With an outlook like that, I really hope you're an employee or at least a shareholder. Because you sure aren't thinking it through as a privacy concerned consumer.
    No I don't work for a tech company but I'd rather every company who gives me free service makes as much as possible off me so the service doesn't go away. Companies aren't there for charity. The best services are ones that serve a need and make the company money. Obviously it would be different if Google sold access to my email account where any party could log into my account and read my emails but having a bot use words in emails to determine which ad to display to me I could care less.

And you obviously are trying to minimize what Google does, or actually have no grasp of the big picture. The difference between Google and a provider like Hotmail is that the latter's scanning of emails--for spam filtering--does not result in targeted ad generation or aggregation into other revenue generating services. So while the means to scanning may be the same, the ends are very much different.
    Yes, I am minimizing what Google does. You're make a mountain out of an ant hill.
    01-12-14 05:46 PM
    Again, the difference is why they're doing it--the ends, not they means. Spam filtering benefits me. Google's targeted ads may or may not benefit me, but certainly benefits Google. Going back to your tires example, you said something like if Michelin and/or a good local installer is not using Google's advertising, that's on them. But this did not contradict my point--that Google is serving you up ads on who's paying, not necessarily what's better for you. And I have often seen companies with inferior products/services spend more on advertising, customer specials, incentives, etc--hoping increased visibility may bring them customers.

And the "better service" I'm looking for when checking email is...email. Targeted ads in my email don't give me better service. Not only are they a nuisance (which Hotmail's ads are too,) they are a constant reminder of my privacy being violated.
    So now your argument is that because you may or may not believe that their is a benefit to targeted ads and Google for sure is benefiting it's somehow bad. There are many features in Outlook or Gmail that you may not use that will benefit either company. If you choose not to use a feature that doesn't make it any less useful for some people who use it. Gmail has an auto filter that separates emails into different tabs for things like social media, promotions, and a few other things. It's a benefit to me because I use it and like it. Another person makes their own customer filters and won't like it. It benefits Goggle to make the tabbed filter for me because I like Gmail better with it which means I keep using Gmail. Either way not every feature will be useful or used by everyone but targeted ads are harmless BTW Google even filters the ads into the promotions tab if you have the tabbed filter on. It's not even like they are trying to deceive you. They are monetizing their ads to a greater extent and if you choose to never click on them it doesn't effect you either way. I'm sorry but you've taken logic out of this and are using some dislike of Google.
    01-12-14 06:01 PM
    It won't matter in the long wrong, nothing but a slap on the wrist.

Google's goal is to destroy privacy. That's how they make money. More information on you means better targeted ads.

Posted via CB10
    jrohland likes this.
    01-12-14 09:02 PM
    It won't matter in the long wrong, nothing but a slap on the wrist.

Google's goal is to destroy privacy. That's how they make money. More information on you means better targeted ads.

Posted via CB10
    Such a low standard to destroying privacy. Before you go to bed make sure to check your closets and under the bed for the boogie man.
    01-13-14 08:57 AM
    That is seriously nothing of a fine, it won't matter to anyone, everyone knows their information is being sold if they use Google, most people don't care a bit. Google just like all corporations and banks, consider fines merely an investment, the fines never exceed what is gained by the company, and henceforth considered a viable strategy to utilize. If the margin is too thin then the company will lobby legislation to move the barriers away from the intent. This is even taught if you venture far enough into economic studies. It's amoral, and most individuals would do it too. If you had the opportunity to spend $10,000 and you knew it would yield you $500,000 for sure, you'd do it, even if it meant you were breaking the law and paying a fine. The difference is your fine as an individual would likely equate the gain and be accompanied by jail time because you don't have scores of lawyers of which their only goal is to keep you out of prison full time.

How much is too much? It's not even close to a breaking point. As long as there are class distractions that keep the middle class feeling above poverty, aka manufactured consent, nobody will care.
    I agree. (mostly). I don't understand the class thing, in my experience, it simply is a non issue unless one perceives oneself to be lower class. I never hear about the supposed "middle class" whinging about class distinction. Or the upper class for that matter.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925 O2 UK
    01-13-14 10:17 AM
    Such a low standard to destroying privacy. Before you go to bed make sure to check your closets and under the bed for the boogie man.
    What are you trying to say? Would help your sarcasm tremendously if you had a point.

Don't take my word for it, read the words of the ex-ceo and now chairman of Google Eric Schmidt asked about privacy:

"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place." https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/1...misses-privacy

Does that seem like Google cares about your privacy?

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 01:14 PM
    So now your argument is that because you may or may not believe that their is a benefit to targeted ads and Google for sure is benefiting it's somehow bad.
    My argument is that invasion of privacy is bad, especially with marginal benefits (if any; if you still have to do further research, what good are Google ads?) to me.

There are many features in Outlook or Gmail that you may not use that will benefit either company. If you choose not to use a feature that doesn't make it any less useful for some people who use it. Gmail has an auto filter that separates emails into different tabs for things like social media, promotions, and a few other things. It's a benefit to me because I use it and like it. Another person makes their own customer filters and won't like it. It benefits Goggle to make the tabbed filter for me because I like Gmail better with it which means I keep using Gmail. Either way not every feature will be useful or used by everyone but targeted ads are harmless BTW Google even filters the ads into the promotions tab if you have the tabbed filter on. It's not even like they are trying to deceive you. They are monetizing their ads to a greater extent and if you choose to never click on them it doesn't effect you either way. I'm sorry but you've taken logic out of this and are using some dislike of Google.
    Not sure what you're going on about, but a violation of privacy is not exactly 'harmless.'

This reply does not befit someone looking to let an ant hill stay an ant hill.
    01-13-14 01:16 PM
    What are you trying to say? Would help your sarcasm tremendously if you had a point.

Don't take my word for it, read the words of the ex-ceo and now chairman of Google Eric Schmidt asked about privacy:

"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place." https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/1...misses-privacy

Does that seem like Google cares about your privacy?

Posted via CB10
    He's saying in this day and age if you do something in public / online it's not private. Ask all those hackers who end up getting caught. There are digital foot prints everyone.

1. belonging to or for the use of one particular person or group of people only.
    "all bedrooms have private facilities"
    01-15-14 01:01 PM
    My argument is that invasion of privacy is bad, especially with marginal benefits (if any; if you still have to do further research, what good are Google ads?) to me.
    Perhaps they aren't useful to you. That's okay; Google will survive without your use of their services. But the vast majority of people online use at least SOME of Google's services, because they DO find those services useful.

You don't have to like it, or agree with it, but that isn't going to change it for anyone other than you, so why continue this argument? We already know how you feel, and no one is trying to make you use anything you don't want to. We're just disagreeing with you about what OTHERS get out of Google.
    01-15-14 01:21 PM
    You don't have to like it, or agree with it, but that isn't going to change it for anyone other than you, so why continue this argument? We already know how you feel, and no one is trying to make you use anything you don't want to. We're just disagreeing with you about what OTHERS get out of Google.
    That's fine, and we'll disagree forever, I guess. But if you read in context, my position was somewhat misrepresented, which I was correcting. That's all.
    01-15-14 01:34 PM
    01-15-14 02:03 PM
    I'm in the healthcare industry myself, and I've always wondered how Google hasn't gotten in trouble for this before since HIPAA-type rules are so strict about electronic communication. Well, now they apparently have, in Canada. Of course, the end recipient ( a patient, perhaps) also shares some responsibility here, choosing to, say, receive medical/confidential emails on a Gmail account.
    01-15-14 02:12 PM
    I guess I'm in the minority, but I never really minded Google data mining. I know what they're doing with it. Its not like they use it for some evil unknown purpose. They're revenue is based on selling ad space. Now I'm not necessarily for it I just don't care a lot about it. Sure I'd rather they not do it, but at the end of the day it's not that big of a deal to me.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 10:30 PM
    I guess I'm in the minority, but I never really minded Google data mining. I know what they're doing with it. Its not like they use it for some evil unknown purpose. They're revenue is based on selling ad space. Now I'm not necessarily for it I just don't care a lot about it. Sure I'd rather they not do it, but at the end of the day it's not that big of a deal to me.

Posted via CB10
    You're right, the purpose is not unknown. Google is plotting to take over the world. And they are evil beyond measure.

01-20-14 11:56 PM
    You're right, the purpose is not unknown. Google is plotting to take over the world. And they are evil beyond measure.

Don't be evil.

They bought Nest so I guess they'll turn up the thermostat and roast us to death :| or freeze us! Possibilities are endless! LOOL

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 11:57 PM
    I predict that in 10 years Google will have holographic ads for diets, gyms, and cookies on our refrigerator doors, etc. etc. etc. !

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    01-21-14 12:59 AM
    Don't be evil.

They bought Nest so I guess they'll turn up the thermostat and roast us to death :| or freeze us! Possibilities are endless! LOOL

Posted via CB10
    I think we all know that Google is data mining the entire human race in order to sell the information to an alien armada poised for attack on the dark side of the moon.

mrsmumbles likes this.
    01-22-14 12:34 AM
    I think we all know that Google is data mining the entire human race in order to sell the information to an alien armada poised for attack on the dark side of the moon.

Don't forget they are the aliens minions.. They do there bidding LOL Or Google is building up there data to make a online blackmail archive.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 07:03 AM
    Don't forget they are the aliens minions.. They do there bidding LOL Or Google is building up there data to make a online blackmail archive.

Posted via CB10
    I have long suspected as much.

01-22-14 05:28 PM
    That's why companies need to not store unnecessary data.

Unfortunately Google and Facebook are companies that live off your information.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 05:31 PM
    I have long suspected as much.

Sherlock style LOOOOL

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 04:04 AM
121 ... 345