I am with telus and i am trying to get the voice direction to work with gps directions any help
    01-01-09 09:48 PM
    can you give some detials?
    01-02-09 08:40 AM
    a number of telus subscribers have noted having issues accessing BB Maps, is this your problem also?
    01-02-09 12:37 PM
    I am with telus and I don't have any issues using the GPS with BBMaps. Additionally, it locks satellites pretty quickly (2 to 5 seconds). One thing you may have to do before is to set the following options for the GPS:

-Go to Options | Advanced Options | GPS
    -GPS Data Source = Device GPS
    -GPS Services = Location On
    -Location Aiding = Enabled

I hope this helps.
    01-02-09 01:21 PM
    Why has everyone bought into the marketing hype, gps is just location isn't certainly doesn't give you routing or directions, that would be sat "nav"
    01-02-09 01:36 PM
    Try garmin for blackberry, it does voice navigation. You can try it for 7 days free and then it will cost you 79$ or 99$ (depending if the promotion is still on). Other than that, google maps and BBMaps don't offer voice navigation.
    01-02-09 05:00 PM
    Why has everyone bought into the marketing hype, gps is just location isn't certainly doesn't give you routing or directions, that would be sat "nav"
    ok, your location says Australia so i will go off that.

GPS has taken on the meaning in the usa as driving directions.

Geocaching would be the finding places word these days.

because theoretically you would have to say GPS Navigation.... nav could be just talking about a paper map!
    01-03-09 08:50 PM
    Okay, I've read all over and it appears that GPS only works on some units and some units it doesn't work. This is really frustrating as my 1st Storm with Telus had the GPS fully locked and working with over 8-10 satellites connected to BBmaps. I had to have that unit replaced due to the bad screen clicking problem. With my 2nd unit, the screen works great but then now the GPS won't work?!?!?!? Arrrggghhh so damn frustrating. . . yes, I've checked all settings and everything is turned "ON" for GPS. I"m using the same exact OS .76 on that came pre-installed oh all TELUS Storms.

If anyone has any clue on how to fix this, it would be great! Thanks ahead of time.
    01-08-09 11:37 PM
    telus has a problem, you will need to contact them on this, as it appears there are few GPS knowledgeable Storm owners on this site. Check some other sites for help would be a good idea
    01-11-09 10:59 PM
    GPS has taken on the meaning in the usa as driving directions.
    GPS has been round since the 80s, marketing for sat nav products has only been round since they turned off selective availability in 2000. The datum most use (WGS-84) is an indication of the year of "origin", ie the year that marks zero, due to plate drift they have to start somewhere, actually the GPS system dates back before the 80's but it didn't go into effect, effectively till the 80s.

because theoretically you would have to say GPS Navigation.... nav could be just talking about a paper map!
    Hence "sat nav"... Although with A-GPS this isn't accurate either, but I won't get too soap boxy about that
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 01-11-09 at 11:13 PM.
    01-11-09 11:11 PM
    telus has a problem, you will need to contact them on this, as it appears there are few GPS knowledgeable Storm owners on this site. Check some other sites for help would be a good idea
    There is also a GPS section to these forums, and there is a lot of people having issues with CDMA varient of all models, not just the Storm.
    01-11-09 11:15 PM
    and working with over 8-10 satellites connected
    That would depend how many "birds" are visible...

The GPS system was designed to only garentee 4 at the very minimum, and depending on other things, trees, buildings and other things with large amounts of mass the can easily absorb the signal, you may not get any.

Check out this site which gives real time GPS sat locations and if you tweak it for your location it will tell you how many should be active and "visible" to you if you have a clear view of the entire sky etc.

Oh and the more they are spread out the better it helps with accuracy.
    01-11-09 11:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD