It's not about you. Just because you're unimportant doesn't make everybody so.

Information is power. When Google knows everything about everyone, can turn on your microphones, cameras, has all your documents, emails and pictures, well, guess what? They own you! Ever want to run for office? Better clear it with Google first. And you'd better hope nobody at Google ever comes to dislike you because they own you and can mess your life up in ways you can't imagine with all that data.

Why does nobody seem to get this? It's not about you, peon. It's about freedom. If you're willing to live as a tracked beast, ever subservient to Google because you're too lazy to check your favorite band's website every few months, "Bow down before the one you serve. You're gonna get what you deserve."
    How about you quit calling people names and let them do as they wish.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    reeneebob likes this.
    03-15-14 04:05 PM
    Sorry, but I find Google Now utterly dumb. If you need Google to keep tabs on you like that and tell you what interests you, and you're willing to live as a tagged duck for all that useless information, well, more power to you. But it's not for me.
    So, therefore, it's not for everyone correct? Or if someone likes it they are "dumb". Brilliant.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    reeneebob likes this.
    03-15-14 04:06 PM
    Yes but at what cost? All those things that you praised are now sold to the highest bidder and all your information is out there. Google isn't making the experience for end users because the end user is the byproduct. Google does the for the affiliates so they can better understand how to entice you to spend money.
    What, exactly, do you think is "out there?"

As I explained earlier in this thread, advertisers (the "highest bidders") only bid on SEARCH KEYWORDS. And that doesn't give them lists of names, contact info, and credit card numbers. All it does is show people who have used those keywords a link to an ad. Again, THE HORROR!

You clearly don't understand how it works, so you are frightened of some imagined thing that doesn't exist, at least, not with Google. That stuff DOES happen, but it happens in ways you probably don't think about, even though you probably do them all the time.

Yes, Google has all your information, but that information doesn't leave Google. Advertisers don't get any of it - Google has created a double-blind system where they can put a company's ads in front of the eyes most likely to be interested in that ad, without that company being given any information about the owner of those eyes by Google.

If Google did the things you imagine that they do, they'd be in the news every day, their stock would be worth less than BB's, and Android phones would barely be a blip on the radar. The reason Google is so valuable is because they've found a balance between being able to give advertisers the access they want without giving them the individual information that users want protected. That is THE reason for Google's success.
    03-15-14 04:20 PM
    WHY does everyone assume there's malicious intent to Google wanting location and other data???? Consider this scenario:

I'm looking up a band on YouTube. I check my Google Now content, and it shows me that there's a concert for that band playing in town this weekend. It showed me that result because my search on YouTube indicated I was interested in this band, and my current location showed I was closeby to their concert venue. I click the concert listing on Google Now and it gives me options for purchasing tickets. What DOESN'T happen is getting bombarded with unsolicited phone calls from the ticket agencies saying "Hey, Google told us you like this band! Did you know they're playing in your area this weekend? Buy tickets from us!" You see the suggestion in Google Now, you decide if the concert is something you're interested, and if you are you can either buy tickets or swipe the suggestion away and not be alerted to it again.

Google Now also gives me real-time traffic alerts. I have it set to give me traffic alerts for work, home, the gym, and my brother and SIL's house. If you are a creature of habit and leave work at the same time every day, go to the gym right after work, and go home after 2 hours at the gym, you'll get alerts in your status bar about the traffic to each destination. If you put a location in a calendar entry, you'll get an alert about 20 minutes before the time you need to leave to get there on time based on traffic.

THESE FEATURES ARE DESIGNED TO HELP. Is it kind of creepy the first time GN predicted when I was about to leave for work? Sure. But the feature is a big help.

OP, you say you'll scream if you download one more app that wants you to pay for something? Hint...just don't download the app! Are you downloading games with in-app purchases or something? I'm sure you'll live without those. None of my apps require me to purchase anything unless it's for something I already subscribe to, like Netflix. Oh I just thought of once where I can purchase something - my OK Cupid app has an option to "promote" my profile by putting my profile to the front of the suggestion list for each person I match with for 15 minutes if I pay a dollar. It's never crossed my mind to be upset at this...I just don't do it.

My philosophy on apps from the Play Store is to only download apps that have the Editor's Choice and Top Developer distinctions. You'll see them on the app description page. The ONLY exception to this rule is that I download apps from my local news station, some restaurants, etc that may not have the Editor's Choice and Top Developer distinctions but they're from companies I trust.

Battery on the Nexus 5 is subpar compared to other high-end Android devices. The Nexus line typically has lower batteries, cameras, and other things to help keep the price lower than other flagships.

There are dozens of Twitter apps out there. Try one that doesn't freeze. I like Plume and TweetCaster. There are other FB apps as well but I don't have much experience with those.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't and you're still unhappy, try searching the CB marketplace to see if anyone would trade a Z10 or Q10 for your Nexus 5.
    Great post. Services like Google Now are the evolution of search from pull to push. They try to learn your routines, interests, etc. so they can present you with potentially relevant information without the need for you to search or actively seek it. It's a little creepy, but for most people, the utility outweighs the privacy concern. And with the way so many people update their social media status or check in at some location, they're voluntarily providing far more detailed info than what the service typically will aggregate.

Regarding the Nexus 5 and battery life, I have the Moto X and the battery life is great. And the combination of Active Display and the drop-down notification bar are great for efficiency and productivity. And because Active Display knows when you pick the phone up, I rarely have to use the power button to unlock it: just swipe up or down on on the Active Display to go directly to a notification or the home screen/open app.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    03-15-14 06:39 PM
    The OP nailed it. The latest android OS even passively collects location data from nearby wifi networks even if you have your wifi turned off. In the end, nothing is free. I would much rather go to BlackBerry World and spend a few dollars on a product than sell myself as that product.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 06:50 PM
    So in January I dropped my carrier (big red) and went shopping...I wanted to upgrade from my bold 9930 and from all my research I only liked two options Z30 and the Nexus 5. Cost wise it was a no brainer, emotionally it was hard to leave BB. I bought the Nexus out right and went to Tmobile....I can say that being on this phone for 2 months now that I see why BB can't make any head way in the US. The driod and apple experience is all about making money and collecting your data. If I download one more app that wants me to pay for something I am going to scream. If my phone ask me one more time to collect my location and data I am just going to scream louder. I have come to realize that as a BB user I dont expect apps to collect data unless I say so. I dont expect my info to be distributed to the highest bidder. So really it is the BB consumer that hurts BB. We dont like to have to pay monthly fees for an app, or to give our data over to and app. We expect a great product and privacy. If you get an andriod or apple you dont have a choice, you are a data and cash cow. MY Bold was great! a two year old phone that did everything I needed it to do. The other phone users can say that they have no problems with thier phones...BS. MY andriod updates an app every other day, so much I dont even that the app has been updated. The battery usage sucks compared to BB. I hate my FB app on here. My twitter app still freezes like on BB. BB products are great, dont believe that they are subpar! I tell people that I miss my BB all the time. The issue in the states is about data and cash, not the BB product. BB will only make head way in the states if they start selling data or pushing apps that want you to open your wallet. We as a BB community have to realize this. The BB phones have not conform to the US market, and we like that in a way. So dont blame BB they are doing what we ask them to do. I still use my playbook and to be truthful it's still up to par with most other tablets.
    You can't have a great phone for the price of the Nexus 5 AND expect privacy.
    C'mon, you know Google make money from adverts.

What do you expect on a Nexus device?

You could always unlock your bootloader, install a custom ROM and choose NOT to install Google Play or the GAPPS package.
    There's also a great app that gives you granular permissions over your apps though you also need to root the Nexus.

The choice is yours.

As for a Twitter app, I use Carbon.
    03-15-14 06:56 PM
    What do you feel about BBRY gathering info?
    You've been repeatedly ignored when you've mentioned this. Typical.

Sorry, but I find Google Now utterly dumb. If you need Google to keep tabs on you like that and tell you what interests you, and you're willing to live as a tagged duck for all that useless information, well, more power to you. But it's not for me.
    It's not tabs. It's information you need. Here's my examples. My missus was flying home and I was picking her up from the airport. She had forwarded her confirmation email to my Gmail so I knew the flight details. On the day I had a notification, so didn't even need to open the app, telling me the flight number and when it would arrive. As it was getting closer to the flight the notification had updated itself to tell me the plane was delayed and gave me a new landing time. I knew this before my girlfriend had even told me. Bare in mind this is just information in my notification bar, when I opened the app I had the terminal number, departure and arrival times, flight number and the airport details.

Other examples are daily, it shows me information for stuff I have Googled so I'm upto date for what's going on in football, boxing, smartphones etc.

This isn't adding in travel and traffic updates when I'm away from home, weather forecasts, calendar or reminders. Being able to find out song names just by opening the app.

And on top of it all, using just as a bog standard phone search.

It may not be for everyone, being a battery drain is one, but it's a very powerful app.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-15-14 06:58 PM
    WHY does everyone assume there's malicious intent to Google wanting location and other data???? Consider this scenario:

I'm looking up a band on YouTube. I check my Google Now content, and it shows me that there's a concert for that band playing in town this weekend. It showed me that result because my search on YouTube indicated I was interested in this band, and my current location showed I was closeby to their concert venue. I click the concert listing on Google Now and it gives me options for purchasing tickets. What DOESN'T happen is getting bombarded with unsolicited phone calls from the ticket agencies saying "Hey, Google told us you like this band! Did you know they're playing in your area this weekend? Buy tickets from us!" You see the suggestion in Google Now, you decide if the concert is something you're interested, and if you are you can either buy tickets or swipe the suggestion away and not be alerted to it again.

Google Now also gives me real-time traffic alerts. I have it set to give me traffic alerts for work, home, the gym, and my brother and SIL's house. If you are a creature of habit and leave work at the same time every day, go to the gym right after work, and go home after 2 hours at the gym, you'll get alerts in your status bar about the traffic to each destination. If you put a location in a calendar entry, you'll get an alert about 20 minutes before the time you need to leave to get there on time based on traffic.

THESE FEATURES ARE DESIGNED TO HELP. Is it kind of creepy the first time GN predicted when I was about to leave for work? Sure. But the feature is a big help.

OP, you say you'll scream if you download one more app that wants you to pay for something? Hint...just don't download the app! Are you downloading games with in-app purchases or something? I'm sure you'll live without those. None of my apps require me to purchase anything unless it's for something I already subscribe to, like Netflix. Oh I just thought of once where I can purchase something - my OK Cupid app has an option to "promote" my profile by putting my profile to the front of the suggestion list for each person I match with for 15 minutes if I pay a dollar. It's never crossed my mind to be upset at this...I just don't do it.

My philosophy on apps from the Play Store is to only download apps that have the Editor's Choice and Top Developer distinctions. You'll see them on the app description page. The ONLY exception to this rule is that I download apps from my local news station, some restaurants, etc that may not have the Editor's Choice and Top Developer distinctions but they're from companies I trust.

Battery on the Nexus 5 is subpar compared to other high-end Android devices. The Nexus line typically has lower batteries, cameras, and other things to help keep the price lower than other flagships.

There are dozens of Twitter apps out there. Try one that doesn't freeze. I like Plume and TweetCaster. There are other FB apps as well but I don't have much experience with those.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't and you're still unhappy, try searching the CB marketplace to see if anyone would trade a Z10 or Q10 for your Nexus 5.
    I find Google's location based services extremely helpful, it's no different to a site accessed on the BB10 browser asking for your location.

Thank you for your common sense approach, PP.
    Last edited by CJH_; 03-15-14 at 07:24 PM.
    pantlesspenguin and pankaler like this.
    03-15-14 06:59 PM
    Is the App Ops app still available to use?

If so get that, switch off all the stuff you don't want it collecting and be happy in the knowledge. But all apps want data. The bbm app for android wants literally everything on my phone available. I could ask why does blackberry need all that data? Up until recently they wanted my contacts list, which up until a recent update, there was no need for it since it was pin entry.

Edit: Just checking the app permissions now and apparently bbm was reading my contacts list 26 minutes ago. I've not used bbm once today.
    ASFAIK, App Ops is still available.
    That's the one that needs root access on your phone?
    03-15-14 07:03 PM
    ASFAIK, App Ops is still available.
    That's the one that needs root access on your phone?
    At first I didn't think it did but I think it does now. Apparently as of 4.4.2 it was officially taken out by Google so needs root access to enable it.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    03-15-14 07:06 PM
    Um, BlackBerry does the same thing? I had to turn the location services off on my Z10 to get relatively decent battery life.
    Same here.
    Did you also turn off Diagnostics?
    03-15-14 07:07 PM
    At first I didn't think it did but I think it does now. Apparently as of 4.4.2 it was officially taken out by Google so needs root access to enable it.
    Thank you for clarifying.

I knew one app that gave granular permissions needs root access.
    Yatezy likes this.
    03-15-14 07:08 PM
    I don't use BB10 so I don't know about you. But every time I open Google Maps, it doesn't know where I am until it gets a GPS fix (because I opened the app). So I doubt my phone is tracing my route to all the liquor stores and brothels in town and selling the data to my mother.
    Google also use WiFi and cellular data to get a fix of your position; GPS helps them pinpoint you.
    03-15-14 07:10 PM
    You've been repeatedly ignored when you've mentioned this. Typical.

It's not tabs. It's information you need. Here's my examples. My missus was flying home and I was picking her up from the airport. She had forwarded her confirmation email to my Gmail so I knew the flight details. On the day I had a notification, so didn't even need to open the app, telling me the flight number and when it would arrive. As it was getting closer to the flight the notification had updated itself to tell me the plane was delayed and gave me a new landing time. I knew this before my girlfriend had even told me. Bare in mind this is just information in my notification bar, when I opened the app I had the terminal number, departure and arrival times, flight number and the airport details.

Other examples are daily, it shows me information for stuff I have Googled so I'm upto date for what's going on in football, boxing, smartphones etc.

This isn't adding in travel and traffic updates when I'm away from home, weather forecasts, calendar or reminders. Being able to find out song names just by opening the app.

And on top of it all, using just as a bog standard phone search.

It may not be for everyone, being a battery drain is one, but it's a very powerful app.
    That information was all fake so they could steal your identity. Have you checked your bank account? It has probably been drained. Martians will be landing soon to take your family to a far away planet. Everyone in the world knows where you live and that you like cheese doodles. There is a Google representative in your bushes. The moon is made of cheese. (Not doodles)

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-15-14 07:29 PM
    Yes, Google has all your information, but that information doesn't leave Google.
    This is questionable.
    Google privacy doc says opposite:
    We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances applies:

With your consent

We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google when we have your consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
    A year ago somebody blew a whistle that application developers get personal information from those who downloaded the apps (link).

And even if it was so that private information is safely stored in google vaults then it would be still unclear what proportion of their employees have access to my nude photos.

Google Now service can be implemented without data leaving smartphone.
    BB 10 uses device analytics to build dictionary for the virtual keyboard and I believe the service can be extended further.
    Mr.mister likes this.
    03-15-14 08:55 PM
    It's not about you. Just because you're unimportant doesn't make everybody so.

Information is power. When Google knows everything about everyone, can turn on your microphones, cameras, has all your documents, emails and pictures, well, guess what? They own you! Ever want to run for office? Better clear it with Google first. And you'd better hope nobody at Google ever comes to dislike you because they own you and can mess your life up in ways you can't imagine with all that data.

Why does nobody seem to get this? It's not about you, peon. It's about freedom. If you're willing to live as a tracked beast, ever subservient to Google because you're too lazy to check your favorite band's website every few months, "Bow down before the one you serve. You're gonna get what you deserve."
    Have you read the handful of posts above your post?!?

Two things:
    1) Google collects the data they collect so that the companies they sell advertising to can sell their advertising for products YOU want.

2) Every electronic transaction that involves transferring information from one location to another potentially has security concerns. That's true of Google, credit cards, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Amazon, and yes, both Blackberry and Mobile Nations/Crackberry.com.
    03-15-14 09:01 PM
    Hopefully this changes by next year with chip+PIN.
    We have that in Canada pretty much everywhere now and I'm surprised that it's not common in the US yet (I was just there last week and they did say it was coming soon).

The other question for those who avoid Google: do you also pay cash for everything? If you use a credit or debit card you leave a lot of data about yourself out there with multiple companies, most of which you haven't even heard of!
    Ok, Monoprice knows I buy HDMI cables (therefore I have a TV / am a home theatre nut) and Amazon knows I buy 3D Blu-Rays (so they know I have a Blu-Ray player and a 3D TV / am a home theatre nut) and I go on Websites and declare that I am a home theatre nut... so what is it they know about me that compares in any way to what Google knows about a full-buy-in Google user (where every search on every aspect of your life, every Web browser interaction, etc. is cached and analyzed?). The data that these companies have isn't "a lot" compared to Google... I wager that the companies I use my credit card at put together don't have a profile as complete as what Google can compile from all the services that it makes available and ties together.

I am getting the feeling that we're stepping on the toes of Google employees here who don't take kindly to accusations that they're building SkyNet... but any one NGO having the data stockpile that Google has is troubling. Yes, it provides valuable services to some, but honestly, it's too much power for a single PRIVATE entity that is above public scrutiny. Aside from the horrifying NSA stuff, lots of governments actually build in safeguards to protect the privacy of their citizens BECAUSE THEY SERVE THE PEOPLE, not just "some" people (a.k.a. "Google shareholders").

For example, I have to provide consent to one branch of the Canadian Government (the Canadian Revenue Agency (the Canadian IRS)) to perform the convenience for me of sending pertinent information from my tax form (contact info, marital status, address etc.) to another branch of the Canadian Government (Elections Canada) The CRA doesn't just send it without me opting-in on my tax return... but if I foolishly attach an unencrypted PDF of my Tax Return to a GMail message... what's stopping Google from "knowing" what's in that PDF File? NOTHING... but it would be a crime for any other party to intercept that message... but if I send it through Google I'm giving them tacit permission to do anything they want with that information. If you trust Google, you should have no problem sending that unencrypted PDF between two GMail addresses, because its encrypted from the computer to Google, and then rencrypted when the GMail recipient downloads it... so only the sender, the recipient, and Google can peek at it (NSA super decrypters notwithstanding)... but I bet nary a person would send your tax return unencrypted between GMail accounts. Ask yourself why.

So, I say again: if you're not worried that Google is evil TODAY, can you predict the future? If it serves the shareholders interests to be "less not evil" will Google (or FaceBook or any other entity that has such a complete profile of our personal data that it should be troubling to many) not do it? Remember we live in a world where corporate management can pretty much do anything they want and the worst that happens most of the time is that THEIR EMPLOYER gets fined, and they get fired, often with multi-million dollar payouts. And ask yourself why Google is actively lobbying to keep "driving while wearing Google Glass" off the "distracted driving" list... because they don't want one minute of the day to pass without projecting ads on your retina, even at risk of endangering your life. I want to like and trust Google without reservation, but then they go and do something like that and just make me think they're as bad as drug companies that rush products to market without adequate testing, or petroleum companies fraking and mining the oil sands... rather than make SURE something is safe, they want to push their product onto the market because it hasn't been proven UNsafe... until it is, in which case you have horrible illnesses or poisoned ground water. If Google's not evil, they shouldn't be lobbying the government against a prohibition of using Google Glass while driving: they should accept it as "unknown" whether something like Google Glass will increase the likelihood of accidents (both in vehicles and even pedestrians) and be spending some of their spare cash paying unbiased third-parties to do EXHAUSTIVE safety testing on people wearing Google Glass and THEN suggest that such a prohibition can safely be lifted... but that's not the most profitable approach.

Yes Google is not entirely tyrannical... at this point in time... but the chinks in the armor of goodness and light are starting to show, and there's no telling what will happen when the management of Google changes: employees come and go... computer systems in upcoming years will be able to analyze and manipulate this data in ways we can't imagine today... who will be in charge at Google then? The "least evil" people, or those who can increase profits the most?
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 03-15-14 at 09:51 PM.
    03-15-14 09:19 PM
    I am getting the feeling that we're stepping on the toes of Google employees here who don't take kindly to accusations that they're building SkyNet...
    Lol now I work for google?

Oh CB, never stop entertaining with the cray cray.
    03-15-14 10:50 PM
    I cheerfully welcome my future, Google powered robotic overlords.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-15-14 11:19 PM
    Wow.

I am working at an inpatient psychiatric facility as I read this.

A couple of folks in this thread are by far the most paranoid I've met in weeks.
    03-15-14 11:43 PM
    Ok, Monoprice knows I buy HDMI cables (therefore I have a TV / am a home theatre nut) and Amazon knows I buy 3D Blu-Rays (so they know I have a Blu-Ray player and a 3D TV / am a home theatre nut) and I go on Websites and declare that I am a home theatre nut... so what is it they know about me that compares in any way to what Google knows about a full-buy-in Google user (where every search on every aspect of your life, every Web browser interaction, etc. is cached and analyzed?). The data that these companies have isn't "a lot" compared to Google... I wager that the companies I use my credit card at put together don't have a profile as complete as what Google can compile from all the services that it makes available and ties together.
    That’s probably correct. But you can choose not to use Google, since there are other search providers, other e-mail providers, other map providers and other smartphone platforms, so everyone has a choice, right? Now, if you’re concerned that some people may not understand that there are other options, I get it. But your argument here makes no more sense than if I were to argue that you shouldn't use Monoprice because you might not be aware of Monster Cable. . .at some point you have to allow people to decide for themselves. In the same way that you are free to choose to buy cables from Monoprice or Blu ray discs from Amazon, other users are free to engage Google’s services if they choose to do so. (And it absolutely is a choice.)

Remember, the "full-buy-in" Google user has bought in, at least partially, with their data. That's part of the transaction, and it's not a secret. Again, Google users choose the service. It isn't mandatory, or even "volandatory". It's voluntary.

I am getting the feeling that we're stepping on the toes of Google employees here who don't take kindly to accusations that they're building SkyNet... but any one NGO having the data stockpile that Google has is troubling. Yes, it provides valuable services to some, but honestly, it's too much power for a single PRIVATE entity that is above public scrutiny. Aside from the horrifying NSA stuff, lots of governments actually build in safeguards to protect the privacy of their citizens BECAUSE THEY SERVE THE PEOPLE, not just "some" people (a.k.a. "Google shareholders”).
    Yeah, these are entirely similar, except that there are many people in this world that don’t have control over where they live or which government has jurisdiction over them (and certainly no control over the NSA). Yet every single Google user is voluntary, since Google lacks a monopoly in each of the industries in which it’s engaged. In fact, Google doesn’t even have a monopoly over Android.

As for the thing about Google employees, please. I don’t think Google cares about what happens on this forum and it’s rather arrogant to think otherwise in light of the sheer numbers involved. It's not 2007 anymore. . .Google is no longer looking to release a BBOS clone.

For example, I have to provide consent to one branch of the Canadian Government (the Canadian Revenue Agency (the Canadian IRS)) to perform the convenience for me of sending pertinent information from my tax form (contact info, marital status, address etc.) to another branch of the Canadian Government (Elections Canada) The CRA doesn't just send it without me opting-in on my tax return... but if I foolishly attach an unencrypted PDF of my Tax Return to a GMail message... what's stopping Google from "knowing" what's in that PDF File? NOTHING... but it would be a crime for any other party to intercept that message... but if I send it through Google I'm giving them tacit permission to do anything they want with that information. If you trust Google, you should have no problem sending that unencrypted PDF between two GMail addresses, because its encrypted from the computer to Google, and then rencrypted when the GMail recipient downloads it... so only the sender, the recipient, and Google can peek at it (NSA super decrypters notwithstanding)... but I bet nary a person would send your tax return unencrypted between GMail accounts. Ask yourself why.
    And yet, you can solve this problem completely by simply not using Google. Or, if your concerned about your taxes, just use an encrypted PDF. Solved.

As for “trusting” Google, it’s not a question of whether they are trusted. It’s a question of whether sharing data is worth the benefit of the services Google provides. If the answer is yes, you use the services and share the data. If the answer is no, you don’t. Certainly we can agree that it would be silly of me to expect to receive the benefits of services without something in return, right?

So, I say again: if you're not worried that Google is evil TODAY, can you predict the future?
    Nope, I sure can’t predict the future. But that applies to everything. We don’t know what Google will do in the future, just like we don't know what data BBRY may ultimately share with outside parties if that’s what it needs to do persist. Surely you doubt this will happen, but as you’ve made abundantly clear, we can’t predict the future.
    pankaler and pantlesspenguin like this.
    03-16-14 12:22 AM
    Peon?

Wow, you are truly charming. You aren't Braveheart for crying out loud. If you think getting rid of Google will save FREEEEEEDOM, you got another thing coming.

If the government wants you, they'll get you. Don't do anything to make them want you, I fail to see what the problem is.

Lock down all privacy, sure. Here's hoping you never go missing and they could have used your cell ping to find you. A certain lack of privacy is sometimes a good thing.

And anyone who thinks they had privacy up until evil Google came along is living a pipe dream.

And too lazy to check a bands website? Too busy. What if I don't check it and they announce a presale for the next morning? A limited block of tickets even?

Boy I'd be glad I got that notification.

Good lord, it's not like Google has a daily draw to ruin someone's life that day. The tinfoil hats too tight.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Everybody blames Google for any and all invasion of privacy. Consumer privacy went out the window with the first online purchase. And as far as the government getting whatever information they want, anyone who thinks they're waiting for Google to give them what they need is actually quite naive. Anyone who has ever filed a tax return, has a SSN, has a driver's license and has bought anything on credit has allowed the government to peer into the minutiae of his/her personal habits.

*waits for the knee jerk reaction that my statements be misconstrued as approval and acceptance*
    03-16-14 07:41 AM
    I just realized from reading another thread and seeing some familiar-looking wording that BobWalker might be hurds.
    reeneebob likes this.
    03-16-14 07:49 AM
    Everybody blames Google for any and all invasion of privacy. Consumer privacy went out the window with the first online purchase. And as far as the government getting whatever information they want, anyone who thinks they're waiting for Google to give them what they need is actually quite naive. Anyone who has ever filed a tax return, has a SSN, has a driver's license and has bought anything on credit has allowed the government to peer into the minutiae of his/her personal habits.

*waits for the knee jerk reaction that my statements be misconstrued as approval and acceptance*
    I didn't know you worked for Google! Can you get me the new Nexus 6? LOL.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-16-14 07:50 AM
    But your argument here makes no more sense than if I were to argue that you shouldn't use Monoprice because you might not be aware of Monster Cable.
    i'm only suggesting that for those who give their online selves willingly over to Google, Google has a more complete profile of their life (not just their online persona) than possibly the government, and is accountable to no one except their shareholders and some sketchy laws about "privacy", and they trust this for-profit entity completely: no checks and balances except their profit and loss statement. I find it puzzling, this "desire to trust", unquestioningly, and the accusations of "paranoia" towards those who do question. I do use some Google services, but I am wary, where many seem to "want" to trust a for-profit corporation so badly that they just do... without acknowledging that how private data is used can change faster than foreign policy after a regime change.

As for the thing about Google employees, please. I don�t think Google cares about what happens on this forum and it�s rather arrogant to think otherwise in light of the sheer numbers involved. It's not 2007 anymore. . .Google is no longer looking to release a BBOS clone.
    My comment about Google employees was a response to the "Leave Britney Alone!"-esque responses to criticism of or dire warnings about Google. Why are people rushing to Google's defence so vociferously?

No one is forcing anyone else to use Google services, but if you want a bit of an eye opener, install Firefox on Windows and the plug ins "noscript" and "ghostly" and you'll get an idea if how much data you're actually giving not just Google but lots of other "service providers". I don't run No Script because it makes far too many websites just not work.

in this day and age it's getting so admission to the Internet by default means giving in... I can't be bothered to fight every single "animals being jerks" funny pictures site over the dozen or more tracking sites that slow down my Web experience, cost me bandwidth and serve no perceivable purpose other than to monetize my presence for the site owner. Acceptance is different than assuming that nothing will go wrong ever, which plenty seem to be suggesting.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 03-16-14 at 09:07 AM.
    03-16-14 08:21 AM
186 ... 34567 ...