ok, so here's the question, I couldnt' find an exact answer in the search, so...I have an 8130 and just recently got an unlimited data plan from bell. so I downloaded google maps, and bbmaps, to try them out to see which I like better. Well the question is when using google maps, it gives me an approximate location of 1700 meters, but when I go into advanced options - GPS - Gps services -on, it gives me down to 10 meters...is there extra charge for gps when gps services are set to "on"? or is it charged monthly solely if i use GPS Nav? ANy help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Rob
    06-02-08 04:56 PM
    I have a similar question, when i turn my "location on" the google maps still gives me a range of 1700m. do you have to pay extra to have verizon turn on your gps?

Thanks!
    06-04-08 06:55 PM
    These are 2 different questions.

First - there is no charge to use the GPS satellites that are in orbit. Your phone or GPS puck has a sensor that can pinpoint its location based on triangulation. If your device can get in contact with 3 satellites it can pinpoint your location down to 10 to 50 feet. With a 4th satellite, your device can pick up altitude, but you are using mapping programs so that doesn't matter. The 1700 meters is because before you turned on GPS, it was basing your location off of triangulation from the closest Cell towers on the ground. Hence, GPS is more accurate.

Second - Verizon disables the use of GPS except for use with VZ Navigator. So even though you turned it on, it won't work without using VZ Navigator.
    06-06-08 03:56 PM
    I have a similar question, when i turn my "location on" the google maps still gives me a range of 1700m. do you have to pay extra to have verizon turn on your gps?

Thanks!
    Holvey is correct re Verizon disabling the GPS in their phones. People who use VZNav usually give it good reviews, so that's a $10/month option. Another option for Verizon users is to buy an external GPS, such as the Freedom Keychain 2000, available from the Crackberry store. That's under $100. If you use it for a year, it's cheaper than VZNav, but you still have to provide software. It is only the GPS. There are a number of good nav programs. BBMaps, Google Maps, CoPilot...all free, or at least free trial in the case of CoPilot. So you have some options.
    06-06-08 06:24 PM
    Thanks, just wanted to make sure that they didn't surprise me with a charge for having GPS turned on!

Rob

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-08 11:21 PM
    The unlimited plan tha tyou have on Bell Mobility don't include for GPS. The unlimited plan is for internet, email and BB Messenger only. That is why I use it with a bluetooth gps, like the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 who works perfectly with my BB. Fell free to pin me if you want.
    06-07-08 08:03 AM
    thats odd you say that because bell says its unlimited for everything except for teathering, and gps isn't extra when using google maps or something of the likes. since its just using data, but if i wre to use telenav or whatever its called then i'd be payin an extra monthly fee. also using messenger is 5/month extra i believe, but using jivetalk is just using data, thats what bell told me.
    06-07-08 12:23 PM
    how abotu a pearl with USCC?

they say my gps is functioning and even told me to get google maps for my phone .. btu it cant find my location at all ..

i can type in an address and it can locate me but it cant find my GSP location ?
    06-18-08 08:12 AM
    I've personally found that BB maps works the best for simple GPS navagation. Per a gentalman at work, I downloaded google maps and instamapping. With instamapping, it wouldn't lock on to my phone. So after lots of trying off and on, I just ended up using BB maps.
    06-21-08 10:39 PM
    Mine works now thank you

06-23-08 12:07 PM
    Is there a way to unlock the GPS with verizon?

06-23-08 12:14 PM
    No. Verizon users have no choice but to subscribe to VZNav or purchase an external bluetooth GPS puck, like the Freedom Keychain 2000, available from the Crackberry store. VZNav gets generally good reviews from people who use it.
    06-23-08 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD