I have Google Maps v3.0.2 on my Tour. I have enabled my GPS. When I click on "My Location" within Google Maps, I get "Your location within 2000 meters. Waiting for GPS."

I have uninstalled and re-installed and nothing. What am I doing wrong?
    08-10-09 10:11 AM
    i have the same problem. i was sitting next to a buddy who has the iphone and we both pulled up google maps and his was right on but mine was pretty far off
    08-10-09 10:16 AM
    my google maps is spot on. sometimes it takes a minute or so to lock in but as soon as it does its accurate within 5 meters
    08-10-09 10:21 AM
    my google maps is spot on. sometimes it takes a minute or so to lock in but as soon as it does its accurate within 5 meters
    Same here. Are you sure went into options and turned the GPS to location on? Because if you did, then I don't know what the problem would be.
    08-10-09 10:23 AM
    There are threads about this issue already.

There is a Problem with the software that google needs to address.

I think the problem is related to more Sprint devices, but don't quote me on that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 10:24 AM
    Googles gps is not so good. Sometimes it will get sat lock but most of the time not. When its not its just estimating your location based on the tower you're accessing and the range of that tower.

08-10-09 10:24 AM
    Mine is working just great on my Verizon Tour. No issues at all. Accurate within 5 meters.
    08-10-09 10:26 AM
    yeah mine doesn't work either
    08-10-09 10:55 AM
    From what i've read it's an issue with Sprint Tours.
    08-10-09 11:01 AM
    Verizon user here- GPS works perfect on Google Maps and is spot-on. The "software issue" with VZW and Google Maps is not an accurate statement. I think it has a lot more to do with your geographical location, clear views of sats in the skyline, and also your phone settings. Keep in mind, that the first time you use ANY GPS related program, the unit needs to acquire the satellites and set preferences in the phone in order to acquire them more quickly the next time you use it. Anyone who owns a handheld GPS or even an in-car unit would vouch for this- most instruction manuals advise you that first time acquisition takes longer than usual due to this fact. Let the phone sit and acquire a good sat fix the first time you boot up the program. From there on out, you should be able to get it relatively quick providing the weather and reception is in your favor.
    08-10-09 11:30 AM
    Thanks for your post. I just needed a little bit of patience. It's working perfectly. I'm now within 5 meters of my location.

Thanks!
    08-10-09 11:49 AM
    Google Maps (v3.02) is giving me a very accurate location fix, but it's really unusable on my Tour because Google Maps seems to think that I have a touch screen or cursor and puts icons on the bottom of the screen to zoom in and out, and to go to "My Location", and other buttons ("See on Map") in the UI that I can't get to.

I assume it thinks I have a Storm (I downloaded it OTA from Google), but it's driving me crazy. I know how to zoom in and out using the letters i and o, but can't get to see my location on the map, once I've looked up any address, or scrolled/wheeled to see other locations.

Anybody else having this issue? Is there a version of Google Maps that doesn't assume I have a touch screen? Thanks - Todd
    08-10-09 01:09 PM
    08-10-09 01:29 PM
    Google Maps (v3.02) is giving me a very accurate location fix, but it's really unusable on my Tour because Google Maps seems to think that I have a touch screen or cursor and puts icons on the bottom of the screen to zoom in and out, and to go to "My Location", and other buttons ("See on Map") in the UI that I can't get to.

I assume it thinks I have a Storm (I downloaded it OTA from Google), but it's driving me crazy. I know how to zoom in and out using the letters i and o, but can't get to see my location on the map, once I've looked up any address, or scrolled/wheeled to see other locations.

Anybody else having this issue? Is there a version of Google Maps that doesn't assume I have a touch screen? Thanks - Todd
    redownlaod the app from google and you should be alright. this happened to a lot of us right when the Tour first came out and people jumped to get google maps.
    08-10-09 01:49 PM
    There are threads about this issue already.

There is a Problem with the software that google needs to address.

I think the problem is related to more Sprint devices, but don't quote me on that.

Thats what i have gathered, im on my second Tour and it still doesnt work, Google does know about it though.

At one point they said it was fixed and re-download but it still doesnt work so i dont know.

At least they know about it.
    08-10-09 02:41 PM
    Am I waiting for noting????

I have the Tour a few weeks now and I really need Google Maps!

or maybe there is an other good map that does work on the Tour??
    08-10-09 04:12 PM
    Thanks Meyer1131! I had re-downloaded a few times after I first found the problem, but none of the re-installs worked, then because each re-install required the dreaded, long reboot, I just started looking at the version number (v3.0.2), which hasn't changed, but the version I DL'd today (after reading your post) works GREAT (although is still labeled v3.0.2) and resolves the "touch screen issue. Thanks!
    08-10-09 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD