I lock my house and car and to me technology has allowed companies like Google to mine data and so on. Here is the question you must ask yourself, has it really directly affected you? For myself the answer is no.

What's scary to me is how folks have embraced this pay with your phone stuff!!! You want to talk about a potential fraud and major hack waiting to happen!!!!

I use the old fashioned method of paying with cash and I only use my debut card for gas if I can pay inside because of the skimmers they are using on the outside pumps.

Scary!! I say those situations are more likely to happen then Google directly affecting your way of life.
    IMHO you're insane to use a debit card anywhere EXCEPT at *your* bank's ATM to get cash.

Get a CREDIT card, pay it off every month. Why? Because unlike a Debit Card they do not have your money first, you have the product or service first. Not only is the legal protection against a fraudulent charge dramatically superior the practical protection against same is 100% since they don't have your money until after the fact.

I've had my card number purloined several times over the years, but it has cost me exactly zero dollars and zero hassle, since the card company has a strong incentive to FedEx me a new card (lest I stop using it and thus they stop getting the discount rate from merchants) and in addition I've never had any sort of trouble with someone trying to keep any of the fraudulent charges on the account. Not only does the law provide you near-perfect protection against same the fact is that since they don't have the money from your account there's no possible way for them to force you to fork it up, and under the law you cannot be compelled to pay a charge you neither authorized or received benefit from.
    grover5 likes this.
    09-28-16 08:22 AM
    I find this way of thinking to be quite scary...
    Would you leave your home or car unlocked?
    Obviously people shouldn't just leave their home or car unlocked and open to the public. However it is quite common (and more analogous) for people to keep their house locked, but give access to the house for people and/or services that they deem worthwhile and acceptable. For example, my house is locked when I leave it, however the bi-weekly housekeeping/cleaning service has a key to get in when they need to (I've even given them free reign to raid my fridge if they're ever hungry for lunch, and occasionally they'll leave me a note saying "Low on sammich meat" or something similar, which is akin to data mining and targeted advertising). My neighbor and I have swapped garage door keys because we share tools all the time (as well we've swapped mailbox keys to collect mail while the other is out of town). I'll hire a house-sitter when I have to leave town so there's someone there taking care of my dog and cat. A local neighbor kid has the combo to my backyard gate because he needs access each week when he mows my lawn. A local Weed Man company also has backyard access because they come by each month (often when I'm away for work) to fertilize and spray weed killer. etc.. etc.. And while I don't have many examples in regards to the car, I will occasionally allow a Valet to drive off with it, trusting that I'll get it back and the contents inside left intact.

So while I don't just leave my house unlocked and open to the public, there are people who have access to it based on whether I deem the service to be worth it, and whether I trust them to have access. I can also revoke access to any of them at any given time. Just like I do with my Google services.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 09-28-16 at 09:27 AM.
    Uzi, Wezard, Laura Knotek and 1 others like this.
    09-28-16 09:10 AM
    A better plan I have been using is two cups and a long set of strings. Email and typing comments has been tough however.
    09-28-16 11:39 AM
    I lock my house and car and to me technology has allowed companies like Google to mine data and so on. Here is the question you must ask yourself, has it really directly affected you? For myself the answer is no.

What's scary to me is how folks have embraced this pay with your phone stuff!!! You want to talk about a potential fraud and major hack waiting to happen!!!!

I use the old fashioned method of paying with cash and I only use my debut card for gas if I can pay inside because of the skimmers they are using on the outside pumps.

Scary!! I say those situations are more likely to happen then Google directly affecting your way of life.
    IMHO you're insane to use a debit card anywhere EXCEPT at *your* bank's ATM to get cash.
    My preferred place to use my debit card is not even at my bank's ATM but only at the counter.
    Bank ATMs have been compromised before.
    09-28-16 09:50 PM
    There's no free lunch.
    With Google there is no lunch even if you want to pay for it!
    09-28-16 11:13 PM

Get a CREDIT card, pay it off every month. Why? Because unlike a Debit Card they do not have your money first, you have the product or service first. Not only is the legal protection against a fraudulent charge dramatically superior the practical protection against same is 100% since they don't have your money until after the fact.

I've had my card number purloined several times over the years, but it has cost me exactly zero dollars and zero hassle, since the card company has a strong incentive to FedEx me a new card (lest I stop using it and thus they stop getting the discount rate from merchants) and in addition I've never had any sort of trouble with someone trying to keep any of the fraudulent charges on the account. Not only does the law provide you near-perfect protection against same the fact is that since they don't have the money from your account there's no possible way for them to force you to fork it up, and under the law you cannot be compelled to pay a charge you neither authorized or received benefit from.
    True (and you sound like Clark Howard there).
    But I have to point out that my bank gives me a zero dollar liability on my debit card. It's in writing and in the contract. I've had to use it, no problems, the money is available to me immediately. The credit card laws allow a $50.00 liability, though most institutions will waive or absorb that as a matter of policy. This policy does not apply to my business account debit card, I'm running naked in the woods using that one.
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-29-16 07:52 AM
    True (and you sound like Clark Howard there).
    But I have to point out that my bank gives me a zero dollar liability on my debit card. It's in writing and in the contract. I've had to use it, no problems, the money is available to me immediately. The credit card laws allow a $50.00 liability, though most institutions will waive or absorb that as a matter of policy. This policy does not apply to my business account debit card, I'm running naked in the woods using that one.
    I try and use the best anti scam and anti hacking method which is CASH. I just get a receipt for the purchase and put it in the monthly expense folder and log it into quickbooks once a month.

I am finding a lot more businesses out there giving discounts for cash and some are even going the "cash only" route and they are not losing any customers over it.
    09-29-16 11:34 AM
    Obviously people shouldn't just leave their home or car unlocked and open to the public. However it is quite common (and more analogous) for people to keep their house locked, but give access to the house for people and/or services that they deem worthwhile and acceptable. For example, my house is locked when I leave it, however the bi-weekly housekeeping/cleaning service has a key to get in when they need to (I've even given them free reign to raid my fridge if they're ever hungry for lunch, and occasionally they'll leave me a note saying "Low on sammich meat" or something similar, which is akin to data mining and targeted advertising). My neighbor and I have swapped garage door keys because we share tools all the time (as well we've swapped mailbox keys to collect mail while the other is out of town). I'll hire a house-sitter when I have to leave town so there's someone there taking care of my dog and cat. A local neighbor kid has the combo to my backyard gate because he needs access each week when he mows my lawn. A local Weed Man company also has backyard access because they come by each month (often when I'm away for work) to fertilize and spray weed killer. etc.. etc.. And while I don't have many examples in regards to the car, I will occasionally allow a Valet to drive off with it, trusting that I'll get it back and the contents inside left intact.

So while I don't just leave my house unlocked and open to the public, there are people who have access to it based on whether I deem the service to be worth it, and whether I trust them to have access. I can also revoke access to any of them at any given time. Just like I do with my Google services.
    I'm going to save this post for the people that think Google is out to get them lol.
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    09-29-16 11:45 AM
    And do not forget about the web browser, replace the chrome by a clean chromium or firefox flavour.

Eventually the solution is going to be:

1. Dump android
    2. Dump mobile data
    3. Retreat to using a laptop with a VPN running Linux.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 03:48 AM
    I try and use the best anti scam and anti hacking method which is CASH. I just get a receipt for the purchase and put it in the monthly expense folder and log it into quickbooks once a month.

I am finding a lot more businesses out there giving discounts for cash and some are even going the "cash only" route and they are not losing any customers over it.
    That was my route, till just a few years ago. The change started when I had to pay before pumping gas. I fill mine up every time, and was never sure how much it was going to be. And was NOT going to go in, stand in line to give them my money, then do it again for my change. So I went credit card for gas, shortly after that my bank came out with a card that gave me 3% back for gas. That got me in the habit of using plastic.

I also found that if I used plastic at the electronic and home improvement stores, I didn't end up with receipts that I wasn't sure were mine or needed to applied to a customer and saved for IRS.
    Now my general rule is, over $50.00 or for business - plastic, otherwise cash. And by cash, I mean the green "in god we trust" stuff, I assume you do also.
    I also pay off my supply houses each month with a Delta Amex, earlier this year, my wife and I went to New Zealand, total round trip airfare for both of us from Atlanta was less than $200.00. And that was in the comfort seats, or whatever they are calling the slightly larger zone between 1st class and coach.
    09-30-16 06:30 AM
    An aside: using cash has significant benefits. Every transaction that a merchant completes with a card costs them 2-4 percent in fees. If everyone in your town moved to using cash as a group, it would instantly grow the local economy by that percentage.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-30-16 07:41 AM
    A VPN hides your location but it doesn't stop google from listening to your voice communication.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 01:50 PM
    With Google there is no lunch even if you want to pay for it!
    Actually there's a pretty nice buffet on Tuesday nights.
    MikeX74 and JeepBB like this.
    10-03-16 04:55 PM
    An aside: using cash has significant benefits. Every transaction that a merchant completes with a card costs them 2-4 percent in fees. If everyone in your town moved to using cash as a group, it would instantly grow the local economy by that percentage.

Posted via CB10
    I might counter that they wouldn't have as many asked without the convenience if plastic for their customers. Can't prove it, just thinking out loud.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-03-16 04:59 PM
    Actually there's a pretty nice buffet on Tuesday nights.
    I hear the pasta salad is excellent.
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    10-03-16 04:59 PM

The drawback is you're on the hook if you pay for something and the company goes belly up. That has happened here with many furniture stores and carpet stores. Customers who paid cash and got nothing delivered or installed are stuck hoping to get something from bankruptcy court. Customers who used credit cards owe nothing.
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    10-03-16 05:20 PM
    The drawback is you're on the hook if you pay for something and the company goes belly up. That has happened here with many furniture stores and carpet stores. Customers who paid cash and got nothing delivered or installed are stuck hoping to get something from bankruptcy court. Customers who used credit cards owe nothing.
    That's not necessarily true if the companies debut was sold to a debut collection agency to collect for the bankruptcy court, you still have to pay what you owe.

Most credit cards, even furniture ones are backed by a financial institution which will get the money's that owed to them one way or another.
    10-03-16 06:19 PM
    This has been happening many years now ,not only Google is guilty of this but so are many Governmental organizations globally doing this. The only way to stop the microphones being exploited was to remove the battery, which with "modern " devices isn't possible.

Google just perfected the art.

Posted via CB10
    I have a z10 and a LG g5... both of which have removable batteries.... Although if anyone really wants to waste their time listening to me talk to my 2 year old with 20 different voices, go ahead.. I have nothing that needs hiding.

Posted via my old faithful Z10
    10-03-16 06:21 PM
    I have a z10 and a LG g5... both of which have removable batteries.... Although if anyone really wants to waste their time listening to me talk to my 2 year old with 20 different voices, go ahead.. I have nothing that needs hiding.

Posted via my old faithful Z10
    Good luck with that

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 06:24 PM
    Someone is listening.

Yesterday I was listening to a portion of an audiobook while driving that named a certain facility in a certain Arizona town repeatedly.

Today I received an email from a recruiter advertising a job at that facility.

This evening I went through app permissions and turned off microphone access to every app that would let me...and deleted every app that wouldn't.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 10:07 PM
    Someone is listening.

Yesterday I was listening to a portion of an audiobook while driving that named a certain facility in a certain Arizona town repeatedly.

Today I received an email from a recruiter advertising a job at that facility.

This evening I went through app permissions and turned off microphone access to every app that would let me...and deleted every app that wouldn't.

Posted via CB10
    Audiobooks use the speaker not the microphone. Audio books are media files stored locally on your device. There's no voice input/communication to be listening to.
    10-04-16 08:20 AM
    Audiobooks use the speaker not the microphone. Audio books are media files stored locally on your device. There's no voice input/communication to be listening to.
    I was listening to the audio book on CD on the car stereo.

My suspicion is that something on my phone was also listening to the audiobook.

The number of facilities in 50 states is simply too great for it to be a coincidence.

I have a dedicated work Google account...it is absolutely clear to Google based on the Android apps I have installed and the emails I get what industry I am in and what I do.

My blackberry is the only place my work life and personal life meet.

The second step in my solution is to delete my Gmail / few android work apps from my BlackBerry and get an ipod touch to quarantine them there.

Then I can make my bb10 entirely Google free.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 09:25 AM
    I was listening to the audio book on CD on the car stereo.

The number of facilities in 50 states is simply too great for it to be a coincidence.

I have a dedicated work Google account...it is absolutely clear to Google based on the Android apps I have installed and the emails I get what industry I am in and what I do.

My blackberry is the only place my work life and personal life meet.

The second step in my solution is to delete my Gmail / few android work apps from my BlackBerry and get an ipod touch to quarantine them there.

Then I can make my bb10 entirely Google free.

Posted via CB10
    Your phone listens to audiobooks? Does it watch movies too?
    10-04-16 04:14 PM
    The bolded is the kicker. It's an unfounded suspicion.

It's what's called confirmation bias.

It's just like when a person purchases their first Jeep. Prior to the purchase, they'd only notice Jeeps on the road once out of every 200 vehicles. After the purchase, they notice Jeeps once out of every 20-50. If you read (or in your case listened to) a book that referenced Sam's Club every 10 paragraphs, suddenly you notice every Sam's Club advertisement, whether it be on the radio, television, or online marketing.

Without the catalyst to spark your notice, you'd gloss over it and never really pay attention.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-04-16 05:24 PM
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37551415

I guess this isn't true. Why would they read people's emails to their kids who have nothing to hide?
    10-04-16 07:03 PM
119 12345