is the gps free or included in the data plan?
    03-05-09 10:46 AM
    You get a trial but it's not included.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

03-05-09 10:49 AM
    The GPS works without the data plan. However the maps that are needed to show where you are, they need the data plan to download.
    03-05-09 10:51 AM
    i believe it's free, you will need an app for the gps though if you want turn by turn directions, but it will work for blackberry maps. Hope this helps!!
    03-05-09 10:52 AM
    The GPS receiver in the 8900 is not locked to any particular application (as opposed to the way Verizon historically locked down BB GPS's to their chosen apps, for which they charge). Therefore, any app that uses GPS, and runs on an 8900, can make use of the GPS receiver on the device.

Google Maps uses GPS on the 8900, Poynt (beta) makes use of GPS for LBS (location based services), there's Nav4All, and Maufait Instafind uses GPS for LBS as well. I'm sure there are others that are free and can also use the 8900 GPS.

Apps like Garmin and Telenav will cost you, but offer features that you just don't get yet on the free packages (such as turn-by-turn text-to-speech directions).
    03-05-09 11:09 AM
    AmAze GPS is free, and works great. I haven't even tried Telenav yet because I know it's a monthly fee. AmAze does turn by turn directions..the only problem with it is the interface is still a little rough (some things just aren't really BlackBerry-like...like hitting certain keys to access menus, etc), but it does function VERY well. It does not say street names in the audible directions, but will say things like "In 500 feet, turn right). There are several modes of navigating, too...One other issue with it seems that if I back out of the app to, say, answer an email, it doesn't remember the last thing you were doing (for example, if you're on your way to a route), so you then have to re-enter it.

As said, GoogleMaps and others use the GPS great to show location, but for turn by turn, you'll need AmAze or Telenav.
    03-05-09 11:24 AM
    how is the gps on the 8900 overall?
    03-05-09 01:56 PM
    good. I get about a meter accuracy or so.
    03-05-09 02:15 PM
    I've enabled gps and found sattelites, but bbmaps and google maps do not work with gps. I have tried everything....I got my 8900 weeks before the official relase and have yet to succesfully use gps

03-05-09 02:21 PM
    Sorry, for some reason I thought the OP meant TeleNav not BB Maps or Google Maps.
    03-05-09 02:51 PM
    Google Maps uses GPS on the 8900, Poynt (beta) makes use of GPS for LBS (location based services), there's Nav4All, and Maufait Instafind uses GPS for LBS as well. I'm sure there are others that are free and can also use the 8900 GPS.
    Does Google Maps actually use GPS. Mine shows an optoin for Bluetooth GPS but does not recognize the GPS on the 8900 which BBMaps does. Im using v2.3.1.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

BB
    03-07-09 02:36 PM
    Does Google Maps actually use GPS. Mine shows an optoin for Bluetooth GPS but does not recognize the GPS on the 8900 which BBMaps does. Im using v2.3.1.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

BB
    Yes Google Maps does use the 8900's internal GPS.

You seem to be using a dinosaur version there though
    Install the new v3.0.2 and give that a try.
    03-07-09 02:49 PM
    I've tried to install the trial for Telenav but it keeps saying download failed. Anybody else have this problem?
    03-07-09 03:08 PM
    Yes Google Maps does use the 8900's internal GPS.

You seem to be using a dinosaur version there though
    Install the new v3.0.2 and give that a try.

Thanks. Already did so and it does use the GPS.

Also installed AmAze. It seems to be worth what I paid for it; at least on one trial: it sent me to the wrong place (or would have had I followed it) for a location that is only 4 miles away. Maybe it works better in the UK where they drive on the wrong side etc etc.

Thanks again.

BB
    03-07-09 03:28 PM
    Thanks. Already did so and it does use the GPS.

Also installed AmAze. It seems to be worth what I paid for it; at least on one trial: it sent me to the wrong place (or would have had I followed it) for a location that is only 4 miles away. Maybe it works better in the UK where they drive on the wrong side etc etc.

Thanks again.

BB
    1) I hope you didn't pay anything for amAze!
    2) We drive on the correct side of the road... the rest of the world is doing it wrong!
    03-07-09 03:35 PM
    1) I hope you didn't pay anything for amAze!
    2) We drive on the correct side of the road... the rest of the world is doing it wrong!
    Right on: it was free and worth every pence.

I can prove you drive on the wrong side: walking is more natural than driving; when you walk (esp. down the moving stairs in the tube) slower folks are asked to stand to the right and you pass on the left. so MIND THE GAP!

B B (the better Cambridge)
    03-07-09 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD