So in January I dropped my carrier (big red) and went shopping...I wanted to upgrade from my bold 9930 and from all my research I only liked two options Z30 and the Nexus 5. Cost wise it was a no brainer, emotionally it was hard to leave BB. I bought the Nexus out right and went to Tmobile....I can say that being on this phone for 2 months now that I see why BB can't make any head way in the US. The driod and apple experience is all about making money and collecting your data. If I download one more app that wants me to pay for something I am going to scream. If my phone ask me one more time to collect my location and data I am just going to scream louder. I have come to realize that as a BB user I dont expect apps to collect data unless I say so. I dont expect my info to be distributed to the highest bidder. So really it is the BB consumer that hurts BB. We dont like to have to pay monthly fees for an app, or to give our data over to and app. We expect a great product and privacy. If you get an andriod or apple you dont have a choice, you are a data and cash cow. MY Bold was great! a two year old phone that did everything I needed it to do. The other phone users can say that they have no problems with thier phones...BS. MY andriod updates an app every other day, so much I dont even that the app has been updated. The battery usage sucks compared to BB. I hate my FB app on here. My twitter app still freezes like on BB. BB products are great, dont believe that they are subpar! I tell people that I miss my BB all the time. The issue in the states is about data and cash, not the BB product. BB will only make head way in the states if they start selling data or pushing apps that want you to open your wallet. We as a BB community have to realize this. The BB phones have not conform to the US market, and we like that in a way. So dont blame BB they are doing what we ask them to do. I still use my playbook and to be truthful it's still up to par with most other tablets.
    03-13-14 11:51 AM
    Extremely true I hated that part of Android. Little to no privacy. I see how it would be hard to get popular apps, BlackBerry wants to be too secure to let those apps just access data whenever, and MAKE you purchase things unknowingly or too easily

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 11:58 AM
    I don't link my Google email to my z10 because of the leach like attachment Google has to everything I do on MY phone.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn, rob65r and febo2175 like this.
    03-13-14 12:03 PM
    So in January I dropped my carrier (big red) and went shopping...I wanted to upgrade from my bold 9930 and from all my research I only liked two options Z30 and the Nexus 5. Cost wise it was a no brainer, emotionally it was hard to leave BB. I bought the Nexus out right and went to Tmobile....I can say that being on this phone for 2 months now that I see why BB can't make any head way in the US. The driod and apple experience is all about making money and collecting your data. If I download one more app that wants me to pay for something I am going to scream. If my phone ask me one more time to collect my location and data I am just going to scream louder. I have come to realize that as a BB user I dont expect apps to collect data unless I say so. I dont expect my info to be distributed to the highest bidder. So really it is the BB consumer that hurts BB. We dont like to have to pay monthly fees for an app, or to give our data over to and app. We expect a great product and privacy. If you get an andriod or apple you dont have a choice, you are a data and cash cow. MY Bold was great! a two year old phone that did everything I needed it to do. The other phone users can say that they have no problems with thier phones...BS. MY andriod updates an app every other day, so much I dont even that the app has been updated. The battery usage sucks compared to BB. I hate my FB app on here. My twitter app still freezes like on BB. BB products are great, dont believe that they are subpar! I tell people that I miss my BB all the time. The issue in the states is about data and cash, not the BB product. BB will only make head way in the states if they start selling data or pushing apps that want you to open your wallet. We as a BB community have to realize this. The BB phones have not conform to the US market, and we like that in a way. So dont blame BB they are doing what we ask them to do. I still use my playbook and to be truthful it's still up to par with most other tablets.
    Just to be clear, "Android" and "Droid" are not interchangeable. "Droid" refers only to a specific set of devices available only on Verizon, while Android devices are available basically everywhere.

Also, I'm not clear on how owning the Nexus 5 informs you on the Apple experience, kind of like how owning an iPhone wouldn't inform you on what it's like to own a Nexus device. The experiences of Apple and Nexus devices are broadly similar, but only broadly; they actually reflect very different philospohies.

Your post also makes another point. You liked your 9930 and considered a BBRY device when you switched carriers, yet you ultimately chose to switch platforms. This is one of BBRY's biggest issues. . . users which are happy with their current BBRY device, but when they have to buy a new device they get something different. It's this tendency that T-Mobile took advantage of with their recent promotion.
    web99, 21stNow, pankaler and 12 others like this.
    03-13-14 12:22 PM
    WHY does everyone assume there's malicious intent to Google wanting location and other data???? Consider this scenario:

I'm looking up a band on YouTube. I check my Google Now content, and it shows me that there's a concert for that band playing in town this weekend. It showed me that result because my search on YouTube indicated I was interested in this band, and my current location showed I was closeby to their concert venue. I click the concert listing on Google Now and it gives me options for purchasing tickets. What DOESN'T happen is getting bombarded with unsolicited phone calls from the ticket agencies saying "Hey, Google told us you like this band! Did you know they're playing in your area this weekend? Buy tickets from us!" You see the suggestion in Google Now, you decide if the concert is something you're interested, and if you are you can either buy tickets or swipe the suggestion away and not be alerted to it again.

Google Now also gives me real-time traffic alerts. I have it set to give me traffic alerts for work, home, the gym, and my brother and SIL's house. If you are a creature of habit and leave work at the same time every day, go to the gym right after work, and go home after 2 hours at the gym, you'll get alerts in your status bar about the traffic to each destination. If you put a location in a calendar entry, you'll get an alert about 20 minutes before the time you need to leave to get there on time based on traffic.

THESE FEATURES ARE DESIGNED TO HELP. Is it kind of creepy the first time GN predicted when I was about to leave for work? Sure. But the feature is a big help.

OP, you say you'll scream if you download one more app that wants you to pay for something? Hint...just don't download the app! Are you downloading games with in-app purchases or something? I'm sure you'll live without those. None of my apps require me to purchase anything unless it's for something I already subscribe to, like Netflix. Oh I just thought of once where I can purchase something - my OK Cupid app has an option to "promote" my profile by putting my profile to the front of the suggestion list for each person I match with for 15 minutes if I pay a dollar. It's never crossed my mind to be upset at this...I just don't do it.

My philosophy on apps from the Play Store is to only download apps that have the Editor's Choice and Top Developer distinctions. You'll see them on the app description page. The ONLY exception to this rule is that I download apps from my local news station, some restaurants, etc that may not have the Editor's Choice and Top Developer distinctions but they're from companies I trust.

Battery on the Nexus 5 is subpar compared to other high-end Android devices. The Nexus line typically has lower batteries, cameras, and other things to help keep the price lower than other flagships.

There are dozens of Twitter apps out there. Try one that doesn't freeze. I like Plume and TweetCaster. There are other FB apps as well but I don't have much experience with those.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't and you're still unhappy, try searching the CB marketplace to see if anyone would trade a Z10 or Q10 for your Nexus 5.
    03-13-14 01:20 PM

Battery on the Nexus 5 is subpar compared to other high-end Android devices. The Nexus line typically has lower batteries, cameras, and other things to help keep the price lower than other flagships.
    I can live with that given my Nexus 5 was half the price of those flagships!
    03-13-14 01:28 PM
    I can live with that given my Nexus 5 was half the price of those flagships!
    Yep! Tons of people do. It's just a choice you have to make. My G2 has amazing battery life, but it was also $200 more than a Nexus.
    03-13-14 01:31 PM
    Is the App Ops app still available to use?

If so get that, switch off all the stuff you don't want it collecting and be happy in the knowledge. But all apps want data. The bbm app for android wants literally everything on my phone available. I could ask why does blackberry need all that data? Up until recently they wanted my contacts list, which up until a recent update, there was no need for it since it was pin entry.

Edit: Just checking the app permissions now and apparently bbm was reading my contacts list 26 minutes ago. I've not used bbm once today.
    pankaler likes this.
    03-13-14 01:55 PM
    I understand exactly what your saying. I freaked out when the phone figured that every Tuesday and Thursday I go to the gym and not straight home. I am not saying that google or any app is up to no good with all the data it collects, I am saying that because they do...the carriers push the platforms and phones so much harder.
    03-13-14 02:00 PM
    Interesting post and point of view.... The only issue I would have with the post is the US centric view that BB has to do anything in the US consumer market.... That ship has sailed for a number of reasons touched on in numerous threads... back PR... bad Carrier support.... broken promises etc and of course the market is cornered by Apple and Android... you may very well see a full pull out of the US consumer market with enterprise customers in the states as customers... in many parts of the world BB still have a good rep and that is where BB should be putting their energies.... As much as Americans do not like it... the consumer world does not revolve around them anymore... the best example is Hollywood movies.. 5 years ago it would be unheard of the premiere a movie out side the US... now it is common practice... by the time the Avengers debuted in the US it had already make a "large profit" in the overseas market and the US market was gravy... this is not to say the US market is not important... just not to everyone..... glad you enjoying you Nexus... great smartphone choice...
    03-13-14 02:09 PM
    I am sorry if I offend you by saying droid or Driod in reference to andriod. As far as my experience with an iphone (Iphone) I played with my sister's for weeks. So the experience was short but I felt the majority of it was similar to the andriod experience. Actually it was less friendly and I typically dont like to follow the choices of the masses. BUT my point was that apple through it's Iphone likes to collect data and use it for it's profit.
    03-13-14 02:09 PM
    Don't worry later on your wife can check when do you have sex with other ppl using her super android device which connect to yours #goodthing

Posted via CB10
    febo2175 likes this.
    03-13-14 02:11 PM
    I understand exactly what your saying. I freaked out when the phone figured that every Tuesday and Thursday I go to the gym and not straight home. I am not saying that google or any app is up to no good with all the data it collects, I am saying that because they do...the carriers push the platforms and phones so much harder.
    I really don't think one has to do with the other. There are many reasons such as the other companies spending more on marketing than BB, people seeing their friends with these newfangled gadgets and decide they need them too, general hype, etc. I honestly think that if BB had done more to generate more hype (advertising, promotions, etc) the BB10 phones would've done a lot better. As it was, they were released on the carriers, very few commercials came out and none that I saw really drove home that this was an ENTIRELY NEW OS, few sales were made, and carriers eventually pushed them to the side in favor of the devices that people were actually coming in and asking about. I remember when the og Motorola Droid came out there was a huge setup at the entrance to my local mall where people can use the device and sign up for giveaways. There were reps there available to answer questions about the device. I saw something similar but on a smaller scale by the Sprint kiosk when the HTC Evo came out. I would have LOVED if BB had done something like this in malls, shopping centers, and other high foot traffic areas. I just got the impression that BlackBerry execs were counting on brand recognition to sell the devices and that people would be lining up to buy a new and improved BlackBerry so they didn't think they actually had to TRY to sell the devices.

Anyway, I'm rambling. My point is that I really don't think the fact that Google and Apple use data and location services has anything to do with their popularity. Heck, BlackBerry uses location services as well. Any device has to in order to use anything that's location related. Some might think that only has to do with GPS navigation, but there are other apps that require this as well like Foursquare and checking into places on Facebook.
    03-13-14 02:30 PM
    WHY does everyone assume there's malicious intent to Google wanting location and other data???? Consider this scenario:

I'm looking up a band on YouTube. I check my Google Now content, and it shows me that there's a concert for that band playing in town this weekend. It showed me that result because my search on YouTube indicated I was interested in this band, and my current location showed I was closeby to their concert venue. I click the concert listing on Google Now and it gives me options for purchasing tickets. What DOESN'T happen is getting bombarded with unsolicited phone calls from the ticket agencies saying "Hey, Google told us you like this band! Did you know they're playing in your area this weekend? Buy tickets from us!" You see the suggestion in Google Now, you decide if the concert is something you're interested, and if you are you can either buy tickets or swipe the suggestion away and not be alerted to it again.
    If you wanted to go see a favorite band in concert wouldn't you just be inclined to look up their tour dates on their website?
    03-13-14 03:04 PM
    If you wanted to go see a favorite band in concert wouldn't you just be inclined to look up their tour dates on their website?
    Maybe, but what if it isn't your FAVORITE band? What if you forgot? What if shows got rescheduled and one was added near you?

The point of Google Now is for Google to keep track of those things for you, so you don't have to. And Now only notifies you when that info becomes relevant.

Say you were searching for a movie 3 months ago, and watched the trailer for a movie. 3 months later, when it's come out, maybe you've forgotten you liked the trailer and wanted to see the movie, but Google will figure out that the movie was released, and you're within a few miles of a theater that's showing it, and will pop up a notification. Don't care about the movie anymore? Just swipe away the notification and go on with your life. But maybe you say "oh, YEAH, I really want to see this show!" You can click a link and buy your tickets right there if you like.

And for people who travel, Now is amazing. If your booking confirmation emails were sent to your Google email account, Now can automatically show you pieces of information as you need them, based on the time and your location. If your plane is delayed, or the gate is changed, you get a notification, and even a map of the airport with walking directions to the new gate if you want. For many airlines, Now will be your electronic boarding pass, automatically. When you arrive, it can show you your rental car reservation (and a map to get there, by foot or by transit). Arrive at your hotel? Your reservation information pops up.

None of this required you to create any calendar appointments, add in any reminders, or any of that. It JUST HAPPENS, because Google was able to scan your confirmation email, understand it, and turn it into live, usable data for you.

Of course, all of this can be disabled if you choose, but all of this stuff creates real value for a lot of people, and that's only going to continue to increase.

So many people talk about "BB/QNX is going to power the Internet Of Things". What do you think this is? And why do you imagine more "things" will be put on the Internet? It's so they can collect data, and so that data can allow useful things, not just for Google/Apple/Microsoft, but, you know, for YOU, the end-user.

You can't have it both ways: complete privacy, but with the rich, automated, time-and-location-relevant services that are the future (and to a large degree the current status) of the economy. Most people, having tried it both ways, will see the value that something like Google Now brings, and it's continuing to evolve and add features and functions. Ironically, many people were fine for years as companies collected their data, but now, once that data can actually be made to do useful things for the user, making the data collection more visible, now they are freaking out.
    03-13-14 03:34 PM
    Paragraphs, ain't nobody got time fo' dat'
    03-13-14 03:40 PM

Google Now also gives me real-time traffic alerts. I have it set to give me traffic alerts for work, home, the gym, and my brother and SIL's house. If you are a creature of habit and leave work at the same time every day, go to the gym right after work, and go home after 2 hours at the gym, you'll get alerts in your status bar about the traffic to each destination. If you put a location in a calendar entry, you'll get an alert about 20 minutes before the time you need to leave to get there on time based on traffic.

THESE FEATURES ARE DESIGNED TO HELP. Is it kind of creepy the first time GN predicted when I was about to leave for work? Sure. But the feature is a big help.

OP, you say you'll scream if you download one more app that wants you to pay for something? Hint...just don't download the app! Are you downloading games with in-app purchases or something? I'm sure you'll live without those. None of my apps require me to purchase anything unless it's for something I already subscribe to, like Netflix. Oh I just thought of once where I can purchase something - my OK Cupid app has an option to "promote" my profile by putting my profile to the front of the suggestion list for each person I match with for 15 minutes if I pay a dollar. It's never crossed my mind to be upset at this...I just don't do it.

My philosophy on apps from the Play Store is to only download apps that have the Editor's Choice and Top Developer distinctions. You'll see them on the app description page. The ONLY exception to this rule is that I download apps from my local news station, some restaurants, etc that may not have the Editor's Choice and Top Developer distinctions but they're from companies I trust.

There are dozens of Twitter apps out there. Try one that doesn't freeze. I like Plume and TweetCaster. There are other FB apps as well but I don't have much experience with those.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't and you're still unhappy, try searching the CB marketplace to see if anyone would trade a Z10 or Q10 for your Nexus 5.
    You are a breath of fresh air! You stated the truth so eloquently. These things are designed to make our lives easier and, if used intelligently, do little to no harm. Exaggerating does nothing to hurt Apple and Google but some people still don't get it.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-13-14 03:40 PM
    My buddy mentioned once that when he has his GPS turned off on his Android while he's hanging out with me, his battery lasts way longer. I'm like, well, the GPS shouldn't do anything unless the phone is trying to find it's location. "Oh, yeah, it always knows where I am." Sorry but that's a little creepy to me.

It's not that hard to type "troy, ny" when searching for something and have these guys mind their own business.
    03-13-14 04:02 PM
    My buddy mentioned once that when he has his GPS turned off on his Android while he's hanging out with me, his battery lasts way longer. I'm like, well, the GPS shouldn't do anything unless the phone is trying to find it's location. "Oh, yeah, it always knows where I am." Sorry but that's a little creepy to me.

It's not that hard to type "troy, ny" when searching for something and have these guys mind their own business.
    Um, BlackBerry does the same thing? I had to turn the location services off on my Z10 to get relatively decent battery life.
    03-13-14 04:09 PM
    Is the App Ops app still available to use?

If so get that, switch off all the stuff you don't want it collecting and be happy in the knowledge. But all apps want data. The bbm app for android wants literally everything on my phone available. I could ask why does blackberry need all that data? Up until recently they wanted my contacts list, which up until a recent update, there was no need for it since it was pin entry.

Edit: Just checking the app permissions now and apparently bbm was reading my contacts list 26 minutes ago. I've not used bbm once today.
    I guess that makes Blackberry evil right, that's what I get out of numerous threads on here
    richardat likes this.
    03-13-14 04:15 PM
    WOW, Big Brother, tell me what I should do next. NO THANKS. I make my own decissions, after all I deceided to use Blackberry.
    bob_tn likes this.
    03-13-14 04:45 PM
    Not once did anyone say it tells you what to do next.

How it's creepy from giving you suggestions from stuff you want to know about is beyond me? This place raves on about BB and it's ability to be productive and how it's faster than anything on the market. Surely something GN is exactly what people want by saving time and notifying people of stuff that they want to know about without even typing and some cases not needing to open the app. Productivity doesn't get much faster than it being automated for you
    03-13-14 05:32 PM
    I am sorry if I offend you by saying droid or Driod in reference to andriod. As far as my experience with an iphone (Iphone) I played with my sister's for weeks. So the experience was short but I felt the majority of it was similar to the andriod experience. Actually it was less friendly and I typically dont like to follow the choices of the masses. BUT my point was that apple through it's Iphone likes to collect data and use it for it's profit.
    LOL at "the masses."

Uncomfortable news flash: using BBRY device does not make you that unique. At 70 million, your are also member of your own "masses."

BTW, go read your BB10/BBM TOS.

Seriously... read it.
    03-13-14 05:33 PM
    WOW, Big Brother, tell me what I should do next. NO THANKS. I make my own decissions, after all I deceided to use Blackberry.
    There's no Big Brother, and no one is "telling you what to do." Rather, it's giving you information, right when you need it, so that you can have the information you need to make the best decisions.

If you put an appointment in your Calendar, and you get a notification, does that freak you out? Is your phone "telling you what to do?" This isn't any different, except that you had to do work to make that notification useful to you. With Google Now, Google does the work for you, so that you have more time to do the things you want to do.
    03-13-14 05:37 PM
    Ignorance is bliss.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 06:01 PM
186 123 ...