Hey all...

Is it possible to use the gps while the radio is off (what I understand to be airplane mode)?

I can't get a lock w gpsed or any map app unless the radio is on....which could get me yelled at.

Thx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 05:49 PM
    Yes, you can.. but you wont get any updated map data.. your GPS will just move along a blank map.

You NEED cell data to update the graphics on a map.

Since you're turning off the radio, not 100% sure if it'll work.. I do know that the GPS will connect to the Satellite's and get GPS data, but without the data connection (radio on), the GPS will just roam on a blank map.
    Last edited by sniffs; 11-07-08 at 05:53 PM.
    11-07-08 05:51 PM
    GPSed is an app that shows all sorts of info - speed, altitude, etc but it (nor map programs) get a lock without the radio on =( how can I turn it to airplane mode and still get gps lock - even on a blank map?

11-07-08 05:55 PM
    So turn the radio on, then go to "Manage Connections" and uncheck Mobile Network. =)
    11-07-08 05:57 PM
    Immediately when I uncheck mobile network the gps drops out =( if it matters, 8330 on sprint

11-07-08 06:01 PM
    No, it won't work.

Can I ask why it is that you need directions from an airplane? Do you work for an airline? If so, can you tell me which one so I can never fly with them again?
    11-07-08 07:35 PM
    ^^LMAO!

The airlines won't really yell at you, I use my BB on flights for music an never turn off the radio. almost all flights are beyond the reach of the cell towers anyways.

If you want to see the flight path, use a laptop and a USB GPS puck.
    11-07-08 09:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD