Been having trouble lately getting a GPS signal in the SC skies mostly at nighttime. Others with standalone GPS units say they are not having a problem, and I rarely have a problem during the daytime, so I am not sure but my guess would be a combination of the weather and strength of the GPS receiver in the blackberry which is not as powerful as that of a standalone unit. Was thinking about buying a standalone device, but I am on a tight budget, and probably should not. BlackBerry never had a problem getting a signal when I was in the CA skies at nighttime, so another factor may be the number of satellites in the sky as well.

Standalone GPS receivers are popular because they are superior to the GPS in that of a cell phone. brother has one, and he was easily able to pick up a signal in the trees/mountains, where my phone would take a day to find a signal. Its not just the BlackBerry, as one brothers Droid had the same problem getting a signal in that area.

Thanks,

John
    Last edited by jwolf6589; 01-16-11 at 03:16 AM.
    01-16-11 03:10 AM
    Weather has no affect on the GPS reception.

The GPS receiver in the 8330 is weaker than that in more recent BlackBerry models and it is much weaker than that in a standalone GPS unit.

Tree, mountains, buildings will all impact the GPS reception. And on a unit with a weak GPS receiver, the issue will be more prominent.

If you need to rely on GPS a lot, a dedicated GPS unit probably will serve you better. Also, a newer BlackBerry will have a better GPS receiver as well.
    01-16-11 06:38 AM
    Weather has no affect on the GPS reception.

The GPS receiver in the 8330 is weaker than that in more recent BlackBerry models and it is much weaker than that in a standalone GPS unit.

Tree, mountains, buildings will all impact the GPS reception. And on a unit with a weak GPS receiver, the issue will be more prominent.

If you need to rely on GPS a lot, a dedicated GPS unit probably will serve you better. Also, a newer BlackBerry will have a better GPS receiver as well.
    Have you compared them? How do you know the GPS in my BB is not as powerful? Brother could not get a signal with his new DROID with Verizon in the mountains.

The browser on the new BB's may be a little better but its not much of a difference, so I figured RIM had done little to improve the GPS unit.
    01-16-11 07:13 AM
    Yes. I have compared them.

I own three different BlackBerry devices (8330, 9630, 9650). And I have owned 5 standalone GPS units (Garmin Zumo 550, Garmin eTrex HCx, Garmin Colorado 450t, Garmin Oregon 450, Garmin 3760).

Being ON a mountain won't bother the GPS signal. Being BLOCKED by a mountain will.

I have no idea about the GPS receiver on a DROID.
    01-16-11 08:45 AM
    Yes. I have compared them.

I own three different BlackBerry devices (8330, 9630, 9650). And I have owned 5 standalone GPS units (Garmin Zumo 550, Garmin eTrex HCx, Garmin Colorado 450t, Garmin Oregon 450, Garmin 3760).

Being ON a mountain won't bother the GPS signal. Being BLOCKED by a mountain will.

I have no idea about the GPS receiver on a DROID.
    I noticed when I put my BB near the window it gets a GPS signal much better. I need to buy a BB holdster for my car dashboard. Best Buy, Walmart, nor other retailers sell them. Where can I find one? Whats a good BB store? Please do not just recommend this website.

John
    01-16-11 12:05 PM
    01-16-11 12:45 PM
    01-16-11 02:40 PM
    Heey ! my blackberrry curve 8250 won't get a signal , it only says at the bar sos and it's really annoying because i can't check my balance , send email or text or recieve how can i get my signal to work ?
    01-18-11 03:46 PM
    I am using photo GPS that sometimes meet that problem.
    I know there are normally several times during each day in ever location on earth when
    The GPS satellite constellation (that's what it's called, for some reason) has only 1-2 satellites "visible" to the receiver. At that time you will either get no fix or a fix that is wildly inaccurate (sometimes by several miles). Wait for a few minutes and the problem goes away as the receiver acquires additional satellites.
    This also occurs:
    1. In areas with obscured line of sight to the horizon (in all directions) such as in a deep valley or in a large municipality, as your ability to receive "line of sight" timing signals simultaneously from multiple satellites is impaired. In these cases your ability to get a good fix (normally considered at least 4 satellites) may be non-existant, or it may be limited to only a few minutes at a specific time each day.
    2. On specified dates and times in a rather large (4+ million acres) area centered on White Sands Missile Range (actually, Holloman AFB), which is the designated test area for GPS "spoofing" systems. Normally, these are listed on the latest pertinent FAA data links and notices to aviators, and only last a short time.
    With my Eztag, I know my heading (line of sight bearing) is based on a magnetic compass in the unit and it will be off, sometimes significantly, depending on the local magnetic deviation (for instance, at Yellowstone National Park the MD from true North is 11.5 degrees, which isn't exactly a trivial amount).
    02-24-11 09:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD