I came across this headline on the NPR website, thought it was kind of ironic seeing what's happening at dear old BB.

Google Goes All-In On Hardware With 'Pixel' Phone, Home Assistant, VR Headset : The Two-Way : NPR
    10-04-16 05:16 PM
    Phone is too expensive for what it brings to the table. But the integration vision is what needs to happen and why BB would be left out if they still held any hope for BB10.
    10-04-16 05:22 PM
    I guess I'm getting old because a lot of this stuff in general seems like they are solutions looking for a problem.
    Jack Chin likes this.
    10-04-16 05:28 PM
    Google for a long time and now Apple are both looking into their AI solutions to be Jarvis/Star Trek to their customers and tech is finally able to start to hop that hurdle. People 5-10 years from now will demand it and anyone who doesn't have a workable solution from sun-up to sun-down will be left behind. It will be as big a change in peoples lives as personal computing was 40 years ago.
    10-04-16 05:34 PM
    I think the people at NPR, or more specifically Alina Selyukh who wrote the article, needs to reassess what "all in" means.

Google isn't going "All In" on hardware. At best, they're "taking a stab at hardware" again without any real risk or expectations that it'll be important to them. After all, the last time they tried was with the original Nexus, and that didn't go far (and thus contracted out the subsequent Nexus devices). The whole project could be a colossal failure, and Google wouldn't think twice past "Well gee-whillickers, that was interesting." Because their losses wouldn't even be a blip on the radar.

That being said... yeah the phone is priced pretty friggin high. But at the same time... it looks to be a pretty nice piece-o-hardware.
    10-04-16 05:46 PM
    I guess I'm getting old because a lot of this stuff in general seems like they are solutions looking for a problem.
    Ah yes the garbage can model of decision making.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 07:04 PM
    Ah yes the garbage can model of decision making.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I don't really see the need for a home digital assistant for most people but then again when cell phones were first getting popular in the 80's I thought wow, who needs that. Not me!
    10-04-16 08:14 PM
    Yes, I don't really see the need for a home digital assistant for most people but then again when cell phones were first getting popular in the 80's I thought wow, who needs that. Not me!
    "Smartphone? Who needs a computer in their phone? If I need the computer, I'll sit at my desk."

"Netflix is streaming movies? Who wants to watch movies on their computer? No one is going to hook the Internet up to their TV! I'll stick with DVDs!"

There are always people who lag behind the mainstream, and always people at the cutting edge. The ones who make the big profits are the ones who can make the cutting edge products mainstream. People who cater to those who lag behind usually end up losing money or fail entirely.
    10-04-16 09:04 PM
    Pixel XL will replace my 6p later this year.

Posted via Nexus 6p
    Tsepz_GP and grover5 like this.
    10-05-16 12:25 AM
    "Smartphone? Who needs a computer in their phone? If I need the computer, I'll sit at my desk."

"Netflix is streaming movies? Who wants to watch movies on their computer? No one is going to hook the Internet up to their TV! I'll stick with DVDs!"

There are always people who lag behind the mainstream, and always people at the cutting edge. The ones who make the big profits are the ones who can make the cutting edge products mainstream. People who cater to those who lag behind usually end up losing money or fail entirely.
    Yeah, sign up for a video store franchise now... ;-D

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-05-16 12:46 AM

Posted via Nexus 6p
    The real spirit of Nexus is dead. This is a flagship with corresponding pricing... :-(

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    Randal Yandal likes this.
    10-05-16 12:47 AM
    Would be nice to see Google come to BlackBerry to make their handset, be it Nexus or Pixel. That would be a real seller!

Posted via one of the Last of BlackBerry's Iconic devices
    10-05-16 03:24 AM
    Would be nice to see Google come to BlackBerry to make their handset, be it Nexus or Pixel. That would be a real seller!

Yeah that would never happen.
    10-05-16 04:34 AM

Posted via Nexus 6p
    Why???

I got my lady a 6P for her birthday this year. I can't see that phone being replaced for at least 3 years unless she breaks it by accident.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    Randal Yandal likes this.
    10-05-16 05:38 AM

BlackBerry is making handsets?

10-05-16 05:39 AM

The philosophy behind Google and the philosophy that once drove Blackberry were completely opposed to each other. At its heart, Google is one massive data mining operation. The phones are simply a means to an end.

Posted via CB10
    to boldly go and Sairos like this.
    10-05-16 05:39 AM
    Phone is too expensive for what it brings to the table. But the integration vision is what needs to happen and why BB would be left out if they still held any hope for BB10.
    Ehhh.... The Pixel is relatively well spec'ed/cheap compared to the Z10 in its time and the Z10 sold millions. Millions!
    10-05-16 05:42 AM
    Ehhh.... The Pixel is relatively well spec'ed/cheap compared to the Z10 in its time and the Z10 sold millions. Millions!
    Yeah but people won't be returning their Pixels en masse.

JeepBB likes this.
    10-05-16 06:19 AM
    Ehhh.... The Pixel is relatively well spec'ed/cheap compared to the Z10 in its time and the Z10 sold thousands. Thousands!

Made a minor correction to your post.
    Tsepz_GP and sentimentGX4 like this.
    10-05-16 06:51 AM
    Yeah but people won't be returning their Pixels en masse.

Can't say for certain what will happen as you never know the issues until a phone is out for a bit. Look at bendgate, hissgate, explodegate.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    10-05-16 06:57 AM
    Can't say for certain what will happen as you never know the issues until a phone is out for a bit. Look at bendgate, hissgate, explodegate.

Posted via CB10 on my PP
    There's a difference between exchanging a defective phone and returning it for a completely different one. Bendgate, hissgate, and explodegate saw folks getting replacements of the same phone.

Wherethehellaretheappsgate saw returns of non-defective units with purchases of different phones, specifically ones that didn't have BB10 on them.
    10-05-16 07:53 AM
    There's a difference between exchanging a defective phone and returning it for a completely different one. Bendgate, hissgate, and explodegate saw folks getting replacements of the same phone.

Wherethehellaretheappsgate saw returns of non-defective units with purchases of different phones, specifically ones that didn't have BB10 on them.
    That would've been a long-@$$ hashtag.
    10-05-16 09:09 AM
    All of Google products were released as clones to compete with other products. They're late to the party. Very late indeed, nothing innovative in the way they've done things. Amazon has been more innovative than they're in these products although they are mainly identified mainly as an E-commerce company.

Even their phone looks quite like the iPhone and don't tell me HTC because its an all google design. So lets blame HTC for copying when it comes to their devices. Its a normal thing to copy in this world since all phones practically look alike, but taking it to the next level is not very impressive.

The Pixel only needed a rounded home button to become an iPhone. Actually in their attempt to make it special they didn't add buttons, making it only worst. At times when people are cutting bezels, they've went in and increased them, making the phone your average generic touch-screen phone.

Google suddenly realized how profitable it is to have a complete ecosystem (Aligned with their Business model) and said lets release a bunch of stuff to have a competing product out there. I'm not saying they're bad products, but lets not give them credit for any originality or "cutting edge" stuff, that honor goes to people who started it first. They were actually "lagging behind the mainstream" on this one.
    bh7171 likes this.
    10-05-16 09:33 AM

Given that BlackBerry no longer designs or produces devices, i can't se this happening.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-05-16 09:36 AM
    Given that BlackBerry no longer designs or produces devices, i can't se this happening.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I can't see it happening even if they're still making them xD. People would run away because of the name BlackBerry. Google wants successful hardware companies on the back of their phones, thus why they went with the biggest in the business, excluding LG. Still a nice effort with the 5x.

Not to say that, if BlackBerry produced Nexus/Pixel it would be of bad quality, not at all. Actually, it would be fantastic. They've always hit high scores in design, originality and uniqueness. Unfortunately, the brand-name is too destroyed for Google to have on their phones.
    10-05-16 09:43 AM
60 123