As I understand, older BB devices prior to bb10 don't support imap, caldav and carddav. So someone with a 2yr contract on BUSINESS using Gmail won't be able to use gmail anymore. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers.

Wrong. If you are currently a customer of EAS now, nothing will change. Its only new customers who are affected by this change. But since people have a false sense that the entire tech industry has it in for RIM, people somehow forgot that all of RIM current products are not affected by this change.

Google Sync End of Life - Google Apps Help

What will happen if I keep using Google Sync after January 30, 2013?
    The service will continue to work for existing Google Sync devices. Google Sync will continue to work, be supported, and take new sign-ups for Google Apps for Business, Education, and Government customers.

What do I need to do if I’m already using Google Sync?

Nothing! Existing users can continue to use Google Sync on their current devices.

Starting January 30, 2013, users, other than paid Google Apps users, won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync and should see our sync site for instructions. You can also consult with your device carrier or manufacturer for how they recommend to sync with Gmail, Google Calendar, and Contacts. Google Apps for Business, Education, and Government customers can continue to set up new devices with Google Sync after this date.

Additionally, three other legacy syncing services are also reaching their end of life, and will no longer be supported by Google for any users: Google Calendar Sync, Google Sync for Nokia S60, and SyncML. See below for more details.
    jesse_h likes this.
    12-17-12 09:51 AM
    Wrong. If you are currently a customer of EAS now, nothing will change. Its only new customers who are affected by this change. But since people have a false sense that the entire tech industry has it in for RIM, people somehow forgot that all of RIM current products are not affected by this change.

The service will continue to work for existing Google Sync devices. Google Sync will continue to work, be supported, and take new sign-ups for Google Apps for Business, Education, and Government customers.

Nothing! Existing users can continue to use Google Sync on their current devices.

Starting January 30, 2013, users, other than paid Google Apps users, won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync and should see our sync site for instructions. You can also consult with your device carrier or manufacturer for how they recommend to sync with Gmail, Google Calendar, and Contacts. Google Apps for Business, Education, and Government customers can continue to set up new devices with Google Sync after this date.

Additionally, three other legacy syncing services are also reaching their end of life, and will no longer be supported by Google for any users: Google Calendar Sync, Google Sync for Nokia S60, and SyncML. See below for more details.
    Thanks for the info.
    12-17-12 10:00 AM
    I've not closed it but I made an Outlook.com account. Its just so beautiful, clean and not cluttered/confusing unlike Gmail that I'm going to move to it full time soon. I'm also thinking of switching to Windows 8 from my Mac. If BB10 disappoints I'm going to WP8 too. Honestly I'm very broken between WP8 and BB10. The heart says WP8, the head says BB10. sigh
    Window 8 desktop.........you better try it before..not really good
    12-17-12 10:15 AM
    Window 8 desktop.........you better try it before..not really good
    I have Windows 8 on my Laptop, I don't like how they have the mail set up for it. It's confusing. I have MS Outlook too. I guess I can't stick with just one server.
    12-17-12 12:23 PM
    What is Gmail?

I only have a Gmail account because of the Google Play Store....for my SGIII. Never use it otherwise.
    Hotmail is perfect for me.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    12-17-12 02:21 PM
    I dropped my account today, spent about an hour switching everything over to my outlook.com account. The addition of "Personas" was excellent, ex for eBay & PayPal get a seperate address that comes to the same inbox. I had already purged myself of a GMail account once, and remade for youtube back when i was making videos 3x/week, i've stopped that now, add onto that their lack of sync support for BB, as well as the whole GMaps thing(yes, i know there's a workaround, but it's ridiculous to have to do so) have caused me to drop GMail completely.
    12-17-12 02:39 PM
    As I understand, older BB devices prior to bb10 don't support imap, caldav and carddav. So someone with a 2yr contract on BUSINESS using Gmail won't be able to use gmail anymore. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
    All Google did was drop EAS (and really... what BB user is concerned about EAS?). Additionally, people currently using EAS with Google will not lose the functionality. It only applies to new Google accounts.

Google isn't giving the cold shoulder to anybody. They're simply not using EAS anymore because they have their own method in place now to perform the same function. The new method is free to use by users on any platform.

In a nutshell... If Google is "sticking it" to anybody, it's Microsoft. All they're essentially doing is offering an alternative for those who don't feel inclined to pay licensing fees to Microsoft for EAS support.
    jesse_h likes this.
    12-17-12 03:43 PM
    Wow, what a bunch of babies whining. Since when does dropping EAS mean that bb is no longer supported? Bb10 is going to have calDAV and cardDAV support. What's the problem? Does no one actually understand this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    While I intend to upgrade to BB10, not everyone will. I'm sure there will be many of the current 80 million BB users that WILL be affected. That's the problem. I'm sure those people actually do understand this all too well.
    12-17-12 03:48 PM

I may be missing something, but yes, this does affect current users as well. I have no idea about Enterprise, but for personal use this has affected me (and many others, from my reading). Existing users CANNOT continue to use Google Sync - it stopped functioning/syncing a few days ago. There has been much info about this on the Crackberry main pages. Yes, you can still get gmail and your PRIMARY calendar to sync, but those with multiple calendars (eg. my work schedule) can no longer sync using gmail on a blackberry. That's where my problem lies. That's why I had to switch to a yahoo calendar and use a paid app to sync.
    12-17-12 03:57 PM
    Google Apps for Business, Education, and Government customers can continue to set up new devices with Google Sync after this date.
    This is why. unless you're Business, Education, government, or paid, you can't use it.
    12-17-12 04:14 PM
    I only have a Gmail account because of the Google Play Store....for my SGIII. Never use it otherwise.
    Hotmail is perfect for me.
    I jumped on the Outlook the day it started. Don't know why the name seemed so classy to me. I like the merge feature it has. Any of the old Microsoft names can be added without losing the account. It lets your contacts know what your new address is as well.
    12-18-12 01:23 AM
    I may be missing something, but yes, this does affect current users as well. I have no idea about Enterprise, but for personal use this has affected me (and many others, from my reading). Existing users CANNOT continue to use Google Sync - it stopped functioning/syncing a few days ago.
    I must be among the few that doesn't miss Google sync. It was supposed to handle contacts and calendar. My experience was that it didn't sync the calendar. And, beyond initial import of contacts, it did a wonderful job of creating a massive number of dupes.. So, I'm not missing it.
    12-18-12 01:45 AM
    May I ask a genuine question then?

If I read this correctly, non paying customers like me (because I am a heavy Google user myself) will lose the calendar sync, etc etc.

Question:
    1. How does this affect my "push email" on my GMail account on my BlackBerry Torch 9800?

2. Assuming (for discussion's sake) that I will be effectively cut off from Google with this move, are there any other means of alternatives that I can approach? (Preferably non-paying)?

I write this with the assumption that I am very happy on my BB9800 and I want to continue using it until I am forced to a BB10 upgrade when I have the means to do that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    12-18-12 03:41 AM
    This is a big deal to me. I like to keep my platform options open, and I am tired of the little wars going on between MS, Apple and Google. I switched all my personal activity to Gmail 3 years ago. EAS support meant push on any device, and Google is not actually removing it, just restricting it. It is not cleaning but instead denying. They are making sure you never setup another device that is not Android or using their clients on it after 1/13 with push. They are also doing it to restrict Windows 8 and WP8 users, where CardDav and CalDav are not supported. MS needs to address the support for those. They have announced no Google apps for Windows going forward. EAS is still active on their server, hence prior setups working. You can use EAS with Gmail if you pay for corporate services. They are not removing it, only restricting consumers from using it.

Basically all we get is IMAP support for email combined with CardDav and CalDav. It makes me want to go back to using my hotmail account since it works seamlessly on all platforms with push.

I like Gmail and I generally like Google products. I have had Android phones and like them. I do wonder if what Google does in the markets could be considered dumping. They give away products for free to kill most or all competitors, and then change terms after they rule the market. Giving away Android for free just seems like a practice not commensurate with fair competition. Oh well, I guess that is why we have choices and choices are why they don't get taken to task for practices. (rant over)
    12-18-12 06:27 AM
    I'll decide after BB10 to see all the companies that do/don't provide support/apps to the platform. Maybe it will become like my Yahoo account and a spam fest, or something I only use to sign up for sites. After seeing what sites/services are doing to try to monetize things (Google Ad Whores and data miners, Instagram can now sell your photos and not give you credit or commission even though I never used it), I'll just stop using things which aren't really needed. Worse case I'll just get some static IP addresses one day from my ISP and just setup my own services if things keep heading the way they are headed. Probably going to open an Outlook.com e-mail soon though. These services only learn if you either stop using them, or stop paying them for their services. Just like people who visit BGR and ***** about the content, you've already let them monetize you for that visit, if you don't visit, they don't see a dime from you.
    12-18-12 07:44 AM
    Try syncing your calendar, contacts. Dropping all over.
    12-21-12 11:29 AM
    Use a gmail ID for Play store, e-mail and YouTube. Quite valuable to me
    12-21-12 11:38 AM
    Meh I've never had a gmail account so I don't care. And windows 8 on a non touch screen is a bit of a learning curve.

I kept win8 on my htpc, but had to remove it from my main pc.

Anyway back on topic. F Google!
    12-21-12 03:49 PM
    I have gmail configured as a secondary account using the mail app on Windows 8 does this mean that it is going to stop working at some point? I will have to check and see if my gmail contacts have come down into the people app.
    12-21-12 05:17 PM
    Any device that is currently set up with exchange with gmail will still work afterwards, and bb10 will work with gmail when released. No need to cancel gmail over this. And this was more of an "FU" to Microsoft, not RIM.
    12-21-12 05:20 PM
    Outlook.com? When did that come out? I boycott das G-reich. Only thing I use is gmail and anxious to dump that for something better as a private email.
    12-22-12 01:49 PM
    @Tim Outlook.com came out a while back, but it wasn't heavily advertised. it's essentially Hotmail with a Windows 8 style interface, you can even make "aliases" if you use eBay and don't want to use your personal e-mail(all e-mail will go into a folder for the separate e-mail)
    12-22-12 01:54 PM
    Hmmm, got a new Thinkpad with win8 shipping in next week. Might be the right time to switch. Does outlook.com work on T-bird?
    12-22-12 02:27 PM
    hmmm very strange.... I go to make an outlook account with my username and it tells me its unavailable and pick a different name... But if I try to login using it, it says no account with that name exists and to register with the link... I will try calling MS and see if I can get them to create it or tell me why I can't create it... makes me mad. I'm definitely ready to get off the Gmail.
    12-22-12 03:41 PM
    "Winter cleaning"
    Dropping support for BlackBerry.
    And don't forget they are sticking it to Microsoft/Win phone 8 as well by dropping activesync support on new accounts starting this year.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-22-12 04:20 PM
52 123