how do i get the backlight to stay on...it dims while im watching the movement (in the car, etc.)
    11-21-08 06:28 PM
    I was wondering this as well.
    11-21-08 06:32 PM
    Under options (I think it's under keyboard/screen), change the backlight timeout. I think you can turn it off as well.
    11-21-08 06:36 PM
    I am using the google maps but it seemss the gps is off by about 1 mile always. Anyone have this trouble. For the dimming go into the display settings and turn up the backlight timeout to 2 mins. If that is not long enough go out ang get a garmin.
    11-21-08 06:37 PM
    the BB maps actually works as a tracking device and follows u as u drive
    11-21-08 06:43 PM
    Does anyone have Garmin Mobile for Blackberry to try and see if it works on the Storm?
    11-22-08 05:37 AM
    wow, GPS locks seem to be much faster then on my Bold while sitting at the same exact spot in my house and it's quite accurate in placing me on the map so far
    11-22-08 05:56 AM
    I thought the GPS was locked down to Verizon's Nav software for $9.99/month. Believe Google Maps just uses location data based on cell towers not the device's GPS. I loaded BlackBerry Maps but didn't think it gave me my location at all . . .
    11-22-08 06:46 AM
    I thought the GPS was locked down to Verizon's Nav software for $9.99/month. Believe Google Maps just uses location data based on cell towers not the device's GPS. I loaded BlackBerry Maps but didn't think it gave me my location at all . . .
    There's still a debate about how much is locked. Blackberry Maps does work. Google Maps only works with cell towers, not GPS. Some think that those other apps like Google need to update their software to work with the Storm, but we'll see.
    11-22-08 07:26 AM
    I agree with the last comment. Flickr and other applications can read the location but not google maps. Hope they update soon. I have Telenav but can no longer use it as it crashes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-08 07:49 AM
    can't someone try wls.live.com and see if it works?

could you pm mr your result because ill be away from my pc and once I post this, the thread will get pushed to like the 4th page

11-22-08 08:31 AM
    Windows Live Search does not work. It installs successfully, but does not run.
    11-22-08 10:05 AM
    Windows Live Search does not work. It installs successfully, but does not run.
    Indeed, and I even noticed that when I tried to start WLS the 1XEV status message immediately changes to 1X and no matter what I do the 1XEV will not return until I pull the battery and reboot. I've witnessed this status change instantly happen when I tried to start WLS 3 times before giving up and removing it.

I'm heading out now but when I get back home I'll try to test some GPS programs I wrote for earlier BB devices and see if they work.
    11-22-08 12:11 PM
    so has anyone found any type of 3rd party gps that works as a gps? not as in flickr that just geotags things.
    11-22-08 12:15 PM
    how/where do you get blackberry maps?
    11-22-08 12:16 PM
    you can load Blackberry Maps from the Blackberry Desktop Manager using application laoder.
    11-22-08 12:27 PM
    Yea - how do we get blackberry maps - for me the Google Maps is not working - even with my location turned on. I also don't like the interface.
    11-22-08 12:31 PM
    I really hope VZW hasnt done anything where its locked for everything but BB Maps, cant get Google Maps or Instamapper to get a location Therefore I'm confused by the thread title, how is it awesome?
    Last edited by adamkpl; 11-22-08 at 12:58 PM.
    11-22-08 12:53 PM
    The GPS is indeed UNLOCKED (woo hoo!!!)

My own custom application has successfully received the GPS coordinates and when I dropped these numbers into google earth it shows me at the correct location on the property. GPS on my Bold places me closer to the sidewalk then I really am but the Storm has my location more accurately mapped towards the back of the property.
    11-23-08 02:29 AM
    The GPS is indeed UNLOCKED (woo hoo!!!)

My own custom application has successfully received the GPS coordinates and when I dropped these numbers into google earth it shows me at the correct location on the property. GPS on my Bold places me closer to the sidewalk then I really am but the Storm has my location more accurately mapped towards the back of the property.
    I'm no where near as technical as you, but I did install nav4all (Nav4All - Free gps navigation for your mobile phone!) and it works!!! its just very choppy not ment to be used with the storm, but GPS works and it has voice turn by turn.

So hopefully an update will be available or another software to use.

My free turn by turn navigation is looking good
    11-23-08 03:36 AM
    Okay so I just took it (nav4all) for a test drive. GPS was SPOT ON! now All I have to do is wait for a good app thats designed for the storm
    11-23-08 04:05 AM
    How do you get geo tagging to work in flickr? I enabled it in options but can't see the tags

11-23-08 04:10 AM
    Windows Live makes a BB version? Windows Live Search was the one reason i was worried about leaving winmo. I love it for business lookup, addresses, phone numbers etc. its been great to me. does BB have a similiar program? or does live plan on making a storm version?
    11-23-08 04:37 AM
    Windows Live makes a BB version? Windows Live Search was the one reason i was worried about leaving winmo. I love it for business lookup, addresses, phone numbers etc. its been great to me. does BB have a similiar program? or does live plan on making a storm version?
    just go to wls.live.com too download it, but as mentioned, it does not work at all on the storm
    11-23-08 04:48 AM
    how do i get BB maps to display my GPS location? it doesnt do it by default on mine (it would seem) and i couldnt find anything from the BB menu
    11-23-08 06:47 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD