So we all know GPS is unlocked, but it seems that either Verizon wont let google us GPS or google doesn't want to make a working app using the storms GSP

Google Maps GPS on BlackBerry Storm - Google Mobile Help

"Hi all,

The team and I are acutely aware of the interest in getting the BlackBerry Storm's internal GPS to function with Google Maps for mobile's My Location feature. At this time, I can't provide a definitive answer as to whether or not this functionality will be introduced in future versions of Google Maps for mobile for this device due to the restrictions I detailed in my previous post dated 12/15/08. While the team and I hope that we'll be able to use the Storm's GPS for location determination, it's unlikely that this will happen in the near future.

I know this isn't news you'd like to receive, and, frankly, it's disappointing to me as well as a fellow Storm user. Though, please know that we're working hard to provide the best mobile mapping experience to as many device platforms as possible.

Best,
    Tom
    Do you "

**UPDATE**

2/4/09

"Hi all,

I understand your frustrations, and I apologize for not being as forthcoming with information as you all would like. As I've said in this thread (and elsewhere), access to GPS data on Verizon devices is restricted to certain applications. At this time, Google Maps for mobile isn't included in the list of apps that allow use of the Storm GPS. Therefore, Google Maps for mobile is unable to use the Storm's GPS for My Location. As the Storm doesn't have WiFi, the only option left for location finding is through Cell ID.

Please know that the team is very aware of this issue. If there was a way we could give you GPS integration, we absolutely would without hesitation. Also, I wanted to thank the posters about who provided technical guidance above - it's been of help

Again, I'm sorry I can't provide any better news for you all, other than to say that the team and I absolutely still hear you loud and clear - and, personally, as a Storm user, I'd love to get GPS integration with Google Maps for mobile working as well.

Best,
    Tom"

**2nd update**

2/11/09

"
    Not a problem.

On a more general note, I just wanted to thank everyone for expressing their desire to get GPS functionality on the Storm so passionately. I do understand how the lack of information can be frustrating, and I wanted to reassure everyone that this issue hasn't dropped off the team's radar in the slightest. Like I've stated before, we don't have an exact timeline for this fix, but please, please know that we do hear you and are continuing to work on it. And, as always, I'll update this thread as soon as I have more concrete information.

Best,
    Tom"
    Last edited by xxraffyxx; 02-12-09 at 12:27 AM.
    01-14-09 01:38 AM
    I think this is a Verizon restriction because it works fine on the Storm in the UK on vodafone.

Nick
    01-14-09 02:32 AM
    Verizon is starting to really **** me off. I hope they fix this legal
    Issue with Google sooner than later.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 03:19 AM
    How can google be restricted but no one else is? It works fine with the Garmin app and nav4all and other pay products as well as free products... Honestly I don't get how Verizon can block only Google maps. Personally I think that RIM and Google should stand up and say this is bull5hit if you want to sell or use our products at all you'll allow them to work as they were intended.
    01-14-09 03:26 AM
    If there are any Verizon reps here that can tell us who we can and inundate to get some results let us know and I for one will be all over it!
    01-14-09 03:26 AM
    Here is a article about Verizon choosing Microsoft over google search.

Verizon Picks Microsoft over Google, Yahoo for Search, Mobile Ads

Come up with your own conclusion I already came up with mine
    01-14-09 03:32 AM
    GPS works 100% on google maps here in Australia. It has to be a Verizon issue surely. It is NOT google. 100% fact.

01-14-09 03:46 AM
    Calling all hackers >__>
    01-14-09 04:42 AM
    I think this is a Verizon restriction because it works fine on the Storm in the UK on vodafone.

Nick
    It works fine on my storm here in Texas.........
    01-14-09 05:36 AM
    The fact that Nav4All works fine with the Storm, which is a free turn by turn navigation, says to me that the GPS is completely unlocked and that Google is behind the issue. VZ has far more reason not to want a free turn by turn nav to work as it would provide a free alternative to one of their fee based services.

And when people say that Google Maps works fine overseas we are meaning it does a GPS lock and not a cell tower triangulation right? Because Google Maps works 'fine' for me here in Philly... as a grossly inaccurate cell triangulation. But it will not lock using the GPS chip.
    01-14-09 05:49 AM
    That's a bummer. Google maps looks really great! i'm using BB Maps now and it's ok. Hopefully it'll be integrated into more apps.

01-14-09 06:33 AM
    The fact that Nav4All works fine with the Storm, which is a free turn by turn navigation, says to me that the GPS is completely unlocked
    Does Nav4All have European maps? I was looking forward to Google Maps helping me out when I get lost in a city center without a detailed paper map. If Nav4All could find my location accurately I suppose I could still jump over to google maps for the nice view of the area I am in.
    01-14-09 07:12 AM
    And when people say that Google Maps works fine overseas we are meaning it does a GPS lock and not a cell tower triangulation right?
    Yup definately a GPS lock. When I start Google Maps I have a message along the lines of 'Your position within 500m. Waiting for GPS'. After 10 seconds or so it changes to 'Your position to within 5m'. Those distances are variable depending on GPS etc.

If anyone knows how to do a screen grab, I'll show you where I am :-)

Nick
    Last edited by alterastro; 01-14-09 at 07:22 AM.
    01-14-09 07:17 AM
    I'm pretty sure Google Maps does not actually use GPS in this version, it's using cellular triangulation. All the other programs use an actual GPS device, while GMM does not. This would explain why it does not work while on VZW but once you leave the network to another service provider it works.

www google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=81873&topic=12595

For more information, in GMM hit the BB button and go to help, click on "My Location (beta)" and read the second paragraph.
    Last edited by Capt Nemo O2; 01-14-09 at 10:03 AM.
    01-14-09 09:56 AM
    I am using an unlocked 9350 in Europe and google maps works great with the GPS on the 9350.
    01-14-09 10:02 AM
    This is a mix with verizon and google. Google maps uses aGPS to get the location faster. Verizon blocks the aGPS when it is on there network. And Google hasn't made there program to bypass aGPS. It could be done on googles part but isn't, and they prob don't want to seeing they haven't yet. It doesn't need any say from verizon saying they can use the GPS. We have lots of programs for the Storm that use GPS and haven't gone by verizon. If they would have gone by Verizon we would prob never have seen them.
    01-14-09 10:23 AM
    It seems the GMM engineers are truly dummies after all. They need to learn to make the GPS calls to GPS, and not aGPS damnit. Of course they'll never get it to work with aGPS. That's restricted to knowing the PDE authentication info... always has been. Come on... WTF Google.

BTW, this doens't surprise me at all. The dumbass Thom's first post on that thead indicated that the Storm has such a highly sophisticated GUI interface that GMM wouldn't even work in landscape more. Ummm, yeah (it works just fine genius)... that alone speaks volumes about his knowledge in this area. That's one person Google needs to probably fire. Idi0t.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 01-14-09 at 10:27 AM.
    01-14-09 10:24 AM
    I'm confused. I'm in DC. When I have GPS turned off in the phone settings, GMM can only located me within 2000 meters or so. When I turn GPS on, it takes GMM a few minutes to lock, but when it does, it finds me quite precisely, and tracks my movement in realtime.

How is this not using the GPS??
    01-14-09 10:34 AM
    I'm confused. I'm in DC. When I have GPS turned off in the phone settings, GMM can only located me within 2000 meters or so. When I turn GPS on, it takes GMM a few minutes to lock, but when it does, it finds me quite precisely, and tracks my movement in realtime.

How precisely and are you by any chance using it on a GSM network when this happens?
    01-14-09 10:46 AM
    For more information, in GMM hit the BB button and go to help, click on "My Location (beta)" and read the second paragraph.
    If you read the last half of the first paragraph it states "If you have a GPS enabled device, this blue dot corresponds to your GPS location..."

It is definately GPS in UK on Vodafone - see my post above.

Nick
    01-14-09 11:08 AM

Are you on Verizon?
    01-14-09 11:17 AM
    mine works fine..used it just today..In Manhattan its just fine ..pinpoints me almost perfectly
    01-14-09 11:31 AM
    mine works fine..used it just today..In Manhattan its just fine ..pinpoints me almost perfectly
    Do they have many cell towers in Manhattan?
    01-14-09 11:37 AM
    I'm on Verizon, yes, and have never roamed on GSM yet.

And by precisely, I mean, it has to be within only a few meters. I can tell which side of the street I'm on, or which corner at an intersection. There is no "radius" showing, just a dot. (It might say "your location within X meters," I don't specifically recall.)

Also, during the "warm up" period, if I click "My location," it says "GPS service temporarily unavailable" (or something like that). And I get location within 1800 meters, generally (I've seen it down to within 800 meters). Once it locates me down to a single dot and not a radius, pressing "My location" does not produce the GPS not available message.
    Last edited by Revolutionary; 01-14-09 at 12:11 PM.
    01-14-09 11:54 AM
    I will note: the "warm up period," as I called it, does take a few minutes.

I had been assuming this is because 1) GMM does not support hotfixing and 2) it does not have access to aGPS. So it has to do a hard-fix, which takes it some time.

Once, I needed GMM to know exactly where I was so I could find a restaurant on the block I was on. I turned GPS on, then launched GMM, and then waited. It took a good 3 minutes just standing there like an i.dio.t on the sidewalk. But it eventually locked in on me and I was able to find a place down a couple of blocks.
    01-14-09 12:01 PM
126 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD