So I did some searching and couldn't find the answer I need.

I have the 9300. I was wondering if the GPS on the 9300 is a full gps, or one that uses cell towers to triangulate your position? (A-GPS?)

I'm wondering this because I want to use the gps on it, but not if it's going to eat up my 500mb's of data on my plan fast.
    If it is a stand alone gps, then is there a good app that I can use? I have google maps on it now and works. But I'm wondering if it's full gsp or data used gps.

Also, how much data does it use if it does work off my data plan? Lets say I used it for an hour a day?

Thanks in advance!
    09-30-10 07:20 PM
    So I did some searching and couldn't find the answer I need.

I have the 9300. I was wondering if the GPS on the 9300 is a full gps, or one that uses cell towers to triangulate your position? (A-GPS?)

I'm wondering this because I want to use the gps on it, but not if it's going to eat up my 500mb's of data on my plan fast.
    If it is a stand alone gps, then is there a good app that I can use? I have google maps on it now and works. But I'm wondering if it's full gsp or data used gps.

Also, how much data does it use if it does work off my data plan? Lets say I used it for an hour a day?

Thanks in advance!

1. A-GPS

2. 500MB on a Blackberry is ALOT of data. Data is compressed on a BB 3x less than, say an Android or iPhone device. In other words, you're not ever going to touch close to that 500MB on a BB.
    09-30-10 07:25 PM
    Thats awesome! Thanks!

So just a side question.

With Google Maps on my phone, I can use the gps part of it without adding the Navigator to my plan?
    09-30-10 07:54 PM
    Thats awesome! Thanks!

So just a side question.

With Google Maps on my phone, I can use the gps part of it without adding the Navigator to my plan?
    Yes, granted you won't get voice turn-by-turn directions. but Google Maps is just as sufficient.
    09-30-10 08:24 PM
    Sweet!
    I may be going to Hawaii soon and want to use it so i son't get lost.
    09-30-10 09:57 PM
    Sweet!
    I may be going to Hawaii soon and want to use it so i son't get lost.
    lucky I wanna go...
    09-30-10 11:25 PM
    Yup the 9300 has a fully functional internal GPS (a-gps) and does the job really well

You can use the preinstalled "maps" application. Provided you know how to read maps, it WILL give you your current position and routes, but however it won't give you step by step turns or voice navigation (or so I believe)
    10-01-10 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD