I have the curve 8330 and am having gps issues. The only way my gps function works with google maps is if I run telenav first. I want to get rid of telenav due to the cost but want gps. Is there something that I am missing here?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 08:34 AM
    I've actually been wondering this same thing, although I didn't think it would be worth making a topic. From what I have seen so far, NO ONE has been able to get GPS to work on google maps or poynt.
    06-01-09 09:12 AM
    I can get it to work but only if I run telenav first. Customer service response is to wipe the handheld clean and it might work. Ugh!

06-01-09 09:22 AM
    Try to run BBmaps, get a lock then switch apps and see if you can get Google Maps to work. I do that to get amAze to work correctly.
    06-01-09 09:32 AM
    If your running an alltel os gps won't work without telenav it seems. I am now running .160 and my gps works with bb maps and google both(I haven't tried amaze). The gps also worked fine when I was using .131.

06-01-09 09:40 AM
    If your running an alltel os gps won't work without telenav it seems. I am now running .160 and my gps works with bb maps and google both(I haven't tried amaze). The gps also worked fine when I was using .131.

Yeah, forgot to mention I did the upgrade from .127 (no gps on Alltel) to .160.
    06-01-09 09:48 AM
    I will try the upgrade this evening. When you do an upgrade should the BB be backed up first or will it install and leave everything as is?

06-01-09 10:18 AM
    I will try the upgrade this evening. When you do an upgrade should the BB be backed up first or will it install and leave everything as is?

It's always a good idea to manually backup everything, just in case something unforeseen happens.
    06-01-09 11:12 AM

It never hurts to do a backup - "just in case", but the upgrade will do a backup and restore during the process.
    06-01-09 11:14 AM
    You can get the GPS working with Alltel on the 8330 and not use Telenav.
    Take a look here

I have not found a good Turn by Turn that also takes but google maps does work.
    Last edited by AllGood; 06-01-09 at 01:55 PM.
    06-01-09 01:51 PM
    You can get the GPS working with Alltel on the 8330 and not use Telenav.
    Take a look here

I have not found a good Turn by Turn that also takes but google maps does work.
    I don't think that is necessary, as long as the Alltel 8330 is on .131 or higher.
    06-01-09 01:55 PM
    Yeah, using .160 bbmaps locked on to or located 5 sats for me this morning in less than 30 seconds. This is just slightly faster than using .131 (but various conditions could affect this.).

06-01-09 03:45 PM
    I got a lock on 8 sats today on BBmaps, when I opened google maps, and did find me, I was found far far away from home. But with BBmaps I had a lock on the right location.
    06-01-09 10:36 PM
    Well I did the upgrade from 127 to 160 last night and it seems to have worked well.

I now can get GPS fairly quickly on BBMaps but not so well with Google Maps.

Other than a few slight issues it seems to be a good upgrade.

Thanks for all the help and input.
    06-02-09 06:48 AM
    My dad updated from .127 to .160 and everything went fine..... got a gps lock in like 10 sec. The GPS worked all day. He turned the phone off and charged it that night and when he tried his gps the next morning it would not work. GPS is on... all the settings are right. Any ideas????
    Thanks
    Robby

ps
    under opt/adv set/gps/ source is has 2 things in there
    1 says device the other says the model of his old phone
    is that right?
    Last edited by awfpack; 06-27-09 at 01:10 PM.
    06-27-09 08:14 AM
    If you're trying to get sat with google maps all I can say is its spotty at best. Try a battery pull and then try to get a sat lock with bbmaps.

06-27-09 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD