We recently bought our 17 year old child a 8520 curve. Is there a way to track their location using my 8330? We are on different carriers. We are tired of her not telling us where she is! She is using ATT and we are on Verizon. Thanks to anyone who can help

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 07:54 AM
    You could probably save money if you all were on the same carrier. Verizon has a "chaperone" function that does exactly what you want. If you switch your daughter to Verizon, you could use that. It allows you to set alerts if the phone leaves a specific area, for example a school, or gets too close to a specific area, for example a prohibited hangout. I don't know any cross-carrier method you could use that she could not easily circumvent.
    01-16-10 08:30 AM
    Pretty sure you can but she can also block it. I forget where the settings for it are as I don't have a GPS-enabled phone anymore but try Options>Advanced Options, then GPS and Maps. If those don't have the settings, it should be in the Blackberry Maps options. You are going to have to take her phone to set the option to allow other BBs to find her using GPS.

01-16-10 08:32 AM
    Thanks but she pays for her own sevice so switching is not an option. But even going into her phone, how will we bw able to track her gps?

01-16-10 10:35 AM
    If she agreed to use the Latitude feature of Google Maps, then you could track her using Google Maps on your phone, or iGoogle on a PC. She could turn tracking on or off at will.
    01-16-10 10:46 AM
    Doesn't BBMaps do the same, searching another PIN location?

01-16-10 10:57 AM
    I will have 2 chk it out. Thanks

01-16-10 10:59 AM
    With Google Maps Latitude you can watch your friends or family location... on your Blackberry if you have a Data plan and also in your computer on the iGoogle page you just add the gadget... you just need to create or use a gmail account.

Also Instamapper it updates the position each "seconds" you choose and lets you track via internet on any computer you just create the account...

In both cases your daughter could deactivate the applications if she doesn't want you to track her... if she knows that you installed the apps... you could hide the icons on her Blackberry.
    01-16-10 11:35 AM
    Google maps is not going to do any good in this case. She is on verizon and the gps will not work with google maps.
    01-16-10 12:07 PM
    A 17 year old child who pays their own cell phone bill? Sounds more like a responsible adult to me.

But, not being on the same carrier, your daughter will need to agree to let you track her. There is nothing you can do without her knowing that your tracking her. If you install a program to track her, without her knowledge, and she finds out, I'm sure that she would have some issues with trusting you too.

I think you just need to trust your 17 year old daughter (she's not a child if she pays her own cell phone bill) more, and let her be happy with her new phone.
    01-16-10 12:11 PM
    Google maps is not going to do any good in this case. She is on verizon and the gps will not work with google maps.
    The daughter's phone is with AT&T. The parents are on Verizon.
    01-16-10 01:06 PM
    If she agreed to use the Latitude feature of Google Maps, then you could track her using Google Maps on your phone, or iGoogle on a PC. She could turn tracking on or off at will.
    This is the best suggestion. Even if your daughter was also with VZW, the Chaperone feature does not work with BlackBerry phones. However, she can turn the Google Latitude app off completely, or set it for a different location.
    01-16-10 01:10 PM
    Thanks for the info Chrisy. I didn't realize Chaperone was not for BlackBerry.
    01-16-10 01:20 PM
    A 17 year old child who pays their own cell phone bill? Sounds more like a responsible adult to me.

But, not being on the same carrier, your daughter will need to agree to let you track her. There is nothing you can do without her knowing that your tracking her. If you install a program to track her, without her knowledge, and she finds out, I'm sure that she would have some issues with trusting you too.

I think you just need to trust your 17 year old daughter (she's not a child if she pays her own cell phone bill) more, and let her be happy with her new phone.
    Congratulations, counselor. Now we know your opinion on whether or not you think the OP is raising his/her child properly, which incidentally, happens to be altogether irrelevant to this discussion; not to mention, unsolicited.

Whew! Anyway, just a head's up to anyone reading this who is considering using VZW Chaperone Family Locator to keep tabs on their child who has a non-bb phone: there is no way to turn off notifications. In other words, the child is alerted every time you ping his/her phone. This is why my wife and I chose not to use it.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-16-10 at 03:02 PM.
    01-16-10 02:10 PM
    Along with Lattitude, there is InstaMapper (InstaMapper - Free Real-Time GPS Tracking). You install a small app on the BB, then you can view the location through any web browser. It works quite well. You can even turn on track to see where they have been.
    01-16-10 02:15 PM
    with Where is y phone you can ask to be informed by google map where her phone is(4$). It works by email but you need to ask her position everytime(not automaticly).

But 8520 dont have the GPS feature, so the position will never be precise
    01-16-10 02:15 PM
    Why would you wanna track her? shes 17, probally not the best idea unless you live in a dodgy neighborhood..

just my 0.02 cents
    01-16-10 02:17 PM
    If she pays her own bill you have no control over the phone.
    You need physical possession of the phone to install any software.

Anything you install can be construed as spying since you do not own the device or pay the bill.
    01-18-10 03:33 PM
    Anything you install can be construed as spying since you do not own the device or pay the bill.
    She is a minor living in the OP's house. It is not spying, it is a parental right. If she was 18, it would be a different story.

01-18-10 03:38 PM
    Why not just install the hidden GPS package in her car. I don't know many teenagers that get far away from their cars. The service is like OnStar as it can track any vehicle that subscribes. Prices range from ~$4USD for a few hits a month to ~$150USD for unlimited hits a year. There are a few GPS units they use. One can be moved vehicle to vehicle and another is hard installed like an alarm system or high end car radio amplifier.

01-18-10 10:48 PM
    Why not just install the hidden GPS package in her car. I don't know many teenagers that get far away from their cars. The service is like OnStar as it can track any vehicle that subscribes. Prices range from ~$4USD for a few hits a month to ~$150USD for unlimited hits a year. There are a few GPS units they use. One can be moved vehicle to vehicle and another is hard installed like an alarm system or high end car radio amplifier.

Blipplus works great for this. It'll report on 15 minute intervals, doesn't hog battery or processor, and once installed you can hide the icon (nothing fancy, click on it and hide) and it'll run in the background.
    Unfortunately, it's not supporting the 8500 series as of now, but if you can get it somehow, it will work. (I had it on an 8330 and moved it to my 8530 with my DM wizard, but it will not let me download it from appworld due to me being on an 8530).
    Btw, the wife and I have this on our phones, it's handy and she can see if I'm still tied up at work 200 miles away without having to interupt me.
    01-19-10 07:03 AM
    Blipplus works great for this. It'll report on 15 minute intervals, doesn't hog battery or processor, and once installed you can hide the icon (nothing fancy, click on it and hide) and it'll run in the background.
    Unfortunately, it's not supporting the 8500 series as of now, but if you can get it somehow, it will work. (I had it on an 8330 and moved it to my 8530 with my DM wizard, but it will not let me download it from appworld due to me being on an 8530).
    Btw, the wife and I have this on our phones, it's handy and she can see if I'm still tied up at work 200 miles away without having to interupt me.
    If you ever can't get BlipPlus to work any more, for your needs, Google Maps Latitude would work just fine I would think. I use it so my wife can see wherever I'm at in the country within 3 meters.

However for the Op's needs, BlipPlus would be better because it can be hidden.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-19-10 at 07:10 AM.
    01-19-10 07:07 AM
    However if the teenager in question is technically inclined in any way, any app on her phone will be shut down once she figures out what is going on. Doing it to a car is as simple as misleading them by installing a new radio or set of speakers etc and just having something else added as well that cannot be turned off.

01-19-10 08:25 AM
    She is a minor living in the OP's house. It is not spying, it is a parental right. If she was 18, it would be a different story.

While I have three kids and might partially agree with you.
    Once she is paying the bill with his/her own cash you no longer have a right to that device and would have to legally get a court order to at he contents.

If the OP s so **** bent on tracking, pay the bill and track via the Verizon service or any number of other apps that email location of the device.

Under the premise of since I pay for the device I can know where it is.
    01-22-10 04:48 PM
    While I have three kids and might partially agree with you.
    Once she is paying the bill with his/her own cash you no longer have a right to that device and would have to legally get a court order to at he contents.

If the OP s so **** bent on tracking, pay the bill and track via the Verizon service or any number of other apps that email location of the device.

Under the premise of since I pay for the device I can know where it is.
    I would think that the contract would have to be in the parent's name. I am not aware of any carrier that allows someone under 18 to sign a contract for a cell phone plan.
    01-22-10 04:59 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD