So when I switch from 2G&3G to just 3G, it has the 3G logo for a couple of seconds then the connection disappears and I'm without a network.

Is this a problem with the receiver in the Bold? I know the network is fine because I also tried connecting out of the countryside - where I live, and tried it in Manchester city centre today, in the Orange shop, where they confirmed signal was strong. No connection holding.

Also, what's the real difference between GPRS and EDGE. I can connect to EDGE, although it's automatic, nothing to do with me and it is superfast in comparison. IS EDGE the 3G data network?

Why am I so confused about this?
    Someone bring me a cup of tea.
    04-08-09 09:20 AM
    Orange uses a different SIM series for 3G so make sure you have a 3G SIM. This is more likely than a defective Bold.

The transfer speed is the major difference between EDGE and GSM. It goes
    GSM<EDGE<3G
    04-08-09 09:24 AM
    Orange uses a different SIM series for 3G so make sure you have a 3G SIM. This is more likely than a defective Bold.

The transfer speed is the major difference between EDGE and GSM. It goes
    GSM<EDGE<3G

The SIM was previously in a Pearl, it came with the Pearl, it's fairly modern.

I bought the Bold new off eBay and unlocked it, so do I need to contact RIM to ask them about this? I don't think Orange will deal with a defective phone....not that I really *need* 3G, I just want it.
    04-08-09 09:50 AM
    GPRS are very slow.. about 56k modem speeds.

EDGE is a little faster, 150Kbps-225Kbps whereas 3G(HSDPA enabled phones) is 3.6Mbps
    04-08-09 10:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD