http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...iretap-ruling/

Read their ToS, and just like me, you might switch to another provider.
    09-30-13 08:39 AM
    09-30-13 08:42 AM
    This is the reply that underscores my perspective:

Until the ad less APK shows up of course.
    But this is dismal. Not a fan of it, and Google is becoming more invasive it seems. Such is the cost of "free."

Thanks for the updates R.
    09-30-13 08:49 AM
    This is the reply that underscores my perspective:
    How would the ad-less APK work? Are we talking about a standard free/paid add scenario?

Regardless, why would Google put out this apk? Could the money they make from it possibly eclipse the ad revenue they would lose?

Edit: maybe they should consider an 'in-app purchases' model. "Don't want this email read? $0.10" BAM. Double money.
    09-30-13 08:53 AM
    How would the ad-less APK work? Are we talking about a standard free/paid add scenario?

Regardless, why would Google put out this apk? Could the money they make from it possibly eclipse the ad revenue they would lose?
    XDA boys and gals will most likely yank the ads out.

There will be a lot of heat if they do this, and I think they will lose revenue, IMHO. Who knows what Google is thinking.
    09-30-13 09:00 AM
    How would it work for those who don't download this new apk? Will El Goog push the changes through anyways like they do system updates?

I can see some people relying on other devices to read their Gmail messages if these ads are really intrusive.
    09-30-13 12:54 PM
    Use Outlook.com and EAS. It's not hard :-)
    09-30-13 09:59 PM
    Not many people care. 99.9999% of people care that it is free. That's all they want to know. Despite all the crap about the NSA spying, where did that poll in the US? Not even 50% cared.

There has to be a way to monetize these "free" services. Who is writing the check for Outlook.com?
    09-30-13 10:10 PM
    Use Outlook.com and EAS. It's not hard :-)
    The emails still hit Google servers, no?

There has to be a way to monetize these "free" services. Who is writing the check for Outlook.com?
    Outlook.com does not mine your emails to generate ads. They just present generic ones.
    09-30-13 10:17 PM
    09-30-13 11:42 PM
    The emails still hit Google servers, no?
    No. Your phone syncs with Outlook.com on Android via EAS the same way BB10 does. Outlook.com is more productive, especially if you use Windows 8 and Office 2013 (particularly Outlook).

It also has proper tasks support, which no other consumer PIM except I think iCloud has (Google Calendar does not, and neither does Yahoo! Calendar). With EAS support, it is the most portable email service out there.

I use Outlook.com via EAS in the Stock Samsung client, Skype for IM and VoIP, SkyDrive for Cloud Storage and Office + OneNote Mobile. Polaris Viewer preloaded on my phone for PDF viewer.

I use Google Services, but Gmail is not my main email. It's used mainly for stuff from Google. Everything else I change to Outlook.com as the emails come in.

I use iCloud as my backup account (via IMAP in the Samsung email app).

Gmail: only for Google Stuffs :-)

EDIT: Beyond that, Gmail on Android is simply, IMO, not a productive email client unless you send rather basic emails. You can only attach videos and pictures while composing an email (I guess they want you to use Google Drive for the rest?). Formatting controls are rudimentary at best, if not completely absent while composing an email. On top of that, Google's PIM data integrates poorly with PIM clients like Outlook 2013.

Going beyond that, Google Calendar doesn't have support for true tasks, which forces a lot of users to clutter their calendar up with things that shouldn't be there.

Email you send to Gmail Users, however, does go through their servers... And yes, they do (from what I've read) claim ownership of those.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 10-01-13 at 12:30 AM.
    danprown likes this.
    10-01-13 12:13 AM
    XDA boys and gals will most likely yank the ads out.

There will be a lot of heat if they do this, and I think they will lose revenue, IMHO. Who knows what Google is thinking.
    Or just root your device and block all ads in general. Not for everyone of course, but a plausible option if you hate ads enough lol.
    10-01-13 12:30 AM
    Outlook.com has an Ad-Free tier similar to Yahoo! Plus or whatever it's called, where you can pay a relatively cheap price to remove ads from the web apps.

However, paying for that in Outlook.com is kind of dumb.

Upgrade to Windows 8 and use the Metro Apps. There are no Ads in Windows Mail.

On Windows 7, you can use Windows Live Mail and there are no Ads in that application.

Outlook 2013 natively supports Outlook.com (via EAS, and is designed to support all Outlook.com features), and it doesn't have ads, either.

Gmail dropped EAS support, and their email services doesn't tend to give a great user experience in third party PIM/email clients that aren't designed with it in mind.
    10-01-13 12:36 AM
    U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh seems to get all the high profile computer/mobile tech cases these days
    10-01-13 02:59 AM
    French National Police Switch 37,000 Desktop PCs to Linux. See this article on wired.

Damn if only BB had a PC running BB10.
    10-01-13 03:26 AM
    Outlook.com has an Ad-Free tier similar to Yahoo! Plus or whatever it's called, where you can pay a relatively cheap price to remove ads from the web apps.

However, paying for that in Outlook.com is kind of dumb.

Upgrade to Windows 8 and use the Metro Apps. There are no Ads in Windows Mail.

On Windows 7, you can use Windows Live Mail and there are no Ads in that application.

Outlook 2013 natively supports Outlook.com (via EAS, and is designed to support all Outlook.com features), and it doesn't have ads, either.

Gmail dropped EAS support, and their email services doesn't tend to give a great user experience in third party PIM/email clients that aren't designed with it in mind.
    I've never seen an add in Outlook.com, but then again I use the Outlook.com app on Android, not the stock phone client or other general email app. At home I pull it in via the Live Mail app, even though I'm on W8. (I dislike the Metro app primarily because it uses the Metro version of IE when clicking on a link.)
    10-01-13 05:45 AM
    I'm talking about the website.

10-01-13 05:46 AM
    I have an Outlook.com account which I use as my generic account when I register on websites. I don't see ads on this fully free version. That again compels the question, who is paying the bill? M$ isn't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.
    10-01-13 11:40 AM
    I have an Outlook.com account which I use as my generic account when I register on websites. I don't see ads on this fully free version. That again compels the question, who is paying the bill? M$ isn't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.
    There are ads on the website. There is a column on the right hand side of the screen.

10-01-13 11:41 AM
    There are ads on the website. There is a column on the right hand side of the screen.

Weird, I don't see it. I have a blank area on the right.
    10-03-13 09:26 PM