Mike and Jim (well, Jim did, anyway) said the browser was fine, we don't need apps, and got ridiculed. It appears Google agrees with them; but then again Google started out on the web (as stated in the article) so it's only a logical progression regardless of Jim Balsillie's view.

RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie told attendees at today's Web 2.0 summit in San Francisco that smartphone and tablet users "don't need an app for the Web," since the most important aspect of any mobile device is the Internet experience it delivers to its users.
    "You don't need to go through some kind of control point," Balsillie explained. "That's the core part of our message…It is really not about a set of proprietary rules or about 'appifying' the Web. The Web needs a platform that allows you to use your existing Web content, not apps."
    [Google's] most important announcement was the evolution of a technology that’s nearly three years old. It laid out a course for making apps obsolete and getting users back onto the web, where Google is master. And that course is paved by Google Now.
    I think there's a good use case for good apps, I have quite a few that provide some extra functionality and use the browser for everything else. Google Now doesn't do much for me other than provide some interesting news articles and weather (so far). It hasn't yet made sugar or anything else magically appear in front of me.

Google’s Ingenious Plan to Make Apps Obsolete
    shahyaz likes this.
    05-30-15 09:11 PM
    Very easy to be ridiculed when you're ahead of your time and the fastest growing system makes its book on the production and promotion of apps. But part of what hampered going with straight Internet connectivity was the nascence of high-speed wireless data service. As speeds increase, it becomes more practical n to not require an app to do that.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-30-15 09:21 PM
    You also need to show that mobile devices are capable of having good 'real' browsers. Just a few years ago that wasn't exactly the case (at least not as undeniable as it is now)... and I'm pretty sure the people that laughed the hardest at Jim's statement were anyone that had experienced BlackBerry's 'super awesome' BBOS browser. lol
    05-30-15 09:29 PM
    Very easy to be ridiculed when you're ahead of your time and the fastest growing system makes its book on the production and promotion of apps. But part of what hampered going with straight Internet connectivity was the nascence of high-speed wireless data service. As speeds increase, it becomes more practical n to not require an app to do that.
    Truth. My credit union doesn't have an app, and accessing the site years ago, and with the aforementioned BBOS browser even on 7.1 was... not fun, to be nice about it. And on OS 4.3 with an 8130? There should be awards for levels of patience. Then, I wished and actually begged a couple times for an app; nowadays with LTE and the browsers on my Z10 and G3 it's no big deal. Plus, they made it a little more mobile friendly. Still no app though. My wife hates the Facebook app on her iPhone and has preferred the site since she was on 3g with her iPhone 4.

Conspiracy theory: John Chen realized Jim is right and is holding out until Google does the heavy lifting, then capitalizes on Google's plan and pushes through with his own plans for BlackBerry and IoT with public perception about apps changed.
    Anthony_2u likes this.
    05-30-15 10:23 PM
    Truth. My credit union doesn't have an app, and accessing the site years ago, and with the aforementioned BBOS browser even on 7.1 was... not fun, to be nice about it. And on OS 4.3 with an 8130? There should be awards for levels of patience. Then, I wished and actually begged a couple times for an app; nowadays with LTE and the browsers on my Z10 and G3 it's no big deal. Plus, they made it a little more mobile friendly. Still no app though. My wife hates the Facebook app on her iPhone and has preferred the site since she was on 3g with her iPhone 4.

Conspiracy theory: John Chen realized Jim is right and is holding out until Google does the heavy lifting, then capitalizes on Google's plan and pushes through with his own plans for BlackBerry and IoT with public perception about apps changed.
    I agree with your chenspiracy theory, there is some serious Chen Fu waiting to happen some time sooner or later... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    05-30-15 10:34 PM
    If Blackberry and Google can come up with a browser that can access the hardware aspect like cameras and speakers then there will be no need for apps. This could be huge and users will longer be locked into a single ecosystem.

A developer will no longer need to spend money on developing apps on multiple platforms. Apple would be in trouble because that's what their whole ecosystem is all about.

I can't wait for the day to arrive.

Posted via CB10
    andy n likes this.
    05-30-15 10:45 PM
    If Blackberry and Google can come up with a browser that can access the hardware aspect like cameras and speakers then there will be no need for apps. This could be huge and users will longer be locked into a single ecosystem.

A developer will no longer need to spend money on developing apps on multiple platforms. Apple would be in trouble because that's what their whole ecosystem is all about.

Posted via CB10
    Based on my interpretation I think it's likely they'll still need developers to make apps, as those will be the source for Google Now's information. Still, users could just as easily put that info in a browser field on various sites and have the same end result, especially if using Chrome.

Side note, looks like Apple's working on something similar.
    05-30-15 10:56 PM
    The world, a Google app(lication)... ?!

8-o

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    05-31-15 01:52 AM
    I clicked on your link that was linked through Google, but it was blocked because of China's firewall.

(insert ironic statement here)
    05-31-15 07:18 AM
    Google wants people back on the Web because that is where they can make the most off of them with their ad focused model. Apps can be made to access their services that don't push through the ads. Apps are not going anywhere. They are far more efficient on mobile devices that have varying screen sizes, computing power, etc. Even PC's and Macs run apps for office and email applications.

Posted via Z30
    sparkaction and jmr1015 like this.
    05-31-15 07:44 AM
    Google wants people back on the Web because that is where they can make the most off of them with their ad focused model.

Apps can be made to access their services that don't push through the ads.

Apps are not going anywhere. They are far more efficient on mobile devices that have varying screen sizes, computing power, etc. Even PC's and Macs run apps for office and email applications.

Posted via Z30
    It's even easier to install plug-ins that block ads on Web pages.

As far as apps versus Web pages, it's just a matter of time before something like HTML 6 or 7 provides all the device support required for a full app-like experience in a phone Web browser.

HTML 5 already supports things like the ability to create local storage on the user's PC or phone, access to location data, the ability to handle screens of almost any size (e.g.: so-called "responsive" Web pages), and go full screen.

The problem is that it takes ***forever*** for new HTML standards to be accepted and supported by all browsers (it took 8 years to define and standardize HTML 5!!).

In the meantime, everyone else is having fun with awesome native apps.

So while I'm certain Web apps will eventually replace native apps, BlackBerry simply doesn't have the time to wait until this happens.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-31-15 07:43 PM
    Let me tell you why Web apps will not be accepted for the time being.

Use any mobile friendly website. It doesn't give the native UX fluidity. Which ruins app experience.

Until we have the supported technologies in place for that, I don't see it happening.

How will Google Now help BlackBerry anyway? More information flowing through the Google ecosystem that BlackBerry doesn't have access to.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 07:51 PM

As far as apps versus Web pages, it's just a matter of time before something like HTML 6 or 7 provides all the device support required for a full app-like experience in a phone Web browser.

HTML 5 already supports things like the ability to create local storage on the user's PC or phone, access to location data, the ability to handle screens of almost any size (e.g.: so-called "responsive" Web pages), and go full screen.

The problem is that it takes ***forever*** for new HTML standards to be accepted and supported by all browsers (it took 8 years to define and standardize HTML 5!!).

So while I'm certain Web apps will eventually replace native apps, BlackBerry simply doesn't have the time to wait until this happens.

Posted via CB10
    Let me tell you why Web apps will not be accepted for the time being.

Use any mobile friendly website. It doesn't give the native UX fluidity. Which ruins app experience.

Until we have the supported technologies in place for that, I don't see it happening.

How will Google Now help BlackBerry anyway? More information flowing through the Google ecosystem that BlackBerry doesn't have access to.

Posted via CB10
    It's not web apps the Wired piece is taking about, it's one app - Google Now, which is reportedly presumed to gather info from apps that users install. Same with Proactive. My original thought was that I find it amusing that Jim basically said apps aren't necessary and was ridiculed, and now it seems Google and Apple are trying to prove him correct. Although in Apple's case it appears to me that Proactive will actively use iOS app info as opposed to Google's online user profile model gathered from apps and activity. So Apple would still need devs where Google will eventually need less and less. If I'm understanding their intent properly.
    05-31-15 10:28 PM
    Jim was wrong when he said it....

Doesn't matter if 10 years, or 50 years later his words come true. He was wrong in why he taught Apps were not important at that point in technology.

And if Apps are going to be Obsolete... somebody needs to let Chen know that, as BlackBerry the app is his big hope for the future.
    06-01-15 08:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    And BlackBerry will prevail in this because they have the most secure phone and os of all. People will then flock back to Berry. I'm wondering if this is what IOT (internet of things) is all about.

Posted Via CB10 on my  Z10
    06-01-15 08:47 AM
    I still don't buy the WEB can be the source of apps.

I just spent a week in the US' Desert Southwest. There were plenty of places without cell phone service never mind DATA. I was still able to use the mapping program where I had the offline maps. Similarly, I was able to use Peak Finder without access to data services.

Here's our next trip dialog:

"Oh, great, Bob (the friend I was with), neither of our cameras work since there's no data in the middle of Zion National Park!!!!!"

Then there's the fact that some folks are not as rich as others and canNOT afford unlimited data to support only web-based apps.

Well, at the moment, I'm still NOT ON BOARD.
    06-01-15 09:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not to mention sites with copious amounts of javascript (animations, effects, exc) tend to perform poorly on mobile devices. I could see this happening in 1-2 years but there's no real push to move apps to web apps. Having said that, the current trend is to embed web app pages within mobile apps without the user knowing, but typically, these pages are predominately content. There are a lot of things holding back apps from just becoming websites but there's no clear incentive for developers to advocate for it, especially when the app has already been coded in java/objective c. People tout "code once, deploy everywhere" but it never ends up that way. Supporting all major browsers for websites is a feat in itself.
    06-01-15 11:03 AM

Lol I'm kinda buying into this Conspiracy BB10 Browser is quite face it's ready we are ready.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 11:13 AM
    Mike and Jim (well, Jim did, anyway) said the browser was fine, we don't need apps, and got ridiculed. It appears Google agrees with them; but then again Google started out on the web (as stated in the article) so it's only a logical progression regardless of Jim Balsillie's view.

I think there's a good use case for good apps, I have quite a few that provide some extra functionality and use the browser for everything else. Google Now doesn't do much for me other than provide some interesting news articles and weather (so far). It hasn't yet made sugar or anything else magically appear in front of me.

Google’s Ingenious Plan to Make Apps Obsolete
    This is HTML 5 that they are talking about. Anything that an app can do, HTML 5 can do. There is even an HTML 5 demo of Angry Birds out there.

And yes, you can do things offline. So it is basically a way to do things via HTML 5 but in a platform independent manner.
    06-01-15 02:55 PM
    Jim was wrong when he said it....

Doesn't matter if 10 years, or 50 years later his words come true. He was wrong in why he taught Apps were not important at that point in technology.

And if Apps are going to be Obsolete... somebody needs to let Chen know that, as BlackBerry the app is his big hope for the future.
    That's true.
    06-01-15 03:07 PM
    The real conspiracy is getting everyone to use the Cloud for everything. They will completely do away with physical storage options, Apple already started it off. They want full access to everything we say, save, use, visit, both online and offline. This is nothing more than big brother control.

BBClassic10.3.2.2639-799Radio
    09-15-15 12:15 PM
    The real conspiracy is getting everyone to use the Cloud for everything. They will completely do away with physical storage options, Apple already started it off. They want full access to everything we say, save, use, visit, both online and offline. This is nothing more than big brother control.

There is no shortage of personal storage options. Drives of all types are cheaper than ever. The main reason individuals and organizations move to the cloud is usability and more robust backup. If you don't want your stuff read, private cloud storage is available. Take off your tin foil hat and you'll see that the migration to cloud storage is simple capitalism and innovation. No conspiracies required.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 12:56 PM

Apple started it off by... offering a 128GB phone that's encrypted by default? Huh?
    Cynycl and kbz1960 like this.
    09-15-15 01:01 PM
    There is no shortage of personal storage options. Drives of all types are cheaper than ever. The main reason individuals and organizations move to the cloud is usability and more robust backup. If you don't want your stuff read, private cloud storage is available. Take off your tin foil hat and you'll see that the migration to cloud storage is simple capitalism and innovation. No conspiracies required.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think conspiracy theory as much as consumer demand. People are willing to give up certain levels of privacy for convenience. Thinking conspiracy about elimination of physical storage is like thinking conspiracy regarding the physical keyboard or BB10. You just have to accept the fact you prefer something vast majority of people don't want or care about.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 01:02 PM
    I don't get why people don't use their own home cloud. Most have a pc with plenty of space un used in them.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-15-15 01:24 PM
32 12