I am looking for a free app that I can use while golfing to measure the distance of a shot. I would like to hold my berry on the tee, click to mark the spot, then walk up to the ball and click again and have it calculate the distance in yards (I usually get 3m accuracy on the course).

I've seen a lot of mapping software that almost does this, but it usually tracks the distance my berry traveled, not between the two spots and I end up creating waypoints and calculating the distance myself based on the lat/long and then converting it to yards, which takes forever.

Anyone know of something that will work? Thanks!
    06-18-08 09:12 AM
    You could develop a program which calculates the distance between the last two coordinates. The last coordinate could be recorded/stored by simply pressing a button. If you have two points then it calculates the distance and refreshes it if it has a new point.

That would be a simple app and easy to implement.

Regards
    Paul
    06-18-08 01:21 PM
    Thanks for the response Paul.

I realize that it would be simple for someone who knows what they're doing, but that isn't me. I would have to start from scratch in learning about building the app. I was hoping that someone had already done this and posted it somewhere that I could d/l it. If I don't hear anything, then maybe I will start doing the research to build it. If I do create it, I'll be sure to post it.
    06-19-08 06:38 AM
    well i have experience with gps and distance calculation (as you can see in the thread:
    5 Attachment(s) Application that shows Lat/Long etc without maps? )

If you like me to develop a simple app for you let me know, but currently im a bit too busy doing other development.

Regards
    Paul
    06-19-08 07:13 AM
    I have used MScorecard for several years for tracking my golf scores..and for the past year HAS GPS for front / middle/ back pin locations...but..I reset the Back pin location when i am on the tee and it shows me distance for my tee shot..AND to front and middle of green...
    btw it also keeps score and statistics for 5 golfers very very easy to use and emails everyone the results
    06-19-08 09:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD