You need to start by enabling the GPS in the device's Options screen. Go to Options > Advanced Options > GPS and change GPS Services option to "Location On" instead of "E911 Only". Save the setting, then restart BB Maps and there will then be a menu item called "Start GPS Navigation".
    11-23-08 07:23 AM
    Does anyone have Garmin Mobile for Blackberry to try and see if it works on the Storm?
    I would also like to know if anyone has tried Garmin Mobile. It looks like an excellent application and would be perfect for the storm. With GPS this good, I wouldn't be surprised if BB or Verizon released a suction cup powered cradle.

I was surprised at BB Maps. Great GPS, although a little clunky compared to a Garmin interface.
    11-23-08 07:35 AM
    I also posted this to the sticky tips & tricks thread, but I'm adding it here as well since I think it answers the original question:

To keep the backlight from turning off in Blackberry Maps, hit the menu button, then Options, and the very first button is "Backlight Timeout When:"

You can choose battery <100%, <75%, <50%, or <25%.

That way when you're navigating with your GPS, the screen will never go dark, at least until your battery runs low.

It doesn't affect your backlight timeout for anything other than BB Maps.
    11-27-08 09:20 PM
    how/where do you get blackberry maps?
    it should already be on your storm in the applications folder..
    11-27-08 09:27 PM
    Has anyone been able to get GPS location? as in the actual coordinates? Help menu says to go into advanced options; click GPS and use the menu key to select "refresh GPS". I have no such option when I hit the menu key. I really want to have the ability to grab my coordinates.
    11-27-08 09:50 PM
    Has anyone been able to get GPS location? as in the actual coordinates? Help menu says to go into advanced options; click GPS and use the menu key to select "refresh GPS". I have no such option when I hit the menu key. I really want to have the ability to grab my coordinates.

Not sure if this will work on the Storm but one of our members paul.haenel built a gps app that I use on the curve that gives LAT/LONG Altitude, speed, knotts a very nice app (I cant do URLs yet, but do search for CrackBerryProject )
    As i said I use it on the curve (with bluetooth gps and it works fine) but dont know if it will work on the storm.
    11-27-08 10:09 PM
    Thanks for the search term, however it didn't work for me. I did find one that works if any one else wants to try it. Map your tracks and photos, share your position from your mobile | free Mobile GPS Tracking Service it's free too!
    11-27-08 11:02 PM
    Did you or anyone find a solution to this problem? I don't see any coordinates or a "refresh" option in the gps settings page.
    12-18-08 09:54 PM
    Still not working with .85. Any ideas?
    12-30-08 10:54 AM
    I have installed Google and tried to use it for voice directions, to no avail. Does anyone know how to get voice directions (google, blackberry maps, etc) in real time on the blackberry 8330 curve sprint?

Google does give me my location, when i am outside it is almost exact, in the house, not so good....
    01-20-09 12:28 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD