this thread is just a bunch of people making noise about a topic that will soon be restarted somewhere so that noise can be made about it also....and then we can like or thank our kindred spirits' posts....did i leave anything out? or maybe there is reason to this thread...I dunno--cant see it
    03-14-14 12:11 AM
    Troy, you and Pantless Penguin are interjecting reason and evidence of other platforms being useful and good. You two know that is not accepted here. All other platforms are time-wasting, non-productive, evil platforms that turn their users from humans to mindless sheep. Only BlackBerry can be good - all others are poison.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming.
    You sir, are hilarious!

Sent using Tapatalk
    03-14-14 12:17 AM
    Actually, that's not it. When you search for the Corvette ZR-1, Google is going to keep that in it's profile on you, and it's going to cross reference that information with all the other things you've searched for.
    Right, of course. And that's the point: to show me ads that are relevant to ME. I don't care if Google knows all that stuff about me, and uses it to show me better ads. That's better than showing me ads that I don't care about. I'm going to see ads (or, mostly, links to ads) either way.

I fully understand how it works, and I'm fine with it. Most people are. Again, it's not like Ford or Honda or Playboy is getting my info from Google. It's not like those companies can track me down and fill my mailbox (or email box) because of what Google knows about me. They aren't calling my home, or any of that. They are making ads helpful instead of annoying (imagine that!). And the people running the ads get a better return on their money. Everyone wins.

Now, if Google was a bad steward of my data, THEN we'd have a problem. But they aren't. Yes, the NSA managed to get inside Google's firewall and steal a bunch of information. So now what: Google is going to be the first company that will keep my data fully encrypted while stored - other services did the same thing Google did, which was that, once inside Google's network, the data was unencrypted - all the security was "at the outer gate" and stripped off once it got inside. Very soon, that won't be the case anymore. Google takes data security VERY seriously, and has some of the best cryptographers in the world working on this problem.

Otherwise, I'm not shocked or surprised to know that Google uses my data to improve the ads I see. I've understood that for more than a decade, and I'm fine with it. Again, most people are, because Google isn't doing bad things with that data, like letting people have access to the raw data.

If you have a problem with it, then fine, don't use Google services. That's no skin off my back. But for those of us who choose to use Google, and understand the deal we are making, Google's services are very powerful and provide very real, beneficial services that no one else can compete with. It is the future of computing, today.
    03-14-14 12:23 AM
    Google is a boggie man. I love how people assume Google is always up to no good. Kind of how some people assume BlackBerry sucks or That BlackBerry went out of business. Blackberry doesn't such and Google isn't the boogie man.
    03-14-14 01:08 AM
    Paragraphs, ain't nobody got time fo' dat'
    I do. I hope your readers do too others most answers are pretty blah.
    03-14-14 01:13 AM
    Ignorance is bliss.

Posted via CB10
    This can be interpreted either way.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-14-14 01:19 AM
    The reason I left Android and came back to BlackBerry. Note 2 is gathering dust since I've gotten the Q10. Not looking back and no regrets either. The data collection and permissions on Android are disgusting imo. If you cut permissions on an Android, good chance the app won't start anymore.

CB10 - Q10
    App permissions are only chosen by the app developers. It has nothing to do with Android. If that app is cross platform they'll want the same permissions. Face it. The most popular apps now you want them so they want access to everything and if you want that app you'll give it to them. Those apps your running from Android on 10.2 want the same permission on your phone as on Android.
    Last edited by Nicholas Kathrein; 03-14-14 at 01:51 AM.
    03-14-14 01:30 AM
    I'm not getting any mails, and no companies are getting my personal info. That's what you don't seem to get. Even if I search for "2014 Corvette ZR-1", neither General Motors, my local Chevy dealer, or GMAC financing (much less anyone else) gets my name, address, phone number, email, or any of that from Google. If they did, then, yes, I'm sure I'd be flooded with offers.

Instead, GM may "buy" those search terms at Google, so that when I do a search for "2014 Corvette ZR-1", the first sponsored link I see is the GM website for the Corvette ZR-1. Maybe my local dealer also "bought" those search terms at the local level, so the second sponsored link is my local Chevy dealer. Those links show up at the top of my Google search results. THAT'S IT.

If I never click on those sponsored links, then I'm never going to see any "ads" that might be on the website. Whether I do so is completely up to me.

What you may not understand is that you are going to see sponsored links in your web browser no matter what - that's how web search companies make money. Google collects information so that those links, which will be there no matter what, are relevant to my interests. On other search engines that no nothing about me, I may get a link for tampons, or AARP memberships, or stuff for children, none of which I have any interest in. With Google, I get ads for things I actually am interested in. It's still up to me to click those links or not - Google isn't forcing me to do anything, but by targeting me with ads I care about, I'm more likely to click them than if they are things that I have no interest in.

You can demonize that all you like, but people who understand what's going on aren't going to be fooled. Google is NOT the NSA, nor are they the NSA-equivalent that exists in 50 other countries around the world. I'm aware of the data I give to Google, and I give it willingly, because in return, Google gives me things of value. Google's apps and services have value to me, and to a whole lot of people. Why do you think so many BB users are upset that they aren't getting Google Services Framework and Google Play access on their BBs?

If you don't think BB is collecting your data, you are fooling yourself. It may not be as much as Google does, but then, BB isn't providing you with a wide array of "free" services in return either. But, if you use third-party cloud services (maps, Dropbox/Box, Outlook, etc.), then THOSE companies are all collecting your data too. At least with Google, I can live on just Google services and keep my data contained to a single company. They've also proven over the years to be good stewards of my data - far better than many other big companies have been.
    Right...Google is out for the good of society...maybe when you buy apps, you should get a tax receipt for donating to charity... :-D
    Hook, line and sinker...
    Btw, nothing is "free" in this world.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zeeten; 03-14-14 at 01:46 AM.
    03-14-14 01:31 AM
    Is it safe to say that if you pay for an app then you also pay for the privilege to not have targeted ads? Or your preferences /history/locations etc. scraped from your phone?

Many people use the argument that the app is free so don't complain when you have to give up permissions. It's a way for the developer or Google or someone to generate revenue.
    Paid apps should allow the user to deselect certain permissions.

I doubt google would ever allow that.

Posted via CB10
    You doubt... This is a business model. It pays for the software. How's ad free software working for BlackBerry? Google model let's them invest in tons of other projects. Driverless cars and robotics. Look around. Free ad supported works. More people have access to better products with this model.
    TgeekB and mornhavon like this.
    03-14-14 01:44 AM
    Right, of course. And that's the point: to show me ads that are relevant to ME. I don't care if Google knows all that stuff about me, and uses it to show me better ads. That's better than showing me ads that I don't care about. I'm going to see ads (or, mostly, links to ads) either way.

I fully understand how it works, and I'm fine with it. Most people are. Again, it's not like Ford or Honda or Playboy is getting my info from Google. It's not like those companies can track me down and fill my mailbox (or email box) because of what Google knows about me. They aren't calling my home, or any of that. They are making ads helpful instead of annoying (imagine that!). And the people running the ads get a better return on their money. Everyone wins.

Now, if Google was a bad steward of my data, THEN we'd have a problem. But they aren't. Yes, the NSA managed to get inside Google's firewall and steal a bunch of information. So now what: Google is going to be the first company that will keep my data fully encrypted while stored - other services did the same thing Google did, which was that, once inside Google's network, the data was unencrypted - all the security was "at the outer gate" and stripped off once it got inside. Very soon, that won't be the case anymore. Google takes data security VERY seriously, and has some of the best cryptographers in the world working on this problem.

Otherwise, I'm not shocked or surprised to know that Google uses my data to improve the ads I see. I've understood that for more than a decade, and I'm fine with it. Again, most people are, because Google isn't doing bad things with that data, like letting people have access to the raw data.

If you have a problem with it, then fine, don't use Google services. That's no skin off my back. But for those of us who choose to use Google, and understand the deal we are making, Google's services are very powerful and provide very real, beneficial services that no one else can compete with. It is the future of computing, today.
    Right...Google is out for the good of society...maybe when you buy apps, you should get a tax receipt for donating to charity... :-D
    Hook, line and sinker...
    Btw, nothing is "free" in this world.

Posted via CB10
    Right. You get ads. We agree.
    03-14-14 01:52 AM
    i agree with you in many ways. its about how much cash you can put on the table. Iphone and samsung both put huge dollars through the US financial system. In order to compete you have to do this too. If you have the unlimited bank account likethe leaders you can afford to do this. If you dont you wont. Just look at these other guys trying to get their foot in. Sony, HTC and even windows phone dont cut it. Have they even made a dent. No and they have spent millions trying. In fact they are losing ground. The only way blackberry makes any dent is through corporate. They already have a footing they know people have used them before in the business world so its not like starting with nothing. They also have control even if people switch phones because they still need an mdm solution. BES is the strength. The reason that people are down on BB is unfortunately because they didnt keep pace. The lost out and for them to get back in the eye of the consumer you would have to spend millions to do that. Too many carriers to many battles that are just to tough to win back. They are using a different approach. Going to markets where they have a stronghold. Going to foreign markets that havent been tapped. Delivering corporate solutions. You wont see blackberry at the local shops as much or in the carriers showrooms. It just does so little for the brand. they need to build up a base the only way to do that is through corporate. Thats the plan at least cant say for sure its working but its a much better strategy then trying to win over the us retail market in smartphones. Thats pretty much a dead end. Lets hope they do get some wins with the new strategy things can change in a hurry just look at the lead apple had in the market and then they got swallowed by samsung. Even blackberry knows how quickly things can change you have to innovate constantly or get left behind. So yes blackberry is down but they definitely are not out like most people seem to believe. The OS is taking shape. Products are getting much better. the z30 is a success it might be a small success but a success none the less. Now they need to convert all those OS7 users over then the game will be on.
    febo2175 likes this.
    03-14-14 03:30 AM
    I wasnt doing another 2 yr contract with that RED company. They got way to much money from me over the past 4 years and the wanted top dollar for the Z30. Amazon and Ebay still had the Z30 at 500 to 600 at that time. It just made better sense to make the carrier jump and get the Nexus.
    03-14-14 09:50 AM
    I have said before and I will say it again, I will never ever buy a Nexus product again. The hardware is cheap, cheap, cheap. Then you throw in the android platform and the whole thing jitters and crashes. Just watch, it starts about six weeks after purchase. What a pile of junk.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 10:13 AM
    You doubt... This is a business model. It pays for the software. How's ad free software working for BlackBerry? Google model let's them invest in tons of other projects. Driverless cars and robotics. Look around. Free ad supported works. More people have access to better products with this model.
    What better products that I use in my everyday life is a direct result of Google ads or Android OS ripping through my phone and taking everything right down to my key presses? Last I checked I don't have a robot butler and a driverless car. And I don't think I will be getting one anytime soon.

If invasion of my privacy and everyone else's developed a quantum computer for the home, I would seriously consider it.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by byex; 03-14-14 at 10:28 AM.
    03-14-14 10:14 AM

You can demonize that all you like, but people who understand what's going on aren't going to be fooled. Google is NOT the NSA, nor are they the NSA-equivalent that exists in 50 other countries around the world..... Google services and keep my data contained to a single company. They've also proven over the years to be good stewards of my data - far better than many other big companies have been.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/23/nsa-prism-costs-tech-companies-paid

Apple and Google engineer backdoors into their software. Wake up already.
    Last edited by Xenolock; 03-14-14 at 12:51 PM. Reason: adding a link
    SmileDahling likes this.
    03-14-14 10:29 AM
    I have said before and I will say it again, I will never ever buy a Nexus product again. The hardware is cheap, cheap, cheap. Then you throw in the android platform and the whole thing jitters and crashes. Just watch, it starts about six weeks after purchase. What a pile of junk.

Posted via CB10
    I've had mine for months. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    mornhavon likes this.
    03-14-14 10:45 AM
    What better products that I use in my everyday life is a direct result of Google ads or Android OS ripping through my phone and taking everything right down to my key presses? Last I checked I don't have a robot butler and a driverless car. And I don't think I will be getting one anytime soon.

If invasion of my privacy and everyone else's developed a quantum computer for the home, I would seriously consider it.
    Posted via CB10
    Look, this is a matter of choice. Blackberry and Nexus are both great choices for different people. No need to attack other brands to make your choice seem better.

mornhavon likes this.
    03-14-14 10:47 AM
    I've had mine for months. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Yeah, I've had my N5 since the first week. Absolutely no issues at all, software or hardware.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    mornhavon likes this.
    03-14-14 10:48 AM
    WOW, Big Brother, tell me what I should do next. NO THANKS. I make my own decissions, after all I deceided to use Blackberry.
    I take it you DECIDED not to use the spell check. jk
    03-14-14 11:10 AM
    Something else I just thought of:

Hundreds of thousands of people willingly post their location, photos, educational background, ethnicity, income, alcohol/drug habits, hobbies, fears, favorite foods/music/movies, etc onto dating websites, including many free ones. They have to get paid somehow...I wonder what *they* are doing with my info. They promised the woman of my dreams and are giving me nada. At least Google gives me stuff . Actually...maybe I should leave Crackberry once in awhile, lol.
    03-14-14 11:23 AM
    I'm looking up a band on YouTube. I check my Google Now content, and it shows me that there's a concert for that band playing in town this weekend. It showed me that result because my search on YouTube indicated I was interested in this band, and my current location showed I was closeby to their concert venue. I click the concert listing on Google Now and it gives me options for purchasing tickets. What DOESN'T happen is getting bombarded with unsolicited phone calls from the ticket agencies saying "Hey, Google told us you like this band! Did you know they're playing in your area this weekend? Buy tickets from us!"
    ...until Google buys Ticketmaster. That's the problem: it's benign until it isn't, but by then you're in so deep you can't get out. I'd rather not go in.

I admit that I'm resigned to this to a certain extent... but a lesser extent than other people... and there are plenty of horror stories of people who have overshared and regret it. I think a lot of people are oversharing and they don't regret it yet, and perhaps it's just playing the odds whether or not someone will be the next ID theft victim because of it. Huge companies all over the world are suffering data breaches... why is Google "immune" to this? Because they're smarter than Target, or whatever consultancy Target hired to set up their ERP systems?

I think it's gone overboard, that's all. Buying into Google "too much" is a disaster waiting to happen, and when it happens, it's not going to be a small thing.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    03-14-14 01:37 PM
    " There is no big brother" why is Snowden hiding out? He needed a vacation???
    Probably because he broke the law and instead of owning up to it (even though he has such great morals and convictions) he's running from the sentence he knew he would incur.

It's easy to take a stand when you are out of reach of the consequences.

*This is in no way a judgement on the actual value of his information leaks and their moral right/wrongness as it pertains to the greater good.*
    03-14-14 01:52 PM
    It's easy to take a stand when you are out of reach of the consequences.
    You don't think the life Snowdon is living right now is "easy" do you? He has endangered himself quite a bit and either one thinks he is evil and treasonous and cowardly evading prosecution for trying to harm his country, or he is a hero who sees his country going down the wrong path vis a vis civil liberties and he's sacrificed a lot doing what he's done... but none of it is "easy".

I'd say it's relatively easy though: if he was an Iranian or Syrian or Russian or Chinese citizen who leaked state secrets, all of his family would likely be in prison or worse right now. As an American, the justice system doesn't go round up his family and friends and imprison them or torture them as some kind of deterrent against future acts by others... so there's that, I guess.
    03-14-14 02:28 PM
    Interesting perspective, OP. Feel free to exchange your phone for the Z30 when it becomes financially feasible for you. The Z30 truly rocks.
    03-14-14 02:34 PM
    Very interesting thread.

The one thought that came to mind while reading these posts involves apps. How many app developers are unwilling to create for BB10 if the permissions can be turned off? If you are a developer relying upon generating income from tracking your users, BB10 could limit your possibilities.

I had never thought about this aspect before, and can't remember reading about it on CB.
    kbz1960 and SmileDahling like this.
    03-14-14 02:47 PM
186 12345 ...