Hey folks,

As many know, when Google fired up their IMAP serivce for gmail, it didn't work so well with BIS. There was a significant delay in receiving email when forcing BIS to use the IMAP settings. There were some comments that it was an issue that would have to be worked out between RIM and google.

I'm curious to see if anyone is still using gmail on their BB via IMAP, or if anyone has tried it again recently. If so, is it still dragging to relay email to the BB via IMAP?

-M
    12-12-07 01:59 PM
    Same issue. I set it up via IMAP yesterday and there was a delay.
    12-12-07 07:52 PM
    Strange when I get Gmail, it's instant on my device. I've disabled POP on my Gmail account so BIS has to use IMAP.
    12-13-07 08:25 AM
    Are you sure POP is still disabled? I have seen it automatically re-enable while it is setup for BIS.
    12-13-07 08:57 AM
    gmail is INSTANT. My blackberry alerts me of new gmail before gmail notifier does.
    12-13-07 10:00 AM
    gmail is INSTANT. My blackberry alerts me of new gmail before gmail notifier does.
    True the default POP3 setup is instant. However, if you force BIS to use IMAP you will see a delay.
    12-13-07 10:03 AM
    Is there an advatage to using imap?

I mean if it's slower, why would anyone want to use it?
    12-13-07 05:23 PM
    It isn't really slower. Its just that RIM and Gmail have deals worked out that push their mail instantly to BlackBerries. Since this was all setup when Gmail offered POP access that is what works. IMAP was just offered by Gmail recently and it isn't configured to push mail as fast as the older POP method. If you setup a non Gmail or Yahoo mail account on your BB via POP or IMAP you will get the same delay.

IMAP is better than POP in that all of your mail stays on the server. You are not downloading it and removing it like you are with POP. With IMAP all of your folders stay on the server as well.
    12-13-07 05:30 PM
    I see, thanks for the info.

Does IMAP have better reconciliation?

ie: read a message on your BB, it gets marked as read on your gmail? or visa versa?
    12-13-07 05:36 PM
    I see, thanks for the info.

Does IMAP have better reconciliation?

ie: read a message on your BB, it gets marked as read on your gmail? or visa versa?
    Yep, that's one of the main advantages of IMAP.
    12-14-07 03:09 PM
    I finally have the IMAP option on my GMail account. But, with the multiple issues that users have had, I've been rather reluctant to even try it...

So, I'll wait for a confirmation that all is well, before proceeding...
    12-14-07 03:20 PM
    Ok, even though I'm a noob, I must be missing something obvious...

Where, on my 8320, can I change any of the BIS email settings? The Tmo screeen only gives me the ability to enter an address and password. I had set up a friends IMAP Gmail manually on an 8830 from Sprint, but I see no such option on this phone.

Hints? Help? (I miss my IMAP goodness! I'll take a chance on the delays.)

Thx!
    12-22-07 08:00 AM
    I guess I am of the "if it ain't broke...don't fix it" school of things, since my POP3 Gmail on my BlackBerry works teriffic. It's instant, reliable...and works fine for my needs anyway.

I'm not the kind of user that would note an improvement by switching to IMAP anyway.
    12-22-07 11:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD