So I was about to sign up for vzw navigator when I ran into google maps and I'm wondering what the difference other that nav is another 10 a month and the google maps is free? Some insight please!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-08 10:23 AM
    Navigator will use the GPS in your Curve and give you true GPS accuracy, about 3-m. Google Maps cannot use the internal GPS on a Verizon device. Verizon does not permit it. Google can approximate your position based on the cell tower you are using. That's about 1700-m accuracy at best.
    11-10-08 10:37 AM
    Good info jeff. I just really think I can deal with it being a little off with the gps as long as the directions actually stay true with the destination still. My bill is already in the 100 category so ill just save a little money I guess. I want the nav tho dammit!! They should include it with the data package!

11-10-08 10:43 AM
    VZNav gets very good reviews from people that use it. It's not an option for me, since my employer provides my BlackBerry. Those of us who can't, or refuse to, subscribe to VZNav use external GPS devices that sync to the BlackBerry via Bluetooth. There are several models sold in the CrackBerry Store. With those, BBMaps, Google Maps, and other 3rd party GPS apps can provide full GPS accuracy for free (after you pay for the external GPS).
    Last edited by JeffH; 11-10-08 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo
    11-10-08 10:58 AM
    The accuracy may not be perfect but the directions are. As long as you follow the route you'll get there anyways. GM does a decent job at letting you see that your turn or destination is approaching.

11-10-08 11:01 AM
    Cool thx guys. Appreciate the help!

11-10-08 11:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD