one cell tower it is much easier to pinpoint your location and it might seem like indoors or outdoors is exactly the same. This is not always the case.
    Last edited by cadzilla74; 08-28-09 at 02:59 AM.
    08-28-09 02:56 AM
    Oh yea, I know about that, it's usually off by like 60 meters and I can't use the actual GPS Navigation. I never use it because of that and use the actual GPS and not the other way where it locates you by using the towers.
    08-28-09 03:00 AM
    Cool ... sounds like you got it covered. Your friend may have a bad phone. If the diag turns up any problems Verizon should replace it for him. Good luck.
    08-28-09 03:02 AM
    No, not different with the Storm. Just the difference between GPS where the device has clear access to at least 3 satellites in the sky versus AGPS which is the cell tower approximating your location. If you are outside you get a "lock" very fast and your location is accurate to within a few feet normally. The AGPS will usually take longer to get a lock on you and sometimes the accuracy can be off by up to 1/4 mile or more. If you are within range of more than one cell tower it is much easier to pinpoint your location and it might seem like indoors or outdoors is exactly the same. This is not always the case.
    Just a point of clarification: aGPS uses both triangulation and satellites, plus info about the location of GPS satellites from the cell site. The whole point of aGPS was for e911 support, so it could provide a location fix much quicker from a cold start (a couple of second) than standalone GPS devices can, and in locations where the signal from GPS satellites is too weak to get a fix. The GPS protocol requires that the device first read quite a bit of data concerning the precise location of the GPS satellites ("ephemeris" data), and then, given that, listen for timing info (a very small amount of data) from whatever satellites it can hear, and from that, compute the device's location. With aGPS, the cell site sends the ephemeris data over a data connection, and cell site triangulation can be used in combination with GPS signals to get a good location fix very quickly. In the worst case, the device cannot hear any GPS satellites, which results in the rather imprecise triangulation behavior. When your standalone GPS unit seems to be able to get a fix very quickly, it is because it has cached the ephemeris data from the last time it was used, and the info has not timed out yet.

Anyone wonder how Google Maps gets eerily precise location fixes on an iPod Touch? No, it does not have GPS hardware, nor can it hear any cell sites. Apparently, when Google sends the trucks around to take the street-level pictures for Google Earth, they also capture the SSID of any WiFi networks they can hear at that location. So the application can just compare the SSID of the network it is using with the database of SSIDs, and locates you. It doesn't matter if you use encryption; they are only capturing the SSID, which is sent in the clear, not doing an actual connection.
    08-29-09 05:02 PM
    @CharlesH: +1. I've never known the difference between A-GPS and conventional (standalone) GPS. Now I get it. However, if I use BB Maps, and I'm an area with bad service, and with the handheld without a satellite to hear, what will happen? My guess is that Google Maps is more reliable, but I didn't test the app yet on my Storm.
    @WILLIAM2009: why do you keep copy/paste someone says? if you are trying to get you post count up then at least write some of your thoughts. or you're a parrot? i've read 20 threads so far and in every single one of them you just posted something that someone else said.
    08-30-09 06:24 AM
    @WILLIAM2009: why do you keep copy/paste someone says? if you are trying to get you post count up then at least write some of your thoughts. or you're a parrot? i've read 20 threads so far and in every single one of them you just posted something that someone else said.
    Yeah, I noticed that too. Wonder what's up with that?
    08-30-09 07:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD