I emailed Dan@sprint.com about the GPS issue with Google Maps to try to get an official answer as to why the GPS will work with GMaps on VZW phones but not Sprint.

I talked to two advanced blackberry techs and neither one of them had ever used google maps, let alone heard of this issue. ****, they had to "go and get a blackberry to try this on".

I walked them both through using google maps, and explained the difference between "triangulation" and true GPS. They are gonig to pass it up the ladder and try to get Rim and Sprint to fix this.

I suggest that other Sprint customers email Dan@sprint.com and politely let them know about the issue.
    09-02-09 11:12 PM
    Who is Dan? You should probably tell people here who's inbox you're trying to flood!
    09-02-09 11:13 PM
    dan is like the ceo of sprint, correct me if im wrong.
    09-02-09 11:32 PM
    GPS works on google maps for me. Dan Hesse he owns sprint or something
    09-02-09 11:32 PM
    I seriously doubt that the CEO of Sprint uses this email address as the one he reads. I'm sure his secretaries or other minions screen emails to that address for him
    09-02-09 11:39 PM
    I've been scratching my head trying to figure out why this hasn't been working for me. It worked flawlessly on my 8900 and I used it a lot. After reading through some threads, it seems to be a carrier issue and so far GPS with GM only seems to be working on the Verizon Tours.

Interesting...
    09-02-09 11:59 PM
    Tell him Alltel's GPS is unlocked too.
    09-03-09 01:20 AM
    This is the email you want.
    jerry.adriano@sprint.com

Did wonders for me I guess. Fixed every issue on first contact. But I don't think that's for "GPS" issues. Lol.
    09-03-09 01:48 AM
    GPS also doesnt work with POYNT and the TOUR
    09-03-09 07:25 AM
    I seriously doubt that the CEO of Sprint uses this email address as the one he reads. I'm sure his secretaries or other minions screen emails to that address for him
    Obviously.
    09-03-09 07:40 AM
    dan.ceo@sprint.com... thats better

haha
    09-03-09 07:53 AM
    I emailed dantheman@sprint.com of your issues... hopefully he gets back to us about this stuff, but I think he is paying more attention to his PRE!
    09-03-09 07:57 AM
    Sprint's GPS is NOT locked. It works fine with 3rd party apps except GoogleMaps due to a compatibility issue with the new chipset Sprint is using for their GPS. Google is aware of the issue. As soon as I am able to get to my computer today I'll post a link to that info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is accurate. It is up to Google to fix the issue. As others have pointed out, Poynt did not work originally, but Poynt has since fixed the issue and modified the SW so that it works with the new GPS chipsets.

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with a sprint BB tech rep. who conferenced in a RIM tech. The Sprint tech recreated the problem on his demo Tour and saw the precise issue. He even pulled out his personal 8830 and compared the Gmaps application side by side and was shocked how the Tour had him a few blocks off. Once he saw the problem he was determined to contact RIM.

RIM tech explained the chip was fine and that it was a problem with the SW developer... This was the first week so i was hesitant to believe him. I've since learned that he is correct and this is a Google issue.
    09-03-09 10:04 AM
    So the VZW Tour has a different chip than the Sprint Tour?

That seems odd to me.
    09-03-09 10:07 AM
    So the VZW Tour has a different chip than the Sprint Tour?

That seems odd to me.
    exactly.. I highly doubt this
    09-03-09 10:20 AM
    This is accurate. It is up to Google to fix the issue. As others have pointed out, Poynt did not work originally, but Poynt has since fixed the issue and modified the SW so that it works with the new GPS chipsets..
    thanks for pointing out that POYNT has fixed the issue.. time to redownload !
    09-03-09 10:20 AM
    I deleted the post with all the email & phone numbers, lets leave those poor people alone. Use the other emails in the thread or do your own research.
    09-03-09 03:39 PM
    For those interested developers out there, the issue with GPS was actually caused by a bug introduced into the BlackBerry software around 4.7.1.40.

When setting up the criteria to launch the GPS chip, a call to setPreferredResponseTime() is required. However, calling this method should not be required as outlined by the sun microsystem specification for MIDP 2.0

It is worth noting that since this is a software problem, the issue is not just isolated to the Tour. It also effects the Storm running the most recent software, and many other device/OS combinations.

This issue will likely be resolved in later OS updates.
    09-03-09 06:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD