I seem to be a little bit confused about using google maps for my gps.

Is there any way to make google maps work with my built in gps? It seems to be only working with triangulation, due to the slow updates and it does not seem to be as accurate as blackberry maps.

I also tried to get nav4all to try it out. I got it downloaded, but it does not seem to be recognizing my gps??
    07-27-08 05:20 PM
    What carrier are you on?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-08 05:25 PM
    I'm on alltel.
    07-27-08 05:27 PM
    Hmm. Alltel offers GPS out of the box, yes? Do you have it enabled?

07-27-08 05:28 PM
    well, from what i discovered with alltel, is you have to subscribe to the telenav, which has a 30 day free trial. Once you activate it, you can delete it and cancel the subscription, then the gps will work. I've done that, and it still works with blackberry maps, but with google maps it just seems to be slow and inaccurate, as though it's only using triangulation. I wish they had google maps where it showed you what type of connection it was using.
    07-27-08 05:30 PM
    Silly question, but is your GPS enabled?

Options > Advanced > GPS

Make sure GPS Data Source says "Device GPS" and GPS Services says "Location On"
    07-27-08 05:32 PM
    Silly question, but is your GPS enabled?

Options > Advanced > GPS

Make sure GPS Data Source says "Device GPS" and GPS Services says "Location On"
    yeah, I checked that a little while ago, I'm really quite confused.
    07-27-08 05:34 PM
    My guess is that when you cancelled it, you distrupted the service, period.

07-27-08 05:36 PM
    My guess is that when you cancelled it, you distrupted the service, period.

well, it still works with blackberry maps though. I just want to use google maps for search function and such.
    07-27-08 05:37 PM
    Did you dl gm before or after cancelling the service? Bbmaps might just still be using the old setup.

07-27-08 05:38 PM
    Did you dl gm before or after cancelling the service? Bbmaps might just still be using the old setup.

before....
    07-27-08 05:39 PM
    That is most likely your issue.

07-27-08 05:44 PM
    That is most likely your issue.

I shall give that a try at some point tonight...thanks for your help. I'll let ya know.
    07-27-08 05:46 PM
    well, from what i discovered with alltel, is you have to subscribe to the telenav, which has a 30 day free trial. Once you activate it, you can delete it and cancel the subscription, then the gps will work. I've done that, and it still works with blackberry maps, but with google maps it just seems to be slow and inaccurate, as though it's only using triangulation. I wish they had google maps where it showed you what type of connection it was using.
    Leona
    First, make sure you call Alltel CS to cancel Telenav. If you use cancel through Telenav, it don't work.

Second. Your phone GPS is working ok. Goggle maps requires a GPS tracker program to work correctly. Your best bet is to use BM for simple GPS directions, It works very well. There's lots of free GPS programs out there plus ones you need to pay for. One thats free until 2010 and works real well on my 8130 is Nav4All, It talks to yea.
    07-27-08 09:05 PM
    Have you tried running BBMaps in the background, after "starting GPS navigation"? And THEN turn on GoogleMaps? You need BBMaps running to keep updating the GPS coordinates, which GoogleMaps will then use....
    07-31-08 07:47 AM
    Have you tried running BBMaps in the background, after "starting GPS navigation"? And THEN turn on GoogleMaps? You need BBMaps running to keep updating the GPS coordinates, which GoogleMaps will then use....
    I personally no longer have goggle maps on my phone. I removed it since i couldn't find a good GPS tracker to make it work. I have GPSed on my phone also. This program will work with Goggle maps. But, when you start GPSed then go to GM, GPSed stalls. I've tried it vis-versus but still the same thing. I've email GPSed about this, haven't gotten a response back. But, when i did have GM on my phone and when it worked with a GPS tracker, it worked well. I've just found that BM works very well for what i need. If need to find a golf course in the area I'm in for example, BM finds them with address's and phone numbers very well. Yes it doesn't have voice, but I've found it to more accurate then Nav4All for example. Nav4all I've found to be kinda hard to find a address if you don't know what county or township it's in. For example - In BM if i want to find 8456 16th st Holland, Mi, BM finds it's with out in problem. Nav4all, you need to know what township and county it's in.

Also, You don't need telnav on your phone, least with 8130, to have GPS enabled once you removed it.
    07-31-08 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD