Google Voice with your existing number

Monday, October 26, 2009 | 9:00 PM

Google Voice is all about enabling choice: which phone you pick up your calls on, where to review your voicemail messages, how to send and reply to text messages, etc. So when it comes to your phone number, it was logical for us to also offer a choice of which number to use with Google Voice.

Previously, when you created a Google Voice account, we asked you to select a new Google phone number. This allowed us to offer features like call forwarding, screening, and recording. But we know not everyone wants to start using a new phone number, so we've been working on another option for people who are willing to trade some features for the ability to keep their existing number.

We're excited to announce that you now can get Google Voice with a Google number OR with your existing mobile phone number. If you choose to use Google Voice with your existing number, you won't get some features (like call screening and recording), but you'll still get many others -- including Google voicemail:
    10-27-09 08:01 AM
    Wow. This is what the FCC was complaining about. Now that it wants to be a phone service by allowing you to use your existing number, this now seems much more affordable, especially since it's free! But then again, I use YouMail, so having another voicemail service isn't needed for me right now as YouMail does everything I need it to do.
    Last edited by fabuloso; 10-27-09 at 08:30 AM.
    10-27-09 08:26 AM
    Can anyone tell me...is Google voice available to Canadians yet? also how about YouMail? gosh i'd love to try these two out...anyone know anything?
    10-27-09 10:49 AM
    Has anyone tried the existing number and googles vm? Does it transcribe the messages as well?
    Yes, it does transcribe.
    10-27-09 11:02 AM
    yay! i was leary about letting gv take over my vm lol.... thanks for the reply!!
    You're welcome.
    10-27-09 11:27 AM
    How do you change your google voice number to your mobile number? All I can find is buying a different number...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 12:07 PM
    Wow. This is what the FCC was complaining about. Now that it wants to be a phone service by allowing you to use your existing number, this now seems much more affordable, especially since it's free! But then again, I use YouMail, so having another voicemail service isn't needed for me right now as YouMail does everything I need it to do.
    the FCC is not complaining about it, its AT&T that is complaining about it and the FCC has to investagate all complaints. The complaints is not about that, its about how GoogleVoice can block certain numbers from being dialed. ex. 970, 1-900, etc. numbers that phone companies make a killing off of charging per min. Googles response was that they had to block certain numbers to keep the service free.
    10-27-09 12:12 PM
    @BELOVED28 thank you. I started to do that but thought I was just forwarding my mobile calls to my google voice number again. Which was pointless and why I wasn't using google voice until I saw this thread. Google is a pretty awesome company to have services like this for free! I may have to try their Chrome browser out.

10-27-09 12:31 PM
    anyone using the new version of the google voice app? I just downloaded but i dont know the difference yet... I wish the sms feed was faster.
    10-27-09 05:02 PM
    Google should just buy a crap phone company (like tmobile) and change it into Google Phone or something. They are single handedly taking over EVERYTHING!!

But they'll never get my BBM!! >
    10-27-09 06:45 PM
    I use GV because I'd like to keep my cell phone number private even though my clients and colleagues call 7 days a week and (if needed) at any time. If I ever switch phones, I have no worries.

GV also allows me to use my phone in places outside the U.S. that track you by your phone (several).
    10-27-09 07:19 PM
    Google should just buy a crap phone company (like tmobile)
    LOL.

Google couldn't afford T-Mobile. T-Mobile is the 6th largest mobile company on the planet. Verizon is the 14th. AT&T is the 17th. Sprint is so small they aren't even in the top 20.

Google could afford to buy Sprint. Sprint's debt load could choke a horse. It's questionable whether they have the staying power to hang in there over the long haul. They tried to get T-Mobile interested in buying them but T-Mobile took a pass.
    10-27-09 07:30 PM
    google voice is awesome!
    I'm reviewing going with Google Voice for voicemail.

What do you like about it? Following your posts in this thread, it seems you like the transcription service. Not sure I care that much about that feature.

What else do you like about Google Voice?
    10-27-09 07:33 PM
    LOL.

Google couldn't afford T-Mobile. T-Mobile is the 6th largest mobile company on the planet. Verizon is the 14th. AT&T is the 17th. Sprint is so small they aren't even in the top 20.

Google could afford to buy Sprint. Sprint's debt load could choke a horse. It's questionable whether they have the staying power to hang in there over the long haul. They tried to get T-Mobile interested in buying them but T-Mobile took a pass.
    T-Mobile is bigger than Verizon and AT&T? Really?
    10-27-09 07:37 PM
    All around it is nice. Just like YouMail, you receive the message by email and can save/store it. You can also send/receive SMS using the Google Voice number (and that is stored too which many people wanted with other phones). I don't remember if you can tell YouMail to automatically reject calls based on the number or not, but you can with GV. Obviously you can assign individual outgoing messages to everyone you know....
    Google Voice
    10-27-09 07:42 PM
    I use GV, I love it. I would not want GV for my own number though, besides the voicemail transcription, what else is there?
    10-27-09 08:11 PM
    T-Mobile is bigger than Verizon and AT&T? Really?
    Globally absolutely. Much bigger.

In the USA only, Verizon is the largest carrier, AT&T comes in 2nd and Sprint and T-Mobile round things out.

Keep in mind that most of Verizon and AT&T's growth and size in the USA has been the result of swallowing up smaller companies in mergers.

But globally, T-Mobile is much larger than either Verizon or AT&T.
    10-27-09 08:15 PM
    Yes, GV is the best thing since sliced bread
    10-27-09 08:16 PM
    I use GV, I love it. I would not want GV for my own number though, besides the voicemail transcription, what else is there?
    Hmmm. Not sure I'd make a switch to GV for voicemail solely tied to transcription.

Still, Google is an absolutely amazing company. You always have to keep an eye on them.
    10-27-09 08:19 PM
    6th is size (number of subscribers) because they are used all over india, china & the netherlands

If u go by profits & net worth AT&T has profits & Verizon (as a company) has net worth

But I won't be using google voice for my actual phone number because my regular voicemail works fine. I use my GV number for business and random people that I meet but I'd love if there was some indicator ob the caller id to tell you if they are calling you mobile or GV number
    10-27-09 08:40 PM
    6th is size (number of subscribers) because they are used all over india, china & the netherlands

If u go by profits & net worth AT&T has profits & Verizon (as a company) has net worth
    LOL. T-Mobile doesn't have operations in China or India. Dude you are making this stuff up as you go and it shows. Please stop it.

T-Mobile is owned by Deutsche Telekom and Deutsche Telekom is the biggest telecom company in Europe.

Verizon and AT&T are much smaller than T-Mobile globally. End of topic.
    10-27-09 09:17 PM
    I use my GV number for business and random people that I meet but I'd love if there was some indicator ob the caller id to tell you if they are calling you mobile or GV number
    There is... with a catch. You can set it up so that when a call comes in to your GV number, your GV number displays as the caller ID. Not helpful if you are screening calls, but if you need to just place the call in a general category, it's fine.
    10-27-09 09:21 PM
    this is the best thing ever. I currently have 200 text a month and will be getting rid of my text completly since i get them through my BB email now FREE This is the ISH
    10-27-09 09:43 PM
    Now that I'm using GV for voicemail can I still check my Verizon voicemail somehow? I'm getting new voicemail messages popping up but they aren't through google and if I push 1 it calls my google voice number...

10-28-09 10:54 AM
    anyone using the new version of the google voice app? I just downloaded but i dont know the difference yet... I wish the sms feed was faster.
    The new version of the app has an refresh rate setting, you can set the interval to 5 mins. Might help..

Now that I'm using GV for voicemail can I still check my Verizon voicemail somehow? I'm getting new voicemail messages popping up but they aren't through google and if I push 1 it calls my google voice number...

I think you have to unforward the voicemail. *73. Then re-enable it after you're done check VZW messages.
    10-28-09 11:56 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD