Recently, Microsoft has been pretty public in their distaste for Google. Windows Phone users have allegedly been purposely blocked from using Google Maps, and having a standalone YouTube app.

Google offered this on Google Maps: �The mobile web version of Google Maps is optimized for WebKit browsers such as Chrome and Safari. However, since Internet Explorer is not a WebKit browser, Windows Phone devices are not able to access Google Maps for the mobile web.�

Although, FireFox uses Gecko and not WebKit yet Google Maps still works. This has outraged Microsoft, who believes Google is intentionally trying to hurt the Windows Phone platform.

What could it mean for BlackBerry 10 if Google were to begin limiting support? Both Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10 are fighting for the �third spot� in the mobile space.

Imagine if many Google products were not available for BlackBerry 10. Google has already ceased development work on stand-alone BlackBerry apps, such as its age-old Java Gmail app. Could you live without an official version of Google Maps, Google+, Google Chrome, Google Drive, Google Music, Google Reader, Google Voice, and even YouTube?

Google Might Try to Hurt BlackBerry 10 - N4BB
    01-07-13 04:19 PM
    Isn't YouTube confirmed for BB10? There's a pretty bland YouTube app for OS7 too. I reckon, aslong as Thorsten doesn't talk s*** like Steve Ballmer does about Google and Apple, RIM should be fine, I hope..
    01-07-13 04:22 PM
    I believe they're already trying to shape the smartphone/tablet market as Android and iOS. They're doing their best not to mention any other platforms.

It doesn't seem like it is in their best interest. They make more from traffic than they do on the Android OS. Why would they want to limit traffic?
    rickkel likes this.
    01-07-13 04:22 PM
    Isn't bb10's browser webkit? and (I've only had the simulator but) doesnt all of the map features (among other things) work perfectly fine on the bb10 browser?
    01-07-13 04:23 PM
    I don't think there's a lot of evidence that Google is going after BB.

They dropped their apps, sure, but many of them weren't even required anymore. Gmail works much better over BIS now than it ever did through Google Sync. Maps is still available (though harder to locate). Google Drive is available through Files & Folders. And BB10 doesn't just have a WebKit browser, it's HTML5 infrastructure is completely WebKit compliant.

I'd actually say that if Google really wants to hobble Microsoft's mobile efforts, one of the best things they can do is support BB10...
    jesse_h, Bla1ze, jakie55 and 6 others like this.
    01-07-13 04:25 PM
    On the flip side... maybe google is counting on bb10's browser to be as capable as it is shaping up to be. If it has a more compliant html5 browser than most desktops, wouldnt it be reasonable to just program html5 apps so you dont have to worry about platform specifics?
    jimpilot likes this.
    01-07-13 04:28 PM
    Could you live without an official version of Google Maps, Google+, Google Chrome, Google Drive, Google Music, Google Reader, Google Voice, and even YouTube?
    Yes. The mobile YouTube Web app works fine. Google maps is good but not the only game in town. I use third party apps for Google reader anyway.
    01-07-13 04:28 PM
    What could it mean for BlackBerry 10 if Google were to begin limiting support?
    RIM should rely on RIM.

if many Google products were not available for BlackBerry 10. Google has already ceased development work on stand-alone BlackBerry apps, such as its age-old Java Gmail app. Could you live without an official version of Google Maps, Google+, Google Chrome, Google Drive, Google Music, Google Reader, Google Voice, and even YouTube?
    All non Google handset makers may have to prepare for that possible scenario.

"It's not personal Sonny, it's just business." Godfather Part 1
    jesse_h and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-07-13 04:54 PM
    Could you live without an official version of Google Maps, Google+, Google Chrome, Google Drive, Google Music, Google Reader, Google Voice, and even YouTube?

I don't use any of those except Chrome for desktop. So wouldn't be a big loss to me.
    01-07-13 05:00 PM

I don't use any of those except Chrome for desktop. So wouldn't be a big loss to me.
    If BB10's browser is half as good as it's supposed to be, all these web-apps will work fine.
    01-07-13 05:07 PM
    Maps.Google.com is blocked on BB10 as well.
    You get redirected to the Google home page.
    The new BB maps is pretty cool though.
    01-07-13 05:11 PM
    I have no concerns. The market repays bullies in time.
    01-07-13 05:18 PM
    Google vs. Microsoft is a direct result of Google vs. Bing.
    01-07-13 05:21 PM
    If BB10's browser is half as good as it's supposed to be, all these web-apps will work fine.
    What they are saying is that the web links are blocked too. So if you went to google.com on a Windows phone, you are blocked.
    01-07-13 05:22 PM
    Yes. I do not like Google, never have.
    01-07-13 05:41 PM
    The same culture that rewards Samsung for copying its way to the top, will reward google for cutting off the face of its once customers!
    01-07-13 05:52 PM
    I would only miss You tube, if for any reason at all was not available on Z10. I don't use google for anything else, and have not missed anything I need to do without it yet. It would not have any effect on me at all
    Dapper37 likes this.
    01-07-13 05:58 PM
    Let me see here:

Google+ - Don't really use it so if it was missing, I'd not really notice. Besides, no app exists now really for BB so alas, the world still turns.
    Google Chrome - Again, no app exists now for BB.. so, ya. No loss.
    GMail - It's integrated, wtf would I need an app?
    Google Reader - Is pretty rubbish really on mobile, I don't even use it on my Android device. 3rd party solutions tend to be better.
    Google Maps - Who cares? Google Maps has an open API to tap into. 3rd party solutions will always be available plus, BlackBerry Maps has been overhauled.
    Google Music - Don't really care, I do use it on my Android device but when I don't have it -- I don't miss it and there is BB/PB apps for it should I start to.
    Google Drive - Don't really use it... Dropbox / Box is where it's at and even still, again 3rd party solutions are available.
    Google Voice - I'm Canadian.. no support. Which is another highlight as well.. Google is only now starting to realize they need to serve other countries.
    YouTube - Already have a native working app, not sure why it's even being discussed.

So... ya? What's that about Google hurting RIM? lol. Ultimately, Google would hurt themselves, not me. Think about all those ads they won't be serving me.
    This would not be beneficial at all Google isn't going to try to hurt BB10. Google and Microsoft are kind of like Pakistan and India they both want to literally kill each other. This has nothing to do with RIM.
    Google Reader was so yesterday...flip board is where it's at.
    Gmail - messaging is in Blackberry DNA baby..not so much worried
    Google+ - don't give a damn
    Chrome - if BB10 browser is what it says there is no reason to look for chrome
    Google Maps - I am not going to lie..it is one good app and I will just try to side load if for any reason disappointed with BB maps
    Google voice - not much, i am sure there will bucket load of third party apps, worst I will setup the GV call forward to my phone
    01-07-13 06:22 PM
    BB10 browser pretty much handles all of the native Google apps, so I don't really see a point of that site even bothering to publish that rubbish...

If you're worried about the blocking of the native browser itself, maybe you should Look at SimpleBrowser by Hatax... Has user agent switching and all the compatibility of the native browser...

Sucks to their asmar!
    01-07-13 06:47 PM
    Let me see here:

Google+ - Don't really use it so if it was missing, I'd not really notice. Besides, no app exists now really for BB so alas, the world still turns.
    Google Chrome - Again, no app exists now for BB.. so, ya. No loss.
    GMail - It's integrated, wtf would I need an app?
    Google Reader - Is pretty rubbish really on mobile, I don't even use it on my Android device. 3rd party solutions tend to be better.
    Google Maps - Who cares? Google Maps has an open API to tap into. 3rd party solutions will always be available plus, BlackBerry Maps has been overhauled.
    Google Music - Don't really care, I do use it on my Android device but when I don't have it -- I don't miss it and there is BB/PB apps for it should I start to.
    Google Drive - Don't really use it... Dropbox / Box is where it's at and even still, again 3rd party solutions are available.
    Google Voice - I'm Canadian.. no support. Which is another highlight as well.. Google is only now starting to realize they need to serve other countries.
    YouTube - Already have a native working app, not sure why it's even being discussed.

So... ya? What's that about Google hurting RIM? lol. Ultimately, Google would hurt themselves, not me. Think about all those ads they won't be serving me.
    Would love to know the PB/BB apps for GMusic I love GMusic and would love to add it to my phone/PB
    01-07-13 06:56 PM
    Google could use any excuse for limiting support to BlackBerry. But this would happen only after BlackBerry 10 demonstrate that can expand beyond fans, goverment and corporations, being a real threat to android.
    01-07-13 07:35 PM
    I'm just wondering what Google is going to say about Google maps being redirected when we know with IE they said it was because it was not a webkit browser but BlackBerry 10 has a webkit browser and it has some of the best HTML5 support on a mobile browser. So what could they possibly say "We hate RIM and don't want BlackBerry 10 to succeed" because I'm sure there is an antitrust law or something to make sure companies can not do those kinds of things.
    01-07-13 08:56 PM
    the only thing that would have hurt me was google maps.
    but i find blackberry navigation works very well indeed now, so not too fussed overall.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-07-13 09:14 PM
66 123