Any suggestions on an affordable yet good GPS BT module for the 8220? i don't want to spend a lot since i doubt i will be using it much but i would like to have it around.
    05-23-09 01:15 AM
    Holux GPSlim 240 (about $85 CDN)...SiRF III chipset, the size of a usb thumb drive, incredibly fast, strong and accurate (I use it with my Flip for geocaching). I highly recommend it. I turn it on, let it find some satellites (about 10-15 seconds), put it in my pocket, and completely forget it's even there (you can put a keychain loop on it if you're prone to losing things).
    05-23-09 09:31 AM
    you can put a keychain loop on it if you're prone to losing things.
    thanks for the info and you must know me cuz this bit of advise on the end fits me perfectly LOL
    05-23-09 10:12 AM
    on average, the bigger the receiver, the cheaper the price (for equal quality). I do recommend a SiRF III chipset though.
    05-23-09 09:40 PM
    So, If I get one and download the OTA software for my Telenav acct that I use on my 8900, I should be able to use it on my 8120?
    05-24-09 06:49 PM
    Generally Bluetooth GPS pucks will work with any application. I have used my Freedom Keychain 2000 with Garmin, BBMaps, Google Maps, amAze, GPSed, CoPilot and Nav4All.
    05-24-09 08:17 PM
    (8230 w/ built in gps)
    advanced options -> GPS -> GPS Data Source
    this lets you select between internal or external gps recievers (not sure if this menu is available on the 8220 version).

apps will generally use whichever source is selected by default (with google maps I still have to go into the BT GPS in-app menu).
    05-25-09 01:47 PM
    advanced options -> GPS -> GPS Data Source
    this lets you select between internal or external gps recievers (not sure if this menu is available on the 8220 version).
    GPS Data Source menu on 8220 lists None plus any paired BT GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-09 05:52 PM
    What's the cheapest you can get one of these devices for? That's such a better option than paying your service provider for GPS services! And can you load maps to your SD card if you're not on a data plan? Sorry to jack ur thread!

06-06-09 07:52 PM
    The CrackBerry Store has a couple of models available. If you don't have a data plan, that will severely limit your software options. TrekBuddy and Mobile GMaps (not to be confused with Google Maps) are the only apps that I'm aware of that can use data off an SD card. The other free apps (Nav4All, amAze, Google Maps, BBMaps, GPSed) require a data plan and download their maps in realtime.
    06-06-09 08:42 PM
    Thank you very much. I'm probably gonna try to see if anyone has a puck they want to trade for a brand new BlackBerry world edition. Problem is, if they're not local, how do you go about such a transaction lol

06-06-09 09:42 PM
    Thank you very much. I'm probably gonna try to see if anyone has a puck they want to trade for a brand new BlackBerry world edition. Problem is, if they're not local, how do you go about such a transaction lol

I picked this up off of ebay
    OnCourse SiRF star III Bluetooth GPS Receiver
    For a total of $18 including shipping
    Its used but you can find some cheap

06-08-09 03:37 PM
    That's good deal! Did that worki?
    Yes it works. Very nice toy for $18. Wish I had waited saw a Holux GPSlim 240. Go for $24 shipped and it was new

Last edited by dfw3064; 06-12-09 at 04:37 PM.
    06-12-09 04:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD