Hi, thanks for reading.
    I have recently noticed that when I have my Mobile Network turned off, but WiFi still running, Google Maps fails to operate and says it needs a network connection to download the maps. I realise that I need my mobile Network turned on to use GPS properly, but what about for just casual browsing?

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-10 06:43 PM
    All the Google BlackBerry apps require an active BlackBerry Data connection.
    12-25-10 08:05 PM
    It's not just an active BB Data, as that will route over WiFi.

The application itself has to be written to use the WiFi network. Some applications will only work over the EDGE/3G connection. They have not been written to switch.

The Google apps are this way. They don't know how to use the WiFi network, even if BIS is routing that way.

Other apps, like Pandora or Ubertwitter give you options on what network (Wireless only, WiFi only, or WiFI preferred).

Also, the GPS in the phone is capable of autonomously getting a fix and does not require the network to work. However, having it in Assisted mode allows for a faster GPS fix as it get's a location hint from the cell towers.
    widderschynnes likes this.
    12-25-10 09:36 PM
    It's not just an active BB Data, as that will route over WiFi.

The application itself has to be written to use the WiFi network. Some applications will only work over the EDGE/3G connection. They have not been written to switch.

The Google apps are this way. They don't know how to use the WiFi network, even if BIS is routing that way.

Other apps, like Pandora or Ubertwitter give you options on what network (Wireless only, WiFi only, or WiFI preferred).

Also, the GPS in the phone is capable of autonomously getting a fix and does not require the network to work. However, having it in Assisted mode allows for a faster GPS fix as it get's a location hint from the cell towers.
    Well said.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-10 12:56 PM
    there is a very good solution:

if you can get one of those "data day passes" for your BB, get it and have the data. then, download and install all the google apps (via whatever network you want including wifi) and they will now work even after your data services stop because the service books and host routing table entries have been entered forever. worked for me! the apps will continue to function on wifi as a mean to save data (which they were originally intended to do)

cheers!

Ziyou Zou, BlackBerry Smartphones and App World Developer/Vendor
    02-24-12 10:43 PM
    I used a "data day pass" to acquire the required service books and HRT information, however every time I try to use google maps over wi-fi, I receive an error which forces me to exit the app and buy a data plan. Does anyone know how to get around this?

Thanks,

Medacomix15

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-14-13 09:44 PM
    I used a "data day pass" to acquire the required service books and HRT information, however every time I try to use google maps over wi-fi, I receive an error which forces me to exit the app and buy a data plan. Does anyone know how to get around this?Thanks,Medacomix15Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    If blackberry maps works fine, it's a google maps thing. If neither work correctly and say you need a full blackberry data plan, then that "data pass" isn't complete or the right one. You might also want to re-register using the host routing table again and resend service books via the e-mail setup utility to really set the servicebooks so you can access those maps services, or best to use a full on data plan.
    01-14-13 10:54 PM
    BlackBerry Maps works, but I don't believe it provides transit directions
    01-15-13 09:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD