I understand that using the GPS quickens the drain on the battery, but on a long trip it became clear that the drain is faster than the car charger can charge.

How can that be?

I do a long trip (10+ hours) and use Trapster, I have the stock charging cradle velcro'd to the dash. I always put the Storm in and see that the battery is charging and then start Trapster. Much to my surprise, maybe 5 or 6 hours into my trip, the Storm was DEAD, the battery completely drained. It did this a couple times now.

How is it that the charger can't completely power the phone?
    Any suggestions?
    05-27-09 10:45 AM
    my storm dies after 3 hours of using the gps with bbmaps/google maps while plugged into the oem verizon car charger. the car charger just doesnt provide enough juice to work the gps constantly. i dont know why a standard gps can go all day and our phones cant.

i'm still on .75 though and i know my battery drains faster then anyone that has upgraded their os to a recent leak...someone else would have to confirm but i couldnt see a newer os getting much better results
    05-27-09 10:51 AM
    I had no problem playing a movie while running gmaps in the background on a generic charger (For only $0.83 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories) It is capable of providing 1A @ 5V though, maybe that is higher than the OEM car charger.

I started the trip with about 25% battery and had 100% when I arrived a few hours later.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 11:28 AM
    I had no problem playing a movie while running gmaps in the background on a generic charger (For only $0.83 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories) It is capable of providing 1A @ 5V though, maybe that is higher than the OEM car charger.

I started the trip with about 25% battery and had 100% when I arrived a few hours later.

The ad says "Female USB" - meaning a standard size USB? Then I run a USB to micro-USB to connect to the phone?
    05-27-09 01:45 PM
    i ran vz nav for 3 hours and it took maybe 1/5th of my battery...that was not plugged in. maybe bb maps sucks teh juice? try google maps? it works alright...
    05-27-09 01:58 PM
    i ran vz nav for 3 hours and it took maybe 1/5th of my battery...that was not plugged in. maybe bb maps sucks teh juice? try google maps? it works alright...
    The Trapster display says its getting the maps from Microsoft, so I would guess that BBMAPS is not involved.

I have had the same problem (perhaps not so quickly) with Garmin.
    05-27-09 02:29 PM
    my storm dies after 3 hours of using the gps with bbmaps/google maps while plugged into the oem verizon car charger. the car charger just doesnt provide enough juice to work the gps constantly. i dont know why a standard gps can go all day and our phones cant.

i'm still on .75 though and i know my battery drains faster then anyone that has upgraded their os to a recent leak...someone else would have to confirm but i couldnt see a newer os getting much better results
    One major difference between the standard GPS units and a phone is that the GPS units have the maps pre-loaded in their memory. Your phone is constantly downloading the maps from the net, which is eating up your battery time.
    05-27-09 03:14 PM
    this happens to me all the time. i used to think it was a defect in my seidio battery, but i eventually figured it out.

vz nav makes your phone hot. when the phone gets too hot, it will no longer charge using the verizon wireless car charger. try it out for yourself. i have not tested this with the oem home charger, or any other car chargers. the way i tested it was using meterberry because it tells you the temp of the phone. i believe the temp i came up with before it stops charging is 104 degrees feh. i then held the phone on the ac blasting till the phone dropped in temp, and sure enough it started charging again. the way you tell its really charging is by looking at the battery meter. if it has a lightning bolt on it, its charging. if it doesnt its not. i only heated up the phone using vz nav. i didnt test with any other programs.
    05-27-09 04:10 PM
    this happens to me all the time. i used to think it was a defect in my seidio battery, but i eventually figured it out.

vz nav makes your phone hot. when the phone gets too hot, it will no longer charge using the verizon wireless car charger. try it out for yourself. i have not tested this with the oem home charger, or any other car chargers. the way i tested it was using meterberry because it tells you the temp of the phone. i believe the temp i came up with before it stops charging is 104 degrees feh. i then held the phone on the ac blasting till the phone dropped in temp, and sure enough it started charging again. the way you tell its really charging is by looking at the battery meter. if it has a lightning bolt on it, its charging. if it doesnt its not. i only heated up the phone using vz nav. i didnt test with any other programs.
    This would fit!! The phone is in the cradle on the dash, and indeed was hot. I wasn't sure if it was because of the sun, being charged, or just being on and doing "things" constantly. Probably some of each. And I did notice that it wasn't charging, but I attributed that to a bad connection... This makes a lot more sense.
    05-28-09 09:29 AM
    The ad says "Female USB" - meaning a standard size USB? Then I run a USB to micro-USB to connect to the phone?
    Yes, you can use it to charge anything that charges with USB using the cable it came with.. I bought an extra micro-usb cable from the same site for ~$1 for use in the car.

05-28-09 10:08 AM
    I recently did over a 12 hour drive last thursday. Used Garmin Mobile all the way while my Storm was plugged in and charging. The battery drained too far and the phone shut off until it charged enough to be able to turn back on. I have a mount that is directly in front of the air conditioning vent on my truck and the phone still could not be charged up fast enough to keep up with the GPS running with a lighted screen all the time. Is there a special 3rd party app that lets you know the temperature of the phone/battery or is there someplace on the phone itself that will give me that information?

I have had two Storms, and both have done the same thing. I have used Verizon Navigator and Garmin Mobile. Both applications drain the battery faster than it can charge up.
    08-10-09 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD