I can't see it happening even if they're still making them xD. People would run away because of the name BlackBerry. Google wants successful hardware companies on the back of their phones, thus why they went with the biggest in the business, excluding LG. Still a nice effort with the 5x.

Not to say that, if BlackBerry produced Nexus/Pixel it would be of bad quality, not at all. Actually, it would be fantastic. They've always hit high scores in design, originality and uniqueness. Unfortunately, the brand-name is too destroyed for Google to have on their phones.
    You should probably read up on how HTC (building the Pixel phones) has done over the last couple of years. At one point in 2015 their valuation was below their cash on hand.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-05-16 09:55 AM
    Pixel XL will replace my 6p later this year.

Posted via Nexus 6p
    Lol the 6p is a nicer phone. Pixels hardware design is awful, boring and dated.

10-05-16 10:25 AM
    You should probably read up on how HTC (building the Pixel phones) has done over the last couple of years. At one point in 2015 their valuation was below their cash on hand.

Google is taking all the risk on this one. BlackBerry in their current situation will never assume the risk even if they slap their name alongside Nexus/Pixel.
    10-05-16 11:04 AM
    Google is taking all the risk on this one. BlackBerry in their current situation will never assume the risk even if they slap their name alongside Nexus/Pixel.
    What? Yes Google is taking all the risk but why would that be any different of they went to BlackBerry for the device? Why would BlackBerry be assuming the risk on that case? This is nul anyways since BlackBerry doesn't produce hardware anymore.
    The comment i responded to was the claim that Google only goes to manufacturers who are on a solid foundation which HTC certainly is not. Now will that change after the Pixel, potentially but it clearly wasn't the factor in google deciding who should build that device for them.

10-05-16 12:27 PM
    As it's been mentioned before, I wouldn't call that going all in. Hopefully they succeed, integration is key!
    10-05-16 12:46 PM
    A phone that reads my texts, listens to me talk, and has control of my lightswitch? 'The Internet of Things' is barrelling down upon us. Soon, we will be required to have such a phone, and a fingerprint reader so we have to be tracked for every website we click on and every time we get up to scratch our butt.

Some people are craving this Total Information Awareness totalitarian society we are headed for, going full-bore.

BlackBerry, and everything it stands for, appears to be the end of an era, where (a) privacy mattered, and (b) people believed that privacy mattered.

It's not just sad, it's scary.
    bh7171 likes this.
    10-05-16 01:45 PM
    What? Yes Google is taking all the risk but why would that be any different of they went to BlackBerry for the device? Why would BlackBerry be assuming the risk on that case? This is nul anyways since BlackBerry doesn't produce hardware anymore.
    The comment i responded to was the claim that Google only goes to manufacturers who are on a solid foundation which HTC certainly is not. Now will that change after the Pixel, potentially but it clearly wasn't the factor in google deciding who should build that device for them.

"Yes Google is taking all the risk but why would that be any different of they went to BlackBerry for the device?"

You misunderstood what I was saying, I meant if BlackBerry produces it, Google will take the risks, not the opposite.

HTC is in trouble indeed but they're a big manufacturer through the years and they still hold a household names in Android phones. I didn't mean Google relies on Big rich badass manufacturers who have money. I meant they rely on big companies with big names like Huawei, LG, HTC, Samsung and so on. BlackBerry is not one of these companies.

Losing market share or not, whatever happens, HTC is one of the best companies with the best phones around. They just messed things up. But they're respected by many people and their name is still relevant in the Android world.
    10-05-16 02:22 PM
    I don't think Google has the brand equity to compete at the same price with the likes of Samsung and Apple
    10-05-16 03:08 PM
    The philosophy behind Google and the philosophy that once drove Blackberry were completely opposed to each other. At its heart, Google is one massive data mining operation. The phones are simply a means to an end.

Posted via CB10
    Secure endpoint...?

Or data entry point...? ;-p

(should we say VS instead of "Or"?)

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    10-05-16 04:26 PM
    All of Google products were released as clones to compete with other products. They're late to the party. Very late indeed, nothing innovative in the way they've done things. Amazon has been more innovative than they're in these products although they are mainly identified mainly as an E-commerce company.
    There's no dominant player in the assistant game yet. It's not too late.

Even their phone looks quite like the iPhone and don't tell me HTC because its an all google design. So lets blame HTC for copying when it comes to their devices. Its a normal thing to copy in this world since all phones practically look alike, but taking it to the next level is not very impressive.
    HTC released some phones a year before the iPhone 6's that look like the iPhone 6's - same rounded edges (vs iPhone 5's straight), antennas behind seam lines (top and bottom), uni-body... Who's copying who?

The Pixel only needed a rounded home button to become an iPhone. Actually in their attempt to make it special they didn't add buttons, making it only worst. At times when people are cutting bezels, they've went in and increased them, making the phone your average generic touch-screen phone.
    Android moved to screen-based buttons a long time ago.

As for bezel, iPhone's have consistently had the largest top and bottom and yet far fewer complaints.

Google suddenly realized how profitable it is to have a complete ecosystem (Aligned with their Business model) and said lets release a bunch of stuff to have a competing product out there. I'm not saying they're bad products, but lets not give them credit for any originality or "cutting edge" stuff, that honor goes to people who started it first. They were actually "lagging behind the mainstream" on this one.
    You haven't been following Google for long enough. They established the Nexus line to give a benchmark for what to expect from Android devices. From that, we've seen higher resolution screens, bigger phones, screen buttons, multiple cameras for depth measurement/fake depth-of-field, etc. Prior to the Google Assistant, there was Google Now, auto-organizing calendars, flights, answering general queries, etc. Google has done a lot and acquired a lot.
    10-05-16 07:09 PM

Wherethehellaretheappsgate
    ... Made me LOL. My collegues looked up in suprise.

Thanks.
    10-06-16 04:19 AM
    A phone that reads my texts, listens to me talk, and has control of my lightswitch? 'The Internet of Things' is barrelling down upon us. Soon, we will be required to have such a phone, and a fingerprint reader so we have to be tracked for every website we click on and every time we get up to scratch our butt.

Some people are craving this Total Information Awareness totalitarian society we are headed for, going full-bore.

BlackBerry, and everything it stands for, appears to be the end of an era, where (a) privacy mattered, and (b) people believed that privacy mattered.

It's not just sad, it's scary.
    Nothing changes....

Just seems like older people always become afraid of newer technology at some point. Not saying that our privacy isn't an issue... just that it always has been. I expect when Ben Franklin started up the Postal Service there were many that were rightly concerned about their privacy too. And the fear of some totalitarian society... well that's been around for a long time too.

Me... don't think it will happen until we start implanting chips in our brains to communicate. Most of us well be gone by then, so why worry about it.
    TgeekB and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-06-16 08:03 AM
    There's no dominant player in the assistant game yet. It's not too late.
    Do you work for Google? Because you seem to like everything about the phone and willing to give me an explanation to unrealistically defend them in everything xD.

No one told you there is a dominant player in the assistant game yet. Also, I don't mean they're late in a market sense, the way BB10 was late. Its still starting to hit off and lots of homes around the world don't use it. Doesn't change the fact that Google is copying amazon's Echo on this one. In that sense they're late. Too late because Google should be 1st Vs Amazon. 2nd player to finish the race and copy the competitor is not to be claimed 1st. Amazon spent on the R&D, came up with the product. Rest followed, which is easier. Amazon had the original effort.

HTC released some phones a year before the iPhone 6's that look like the iPhone 6's - same rounded edges (vs iPhone 5's straight), antennas behind seam lines (top and bottom), uni-body... Who's copying who?
    Apple's iPhone copied HTC first and HTC phones returned the favor by copying them. I'm an HTC fan myself but lets say the truth here. One must clarify that its Google's decision to copycat iPhone, not HTC. I was covering that base so no one quotes me saying HTC is the guilty party. Even HTC didn't go that far when they copied them.

Android moved to screen-based buttons a long time ago.

As for bezel, iPhone's have consistently had the largest top and bottom and yet far fewer complaints.
    Some phones are but not every phone. "Moved" indicates a complete move with no phones around having home buttons. Two of the biggest android phones on the market: S line and Note line still use it. Samsung, HTC, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, Meziu all use it in their flagships. And the people who don't use it, don't leave you with huge bezels with nothing there.

Haha there wasn't any complaints regarding the iPhone because there was a home button to fill the void, also because they didn't copy it from anyone else, and FAIL in doing that. It's the iPhone's original design since its started. Back then bezels were alright, iPhone gets heat now for still sticking with such bezels even though people work to cut them down as much as possible. So actually there are a lot of complaints nowadays. Won't be like Google's because its not copied though.

You haven't been following Google for long enough. They established the Nexus line to give a benchmark for what to expect from Android devices. From that, we've seen higher resolution screens, bigger phones, screen buttons, multiple cameras for depth measurement/fake depth-of-field, etc. Prior to the Google Assistant, there was Google Now, auto-organizing calendars, flights, answering general queries, etc. Google has done a lot and acquired a lot.
    I know why they established the Nexus line, that's not why they established the Pixel line. No similarities here. One was for the pure android experience and to show off its true skin for developers & enthusiasts. Now they want to start making hardware and money through Ads. Actually pretty much everyone knows why. Doesn't need any following mate xD. You didn't bring us the secret sauce of years of following Google.

Again, no one told you Google hasn't done and acquired a lot. No one can deny in an overall state how great & innovative they're, but everything they've introduced in their latest event was copied from an exact product for a competitor. With the Pixel being the most one copied. Its a true clone of the iPhone, too stupid, too obvious and definitely undeniable.
    Last edited by Sairos; 10-06-16 at 09:41 AM.
    10-06-16 09:01 AM
    Nothing changes....

Just seems like older people always become afraid of newer technology at some point. Not saying that our privacy isn't an issue... just that it always has been. I expect when Ben Franklin started up the Postal Service there were many that were rightly concerned about their privacy too. And the fear of some totalitarian society... well that's been around for a long time too.

Me... don't think it will happen until we start implanting chips in our brains to communicate. Most of us well be gone by then, so why worry about it.
    I don't think the older generation is necessarily afraid of it but just feel it's not necessary, I can make a reservation at a restaurant if I want myself, don't need Google for that.

People may not want Google, Apple Microsoft etc rooting through personal info on them because not everyone wants the world to know their business as dull as it usually is.

At this point I don't see enough Benifits to warrant such a gadget for me anyhow.
    10-06-16 10:24 AM
    Do you work for Google? Because you seem to like everything about the phone and willing to give me an explanation to unrealistically defend them in everything xD.
    One just needs to be a long time tech enthusiast to know who copied who, not someone who just jumped into the scene and wants to present themselves as an expert with absolute statements. The whole industry leverages off of each other. Apple copies as much as it "innovates". Copy & paste, presented as an innovation. Front facing camera, same. Higher resolution screen, same. What hasn't Apple presented as "magical"? Only people who drunk the Kool Aid hard think that everything started with Apple.

No one told you there is a dominant player in the assistant game yet. Also, I don't mean they're late in a market sense, the way BB10 was late. Its still starting to hit off and lots of homes around the world don't use it. Doesn't change the fact that Google is copying amazon's Echo on this one. In that sense they're late. Too late because Google should be 1st Vs Amazon. 2nd player to finish the race and copy the competitor is not to be claimed 1st. Amazon spent on the R&D, came up with the product. Rest followed, which is easier. Amazon had the original effort.
    Who cares? That's a pretty pointless way to evaluate technology. BlackBerry was the first smartphone, but other companies exceeded it since. So what if BlackBerry was first? Do they need a cookie?

Apple's iPhone copied HTC first and HTC phones returned the favor by copying them. I'm an HTC fan myself but lets say the truth here. One must clarify that its Google's decision to copycat iPhone, not HTC. I was covering that base so no one quotes me saying HTC is the guilty party. Even HTC didn't go that far when they copied them.
    Is this a joke? HTC made what looks to be the current design of the iPhone 6/7's... a year before Apple. Maybe they copied themselves with the Pixel! HTC is building Google's phone and under the Nexus line, each manufacturer injects their own design aesthetic. Had some other manufacturer, like Samsung, made the Pixel, you /might/ have an argument there.

Some phones are but not every phone. "Moved" indicates a complete move with no phones around having home buttons. Two of the biggest android phones on the market: S line and Note line still use it. Samsung, HTC, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, Meziu all use it in their flagships. And the people who don't use it, don't leave you with huge bezels with nothing there.

Haha there wasn't any complaints regarding the iPhone because there was a home button to fill the void, also because they didn't copy it from anyone else, and FAIL in doing that. It's the iPhone's original design since its started. Back then bezels were alright, iPhone gets heat now for still sticking with such bezels even though people work to cut them down as much as possible. So actually there are a lot of complaints nowadays. Won't be like Google's because its not copied though.
    "Moved" indicates the design no longer requires the dedicated bezel space.

I know why they established the Nexus line, that's not why they established the Pixel line. No similarities here. One was for the pure android experience and to show off its true skin for developers & enthusiasts. Now they want to start making hardware and money through Ads. Actually pretty much everyone knows why. Doesn't need any following mate xD. You didn't bring us the secret sauce of years of following Google.

Again, no one told you Google hasn't done and acquired a lot. No one can deny in an overall state how great & innovative they're, but everything they've introduced in their latest event was copied from an exact product for a competitor. With the Pixel being the most one copied. Its a true clone of the iPhone, too stupid, too obvious and definitely undeniable.
    The Pixel line replaces the Nexus line. It's a re-branding move. If the new Pixel's were just new Nexus phones made by HTC, using a design HTC has been using, then there wouldn't be this "claim" that it's a clone. It's just HTC making an HTC phone with pure Android for Google.
    10-06-16 11:41 AM
    One just needs to be a long time tech enthusiast to know who copied who, not someone who just jumped into the scene and wants to present themselves as an expert with absolute statements. The whole industry leverages off of each other. Apple copies as much as it "innovates". Copy & paste, presented as an innovation. Front facing camera, same. Higher resolution screen, same. What hasn't Apple presented as "magical"? Only people who drunk the Kool Aid hard think that everything started with Apple.

Who cares? That's a pretty pointless way to evaluate technology. BlackBerry was the first smartphone, but other companies exceeded it since. So what if BlackBerry was first? Do they need a cookie?

Is this a joke? HTC made what looks to be the current design of the iPhone 6/7's... a year before Apple. Maybe they copied themselves with the Pixel! HTC is building Google's phone and under the Nexus line, each manufacturer injects their own design aesthetic. Had some other manufacturer, like Samsung, made the Pixel, you /might/ have an argument there.

"Moved" indicates the design no longer requires the dedicated bezel space.

The Pixel line replaces the Nexus line. It's a re-branding move. If the new Pixel's were just new Nexus phones made by HTC, using a design HTC has been using, then there wouldn't be this "claim" that it's a clone. It's just HTC making an HTC phone with pure Android for Google.
    I dislike and hate apple more than anyone. But I won't change my opinion based on that. Apple copied HTC and HTC copied apple in certain aspects. Apple does nothing but copy in the last few years. They're late in everything and they just copy innovations without R&D.

I don't want to go into a long argument with pages and pages of opinions being repeated. A lot of people agree with the fact that its a bloody clone. A very bloody stupid clone. If you disagree, then by all means, your opinion. But you won't get any admission that its a fact. So does my opinion, it stays an opinion.

Lots of people did argue the same fact, that Google is copying everyone's product with their current ecosystem. Lots of tech websites have argued this and I could bombard you with links. But hey same thing, opinions mate. if you disagree, you disagree. I think everything they made is copied without innovating and spending on R&D.

Its not a re-branding move. First the nexus were made and designed by other OEMs. Google did little on it, only software. Now its very different, totally different. They care the risks of hardware, they injected more special features. They've changed A LOT. and yet you argue its a bloody re-branding move? They even increased the price. They did same specs for both phones. They changed things radically and I've not seen anyone label it as re-branding, please wake up a little.

Your opinion, is weird, very weird. Know why? You shame Apple for copying HTC, you tell me kool-aid. Fans and all that BS. yet in the same very post, you say who cares if BlackBerry was the 1st? Do they need a cookie?. Hey, stay on the same road haha.. Is it okay to copy and not be the 1st to do it or not?

You hate Apple mate and relentlessly defend Google on their BS cloning. Clap Clap, I hate them even more, but lets be realistic and criticize companies when they deserve it. You attack Apple's cloning but defend Google's or even worst, make it look like No cloning or Okay Cloning
    rt2567 and si001 like this.
    10-06-16 11:53 AM
    I dislike and hate apple more than anyone. But I won't change my opinion based on that. Apple copied HTC and HTC copied apple in certain aspects. Apple does nothing but copy in the last few years. They're late in everything and they just copy innovations without R&D.

I don't want to go into a long argument with pages and pages of opinions being repeated. A lot of people agree with the fact that its a bloody clone. A very bloody stupid clone. If you disagree, then by all means, your opinion. But you won't get any admission that its a fact. So does my opinion, it stays an opinion.

Lots of people did argue the same fact, that Google is copying everyone's product with their current ecosystem. Lots of tech websites have argued this and I could bombard you with links. But hey same thing, opinions mate. if you disagree, you disagree. I think everything they made is copied without innovating and spending on R&D.

Its not a re-branding move. First the nexus were made and designed by other OEMs. Google did little on it, only software. Now its very different, totally different. They care the risks of hardware, they injected more special features. They've changed A LOT. and yet you argue its a bloody re-branding move? They even increased the price. They did same specs for both phones. They changed things radically and I've not seen anyone label it as re-branding, please wake up a little.

Your opinion, is weird, very weird. Know why? You shame Apple for copying HTC, you tell me kool-aid. Fans and all that BS. yet in the same very post, you say who cares if BlackBerry was the 1st? Do they need a cookie?. Hey, stay on the same road haha.. Is it okay to copy and not be the 1st to do it or not?

You hate Apple mate and relentlessly defend Google on their BS cloning. Clap Clap, I hate them even more, but lets be realistic and criticize companies when they deserve it. You attack Apple's cloning but defend Google's or even worst, make it look like No cloning or Okay Cloning
    Yeah, I thought pixel was just rebranding.
    It looks otherwise. Even the price is tending to b apple.
    Blackberry android becomes even more important for me now, with Google going the apple way
    Sairos likes this.
    10-06-16 12:56 PM
    Yeah, I thought pixel was just rebranding.
    It looks otherwise. Even the price is tending to b apple.
    Blackberry android becomes even more important for me now, with Google going the apple way
    They re-branded the iPhone, kept android though.

Google going "all in on hardware"...-pixel-phone-google2.jpg.jpg

Google going "all in on hardware"...-iphone-pixel-2.jpg.jpg
    10-06-16 03:19 PM
    Never thought I would criticize google on behalf of Apple and their iPhone, weird days.

Huh, and they mock BlackBerry's rebranding of the Alcatel Idol, at least we took their permission. We'll also give them a cut of the profits. Wait, what profits, never mind.
    10-06-16 03:23 PM
    The ad for the Google phone is nice. It looks a lot like a Samsung. Will that help or hurt?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-16 03:24 PM
    This is the limit.
    Google cloning iPhone & the price.
    Enuff of Google, i hav to go Dtek or bb-licensed.
    10-06-16 04:13 PM

By saying someone cloned someone else's design, you've given one party design ownership. And that's not the case, even by your own admission. Everyone takes design ideas from everyone else. Specifically, you're saying that the Pixel is a clone of the iPhone 6/7. To you, "first" matters, so why don't you associate the Pixel as a clone of an HTC product? In 2013, HTC made the first unibody with antenna design, which Apple copied in the iPhone 6. The following year, HTC smoothed out the edges of their phones and their phones looked like the iPhone 6. Since the Pixel is an HTC phone, it looks like an HTC phone. Again, this is no different than if Google had commissioned HTC to make the next Nexus phone.

More special features? Like what? Google's Nexus phones have always added/removed hardware specs based on what Google desires as a showcase Android phone. When Google wanted everyone to use the cloud, they spec'ed the removal of the microSD slot. In the Pixel, their emphasis this time was the camera. The rest of the phone has specs consistent with any flagship Android phone. There's no radical change.

The re-branding from Nexus to Pixel allows Google to change the price point. Nexus was all about a good price point. Pixel isn't. It's to go toe-to-toe with flagships.

Again, the industry thrives on companies leveraging on each other's ideas. The issue I have with your argument is that you're saying the Pixel is a clone of the iPhone, yet you've neglected to recognize that the phone is made by HTC and the design is HTC, which looks like an HTC from 2013 (the back especially), the 2014 (which is what HTC and iPhones look like presently). You've given Apple "ownership" of the design, which is either through deliberate negligence, because you claim to know better, or ignorance, because you didn't know of HTC's designs dating back to 2013.

I call it like it is. The Pixel isn't a clone of the iPhone; rather, it's a descendant of an HTC design from 2013, which is consistent with what HTC builds today. If the idea of "first" matters, then it's still an HTC design.
    10-06-16 05:24 PM
    By saying someone cloned someone else's design, you've given one party design ownership. And that's not the case, even by your own admission. Everyone takes design ideas from everyone else. Specifically, you're saying that the Pixel is a clone of the iPhone 6/7. To you, "first" matters, so why don't you associate the Pixel as a clone of an HTC product? In 2013, HTC made the first unibody with antenna design, which Apple copied in the iPhone 6. The following year, HTC smoothed out the edges of their phones and their phones looked like the iPhone 6. Since the Pixel is an HTC phone, it looks like an HTC phone. Again, this is no different than if Google had commissioned HTC to make the next Nexus phone.

More special features? Like what? Google's Nexus phones have always added/removed hardware specs based on what Google desires as a showcase Android phone. When Google wanted everyone to use the cloud, they spec'ed the removal of the microSD slot. In the Pixel, their emphasis this time was the camera. The rest of the phone has specs consistent with any flagship Android phone. There's no radical change.

The re-branding from Nexus to Pixel allows Google to change the price point. Nexus was all about a good price point. Pixel isn't. It's to go toe-to-toe with flagships.

Again, the industry thrives on companies leveraging on each other's ideas. The issue I have with your argument is that you're saying the Pixel is a clone of the iPhone, yet you've neglected to recognize that the phone is made by HTC and the design is HTC, which looks like an HTC from 2013 (the back especially), the 2014 (which is what HTC and iPhones look like presently). You've given Apple "ownership" of the design, which is either through deliberate negligence, because you claim to know better, or ignorance, because you didn't know of HTC's designs dating back to 2013.

I call it like it is. The Pixel isn't a clone of the iPhone; rather, it's a descendant of an HTC design from 2013, which is consistent with what HTC builds today. If the idea of "first" matters, then it's still an HTC design.
    Haha, Whether you like it or not:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pixel-phone-by-google2.JPG.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	409662

Name:	iphone-pixel-2.JPG.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	409663

However, I admire the fearless defense of HTC. One of the greatest phones brand. Its bad to see them not doing so good these days. They deserve to be among the best, they're actually but people don't appreciate.

Also the immense dislike for the iPhone is admirable, Good Job. We could have gotten along if it wasn't for that Google Pixel haha.
    Last edited by Sairos; 10-06-16 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Typo
    10-06-16 05:31 PM
    They re-branded the iPhone, kept android though.

Name:	pixel-phone-by-google2.JPG.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	409662

Name:	iphone-pixel-2.JPG.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	409663
    HTC 10 (2016)

https://www.androidcentral.com/sites...lver-white.jpg

What the HTC and iPhone looked like in 2013 (back side)

http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/...37-580x424.jpg

iPhone 6 (2014)

http://store.storeimages.cdn-apple.c...comp&.v=BjGkN1
    10-06-16 05:39 PM
    The iPhone 5 was released September 21, 2012. It was similar to what you see in the iPhone 6. This was before the HTC one was released.

Google going "all in on hardware"...-2014-09-30-iphone-6-v-5.jpg

However I don't deny they copied HTC in certain elements with the iPhone 6. Same general design but they did a little HTC to soften the design and make it look more sleek, they did copy HTC no arguing about that. But the main element was there already.

Google however went straight ahead and copied the iPhone from all angles even in the wide bezel under the screen, and made it worst by not putting a home button. Google's Pixel is identical to the iPhone in many aspects, major ones, not minor.
    10-06-16 05:50 PM
60 123