Historically, Google has always been open to supporting other platforms and have always offered APIs when they had no official support. Their goal is to be everywhere and make everyone use Google for their basic services. The only reason they created Android was because iOS was a closed system that they saw that Apple had the power to discourage people from using Google services. They did not want the smartphone space to be dominated by IOS. The proof in that is that Android is open-source and therefore brings no revenue to Google. Instead google makes its money with the services it offers on the platform by being the default search, default map, YouTube, etc.

The reason why Google is being a bit hostile towards Microsoft is that Microsoft actually competes with Google in all those services where Google makes its bread and butter: Bing, Microsoft Office, Bing Maps, etc.
    For the above reason and because RIMM does not directly compete with Google, I think that Google will support RIMM if there is a big enough user base for the platform.
    01-07-13 09:31 PM
    That's life. Now that apps are all the rage and not well designed cross platform mobile websites, this is part of what happens.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    01-07-13 09:45 PM
    I hope bb10 retains bing as the default search engine just to spite google.
    01-08-13 12:26 AM
    I hope bb10 retains bing as the default search engine just to spite google.
    Nope. Google is much better, besides I would want Blackberry to stay out of the search wars and just let us choose which search engine we wanna use.
    01-08-13 01:02 AM
    All I care about is having calendar and contact functionality, that can be synced accross all my devices...BlackBerry and Android. I would be JUST FINE if it was not Google!
    01-08-13 01:40 AM
    I would only miss You tube, if for any reason at all was not available on Z10. I don't use google for anything else, and have not missed anything I need to do without it yet. It would not have any effect on me at all
    same here! I want them on board for the people that use them. tis it
    01-08-13 02:12 AM
    I just closed my google+ account. It sux. I'm also in the process of moving to outlook email as well. I'm tired of google selling all my info and everything else they are collecting my info for.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-08-13 02:54 AM
    Would love to know the PB/BB apps for GMusic I love GMusic and would love to add it to my phone/PB
    It works through the browser on the PB.
    01-08-13 03:28 AM
    While plenty may not use it, the one where support might be most missed in the long run would be g+ as like the other options it would be ideally suited to working in the hub.

Assuming that bb10 sells well, it wouldn't surprise me if we did see a number of apps, rim doesn't really compete in the areas that matter to google so there is no disadvantage to them creating apps.
    01-08-13 03:41 AM
    They are going to have plenty of apps at launch, we just don't know if there will be any google ones.
    01-08-13 04:30 AM
    Google can do anything. This would be a part of competition but i always love Google as it is the best search engine for me.
    01-08-13 04:39 AM
    Google is selling ads so they should want the widest possible distribution of their apps to display them. How is not supporting BB10 is going to help in that since BB10 can even run Android apps, it "could" cost very little to have an app.
    01-08-13 08:44 AM
    I use gtalk a lot, but I have the native app and is also confirmed for BB10, and maybe Youtube, but I use it more in my PB than in my phone, so I do not know, maybe I would be ok anyway
    01-08-13 01:34 PM
    F Google !
    01-08-13 02:34 PM
    Google MIGHT try and hurt blackberry??? OF COURSE they will.
    Banco likes this.
    01-08-13 05:00 PM
    Google MIGHT try and hurt blackberry??? OF COURSE they will.
    Actually, I think it's plausible that we might see a situation akin to Microsoft's surprise decision to invest in Apple when Steve Jobs returned there in '97.

Why did they do this? There was all kinds of litigation going on at the time surrounding some of Microsoft's "overly competitive" business practices, many of which were felt to violate anti-trust legislation. Microsoft rather brilliantly invested a relatively small amount of money (for them) and was then able to say to the regulators "see? We don't mind competition".

I can see Google supporting RIM for basically the same reasons; they're too small to be a threat. At the moment.
    01-08-13 05:16 PM
    Google is looking out for Google... just like most business do.

They aren't going to do anything to help platforms that have less than 10% marketshare (everyone but them and Apple), and they really cant afford to spend money to build apps for these insignificant platforms. Which is why they are fighting to support apps for iOS, but dropping support for everyone else.
    bp3dots likes this.
    01-08-13 05:32 PM
    I believe they're already trying to shape the smartphone/tablet market as Android and iOS. They're doing their best not to mention any other platforms.

It doesn't seem like it is in their best interest. They make more from traffic than they do on the Android OS. Why would they want to limit traffic?
    There's a point where the investment of time and $ into very small userbases on other platforms makes it not worthwhile to deliver that product. The site was broken on IE, which is why they dropped it. After the complaints, they put it back, but noted that it will not work correctly, and that there was no promise of any more updates. (Was posted over on AC a bit ago)

The other point it, MSFT competes directly with Google's bread and butter search business via Bing, so, if there were any other reason to drop IE support, that would likely be a factor. (Obviously speculation)
    01-08-13 05:48 PM
    Isn't YouTube confirmed for BB10? There's a pretty bland YouTube app for OS7 too. I reckon, aslong as Thorsten doesn't talk s*** like Steve Ballmer does about Google and Apple, RIM should be fine, I hope..
    Thorsten is better (and smarter) then that guy don't worry.
    01-08-13 06:15 PM
    Actually, I think it's plausible that we might see a situation akin to Microsoft's surprise decision to invest in Apple when Steve Jobs returned there in '97.

Why did they do this? There was all kinds of litigation going on at the time surrounding some of Microsoft's "overly competitive" business practices, many of which were felt to violate anti-trust legislation. Microsoft rather brilliantly invested a relatively small amount of money (for them) and was then able to say to the regulators "see? We don't mind competition".

I can see Google supporting RIM for basically the same reasons; they're too small to be a threat. At the moment.
    I understand. But had apple already showcased the ipod at that time? I don't think apple had anything going for them in that year. It would be the equivalent of apple giving webOS money right now, or even more extreme than that probably, as webOS still has a chance in other things. Now, RIM has already shown part of their hand in the format of bb10 previews. I am sure there are people at Google that have seen the whole hand. And in my opinion it is a good hand.
    01-08-13 09:27 PM
    I've ceased use of all google products, even prior to that all that i used was the calendar support.
    01-08-13 09:32 PM
    I've ceased use of all google products, even prior to that all that i used was the calendar support.
    I'd like to use Outlook, but maybe I'll wait until I upgrade my laptop to an SSD + Win8.
    01-08-13 09:41 PM
    All I use is Google maps. I like the satellite view, and the walking directions features. If blackberry maps has these I will be happy.
    01-08-13 09:43 PM
    Google Search is still by far the best. Bing never gives me what I'm looking for.
    I would prefer if Blackberry10 browser gives you the option to choose your default search engine.
    01-08-13 09:52 PM
    Could you live without an official version of Google Maps, Google+, Google Chrome, Google Drive, Google Music, Google Reader, Google Voice, and even YouTube?

I don't use any of those except Chrome for desktop. So wouldn't be a big loss to me.
    And I use everyone of these
    01-08-13 10:30 PM
66 123